Accuracy issues with my Barrett Rec7 DI 6.8?
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Accuracy issues with my Barrett Rec7 DI 6.8?

I've had a Barrett Rec7 DI 6.8 w/18" match grade [they say...] barrel, 1 in 10 twist, for 6 months and I'm having trouble getting decent groups out of it at even 100 yrds [1-2 MOA, sometimes worse..]. So far I've tried using Barrett 110gr, S&B 110gr PTS, Hornady American Gunner 110gr HPBT, and Hornady Match 110gr HPBT. The Barrett ammo seems to be the most consistent of this bunch, with about 1 MOA at 100 yrds, and 2 MOA at 200 yrds. All the others have been all over the place, some in the bulls eye, some 2-3" off, high, low, right and left, with no wind and normal conditions. I shoot Hornady in my 2 DD 5.56, 18 and 16" barrels all day long at 1 MOA or less to 200 yrds, but for some reason my Barrett in 6.8 doesn't seem to like either of the Hornady I'm shooting. I'm shooting bench rest with bags front and rear, and basically a pretty steady shot, so I think it's either the ammo or my barrel isn't the greatest.
    I was wondering if any other Barrett Rec7 DI 6.8 owners have had any issues with accuracy from their barrel or ammo, or any suggestions as to what I might try to improve things. I don't currently reload, but that may be an option for better consistency. Also thought about going to a 120 grain Hornady to see if that might help get better groups/accuracy. Thanks in advance for any help.

6.8 SPC Addict

I am sorry that I don't have experience with your Barrett platform, but here are a couple of things to consider.

Have you been in touch with Barrett?

Hornady is not your only choice.

Do you reload? *** Edit - Just saw in the OP that you don't reload.

I am thinking that Barrett will get you taken care of.

I know it's frustrating.

Silver

Thanks Silver, no I haven't contacted Barrett yet. I have a feeling they'd tell me to just use their ammo, and I should be happy. Unfortunately, their ammo is one of the most expensive out there, so I was looking for other compatible/accurate factory loads that were less expensive. I hate to complain - the gun itself is frankly beautiful, and shoots like a dream. Even the muzzle brake seems to work really well [although it looks a little pedestrian at first glance]. Nice ALS trigger, very soft recoil and very quick back on target -even better than either of my DD's in 5.56 in that regard. Operationally, the gun is great, I'm just frustrated with the large [and often unpredictable] spread of the groups. I also took my time carefully breaking in the barrel, as my others, in the classic fashion [1 shot, clean X 5, 2 shots, clean X 5, 3 shots, clean X 5, push strokes only, etc].
    I tried looking on the Barrett forum site, but no luck and little activity there - this is clearly the best forum for 6.8 I've found. All that said, I think I'll take your advice and write to Barrett and see what else they'd recommend. I can also try a few other brands of ammo. Hornady has always been one of my favorites, and most accurate in my 5.56's [the 75 grain HPBT's], figured it would be good for the Barrett too but hasn't worked out that way. I'm wondering what other factory ammo others have found to be most accurate in their 6.8's??

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 Member

The hornady v maxs seem the most accurate out of the 4 6.8s I have had.

6.8 SPC Lover

i don't have any Barret experience but i can tell you that S&B PTS is some of the most accurate ammo i've ever shot. and i would bet money that all the others you listed would easily hold 1.5 MOA at 100. i've got the same issue with a Bison 11.5 in bbl. it's all over the place as well. 3 different optics and it's 2 MOA at best, most of the time 2.5 to 3. My other 2 Bison bbls are tack drivers, but not his 11.5.
    Some day your life will flash before your eyes, do something worth watching.

Quote Originally Posted by moboy56 View Post
    i don't have any Barret experience but i can tell you that S&B PTS is some of the most accurate ammo i've ever shot. and i would bet money that all the others you listed would easily hold 1.5 MOA at 100. i've got the same issue with a Bison 11.5 in bbl. it's all over the place as well. 3 different optics and it's 2 MOA at best, most of the time 2.5 to 3. My other 2 Bison bbls are tack drivers, but not his 11.5.

