6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 60 of 213 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
[/QUOTE]
"Impulse buy." Not one of us has ever done that, no. Really, she's shaping up nicely. Look, i'm soon to ptt (pull the trigger) on a large frame receiver too, so if you would share when you know: the fit and function of the goodies, the bcg, the handguard, the barrel and nut, etc., how they fit and feel together? You're getting close to serious fun, Donkin.[/QUOTE]

So far everything fits very nice. The RRA lower parts kit is very nice and fits well. The MBT-2 trigger from LaRue is amazing IMO... Been playing with it and it's very nice, especially only for the 99 I paid. The MEGA MATEN is very well made and finished extraordinarily well. It's very solid so far with what is put together. The Alpha Shooting Sports Melonite BCG seems very well made. First LR308 build and I'm learning alot about parts compatibility... They really need a standard lol.

Discussion starter · #42 ·
...I decided to go with 7mm-08 for my long range LR-308 build.

Why might you ask? Well after seeing that one can load a 162gr ELD-M to 2700-2800 fps out of a 22" barrel I was sold. Further solidifying my desision was that Lapua makes brass for the 7mm-08 making it easier to load match grade ammunition.
I've been shooting a 20" LMT 7mm-08 and a 22" Thompson Center Dimension (both also have .308 barrels) for over 1 1/2 years, and I'm sold on 7mm! Now that Hornady has released their 150gr ELD-X bullets, I'm even more excited. I've had plenty of fellas try to talk me out of 7mm-08 in favor of .260 Remington and/or 6.5 Creedmoor, but I'm invested in 7mm enough that I don't see myself switching (or even adding) anytime soon. My next, planned build is also on 7mm-08 - still taking shape, as I continue to plan/shop. I'll be eager to follow your reports on your build.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Those LMTs are very nice! My hope is to build a 1/2 moa LR308 and to get some 162s moving. Do you have any good loads that work well for your LMT in the 162gr bullet range? Planning to load out to 2.83 and experiment with some reloder 19, Vagret, Hybrid100V, IMR 4166, and maybe some reloder 17. Reloder 19 seems like it's too slow but Ive heard many using it for heavier 7mm-08 bullets and loaded longer, but limited to 2.83-2.86 due to the mag might hinder me a bit. If so I'll save it for when I build out a bolt gun in 7mm-08 next year.

I have been shooting it for quite some time but didn't put as much time and attention as other rounds including a few wildcats.
Now with the new heavy barrel I am going to work out the 175's and 180's.
The 6.5mm are really nice but the advantages of the 7mm are too many to ignore it.
A few years back there were a couple of guys in the SH already pushing the 168s and 175s to 2850 and 2750s with 25" tactical barrels.
A copy cat of the M40 with a long magazine leaves all the other 308w based rounds in the dust in terms of trajectory and momentum on the target.
Ideally with the 162gr is not too much of an upgrade from 140s in 6.5mm to make it uncomfortable to shoot yet the trajectories, ballistics and energy on the target
cannot be beaten by any other bore in this case category.
Simply put, the 7mm are the best performing bullets in weights that can be shoot by civilized cartridges the people can be accurate shooting with and on top even
tackle heavy game if that is desired.
I shot the 308w a lot, by the truck load and it is a super popular and amazing round but it seems the versatility the 7mm-08 provides is very hard to beat
and IMO a logical and simple transition from the venerable 308. I have lots of 308w brass that I resize and use for the 7mm-08 so this is another advantage.
Lapua brass is the best but if you have 308 once fired brass will never be w/o brass. The lapua sm is also an amazing donor for super strong 7mm reloads.

100gr-110gr varmint loads come out screaming up to 3,300fps
120gr solids and bt can clock 3100 wiht sd above .2 and G1 above .4 can take mid game (deer) up to 500 yards with manageable recoil. several factory loads
clock close to 2900fps from 22" barrels. There is no much difference from a mighty 270 in practical terms.
140gr-150gr will do deer as well as hogs but also tackle elk with authority.
140gr-160gr shot from AR magazines will extend the effective range of the AR from 800mt (308w) to 1000-1100 mts yet recoil will be comparable.
160gr-175gr will make it up to 1400-1500 yards supersonic with just 7.5-8 mils at 1000 yards!
175gr bonded and partition bullets are more than appropriate for moose, bison and other large animals.

So much versatility IMO.

"Impulse buy." Not one of us has ever done that, no. Really, she's shaping up nicely. Look, i'm soon to ptt (pull the trigger) on a large frame receiver too, so if you would share when you know: the fit and function of the goodies, the bcg, the handguard, the barrel and nut, etc., how they fit and feel together? You're getting close to serious fun, Donkin.[/QUOTE]

So far everything fits very nice. The RRA lower parts kit is very nice and fits well. The MBT-2 trigger from LaRue is amazing IMO... Been playing with it and it's very nice, especially only for the 99 I paid. The MEGA MATEN is very well made and finished extraordinarily well. It's very solid so far with what is put together. The Alpha Shooting Sports Melonite BCG seems very well made. First LR308 build and I'm learning alot about parts compatibility... They really need a standard lol.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that feedback, Donkin. I'm taking more and more of a shine to the Mega Maten now, and think I'll bite next time one pops up. You and 6.8 forums once again effect good things, informed 'bidness decisions not the least of 'em.