Thanks all your comments. I've tried both varieties of the S&B, the FMJ and the PTS. I agree the PST was a bit more consistent than the FMJ with groups but could still get 2 of 5 shots flying away from the main group by 2 to 3 inches in unexpected directions (@100yds). Haven't tried the Hornady Vmax since I couldn't get the other 2 Hornadys to group well either, but I just ordered the 120 gr SST to see if the heavier bullet (albeit slower) might have a more stable flight path. Also ordered some Rem UMC in 115 Grain, and the Federal 115gr to try. After reading several other posts, it seems many have had accuracy issues with factory loads, with custom reloads being by far the most consistent. Wondering if not only bullet weight may be a factor, but also speed - so are heavier and/or faster (to a reasonable point) more accurate than the opposite? My 77gr 5.56 factory loads certainly are. I don't have a chronometer, but based on "manufacturer specs" I will range test all of them, make up a database/chart and maybe I'll be able to see if there's any correlations to be found. Could be chasing rainbows too... but what the hell, I'll have fun doing it and I may learn something. Will pass on what I find out.

Btw, for those who are interested, I use a Vortex Hog Hunter scope, zero @50 yards (which is nearly .5 to 1" groups in the bullseye with all the ammo - not bad), and I generally have to hold -2" low at 100, and +2" high at 200 yards for all but the Hornady American Gunner which usually required a -1" low hold at 100, and a +1" high hold at 200 - most of the time that is. Sometimes it was -2 and +2 like the others. For all ammo, right to left accuracy seems more variable than up and down for me, but I can't explain why since there's never any wind to speak of when I do my tests. I also usually do a "hard hold" on my rifle, with my left hand grabbing and holding the stock back firmly against my shoulder. One thing I haven't tried ( but found helps with my 5.56's), is to put my left hand over the top of my handguard under or just in front of the scope, pressing down. I haven't noticed a big muzzle rise with the 6.8, so didn't think it would matter, but I'm beginning to believe small things matter more with this cartridge than some others, and it may be more sensitive to small differences in bullet variability (powder, weight, etc) seen with factory ammo vs hand loads. Just my conjecture on the subject, and may be all wrong, as I've just been shooting my 6.8 for 6 months (about once a week at local range near Bellingham, Washington). Many if not most of you fine people have a lot more experience and I appreciate any and all comments and suggestions. Thanks to all.

20170211_165516.jpg

6.8 SPC Fan

I handload for best. Don't have an 18" or Barrett, I have a 16" ARP-AR and a 20" Savage (Bolt) rifle... that being said for factory loads you might try the 120 sst (I see it's on order for you), and the Federal 90 or 115 MSR's. Avoid the Remington if I were you, it's got a real bad rep for 6.8 here, a weak cycling round. ymmv.
    There's also a 90 gr SSA (Nosler) load, but most folks seem to go more for the Federal 90's.
    - Grayfox
    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry

68Forums.com lifer

I do not own a Barret but have had sub MOA with Hornady 120 SST's out of my ARP barrels. I have some of the XM68GD but haven't had time to test any of it out which a lot of people on the forum have had good accuracy with it.

68Forums.com Team Member

Tagged to see Barret's response. I just bought a rec7 genii (5.56) and it's a very nice rifle.
    Disabled US Army combat vet

Quote Originally Posted by Spearjunkie View Post
    I do not own a Barret but have had sub MOA with Hornady 120 SST's out of my ARP barrels. I have some of the XM68GD but haven't had time to test any of it out which a lot of people on the forum have had good accuracy with it.

Based on what you and others have said, along with the Hornady 120 SST, the Hornady 110 Vmax and the Federal 90 gr XM68GD seem to get good accuracy reviews. I will pick up a box or two or each of the later two and try those as well for my shoot out. If I can't get any of these to shoot straight enough, I should probably send my rifle into Barrett and have them check it out. The currently available Barrett ammo in 6.8 has changed from what I have and been using (110 gr, 30 rds/box, and is no longer available). Now it's 115gr, 20 rd box for $26 on their site. I have zero idea if it shoots anywhere close to the same as my older stuff. I have 2 boxes left of that, enough to finish my shoot out comparison at least. I hope to conduct this next weekend, weather permitting.

Search tags for this page

barrett rec7 accuracy

Click on a term to search for related topics.