Just keep in mind the mega are very good fits but they are not compatible with the DPMS uppers as they have
a different shape and fit in the back with a slant / straight angle vs. a curve.

They are amazing and very well cut but just so you know they are not compatible SR25/dpms receivers. All other parts are the same.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
"Impulse buy." Not one of us has ever done that, no. Really, she's shaping up nicely. Look, i'm soon to ptt (pull the trigger) on a large frame receiver too, so if you would share when you know: the fit and function of the goodies, the bcg, the handguard, the barrel and nut, etc., how they fit and feel together? You're getting close to serious fun, Donkin.
So far everything fits very nice. The RRA lower parts kit is very nice and fits well. The MBT-2 trigger from LaRue is amazing IMO... Been playing with it and it's very nice, especially only for the 99 I paid. The MEGA MATEN is very well made and finished extraordinarily well. It's very solid so far with what is put together. The Alpha Shooting Sports Melonite BCG seems very well made. First LR308 build and I'm learning alot about parts compatibility... They really need a standard lol.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for that feedback, Donkin. I'm taking more and more of a shine to the Mega Maten now, and think I'll bite next time one pops up. You and 6.8 forums once again effect good things, informed 'bidness decisions not the least of 'em.[/QUOTE]

Like 1stMarine said... If you go MATEN they are only compatible with other MATEN receiver sets. If you want a DPMS high profile you might want to check out Matrix arms... they make a DPMS receiver set for 399 MSRP so its around 200 less than the MATEN. But the MATEN are very very well made. It would only matter if you are planning to have multiple uppers... you would have to have all MATEN uppers to fit the lower. Another thought is the monolithic MATEN.... they are a true free float system kinda like the larue OBR but also around 900 (if you can find them)... so its like paying 300-350 for the rail that comes with it. I would have gone that rout if I was ever able to find one, and I may go that rout on my next build... if I get a higher paying job lol (or they bring back the reenlistment bonus in my career field :a20:)

Okay I felt an impulse hitting me so i gave in to it and just ordered the new Maten "megalithic" with 14" key mod rather than the old Maten with that proprietary receiver/handguard connection.
http://www.megaarms.com/maten/receiver-sets/billet-upper-lower-sets/mts-4440-sa/
Looks like they're going for more standardization. Identical to your set, donkin, but without that nib treatment
This impulse buy is on you, Donkin and marine.

Never used a reduced weight bcg but read good things about these here for .308
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...ar-low-mass-bolt-carrier-group-prod42981.aspx

Discussion starter · #50 ·
Can't go wrong with the megalithic... Those monolithic reciever sets are very nice. It's a very good system. I got my reciever set when NOTHING was available lol. I got it from some obscure site someone posted here... I would have def saved the extra cash for the megalithic for this build in hindsight. Good buy. I don't think you will be disappointed.

It is nice to know one has rich friends! lol
There is one simple trick that one can do that minimizes the effect of downward pressure on the receiver and while it is not a monolitic it is quite effective and it costs almost nothing.
One needs to find a coupler or section of shallow rail to act as a coupler between the upper receiver and the rail but w/o interfering wiht the optics mount or optics themselves.
Anthing with enough clearance should work w/o spending more than 10 bucks or so...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-16-inch-5...220473?hash=item23679d58b9:g:Ic4AAOSwdrRXGDSY

Or even get a 45 degree offset mount and mill/cut the slots if you have to and paint wiht black. They key is that you have two strong screws and also they do not index in both
sides so it can ride from the receiver into the rail and help distribute the load on the handguard so this way will not impact the barrel even when shooting prone and whether
you do push or pull shooting even shooting prone downhill where one might even put more load on the bipod or handguard.

This is inexpensive and light and I know it works. ACE hardware sells stronger M3 and M4 bolts if needed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Degree-O...088640?hash=item33c194d500:g:-70AAOSwmLlX5C4W

Also under any circumstances the scope mount or scope should touch this piece nor be used to ride over to be used to join both parts. The optics and mount should be totally independent w/o interference.

DO MORE WITH LESS!

Discussion starter · #52 ·
The first one will most likely work with the base I have on my 2.5-10 NXS... its a larue tactical and is pretty high... don't think the scope would touch but grinding the coupler down would work pretty well.

The first one will most likely work with the base I have on my 2.5-10 NXS... its a larue tactical and is pretty high... don't think the scope would touch but grinding the coupler down would work pretty well.
A coupler will need anote flat section on top that could be any thin rail. But I think it will be cheaper to buy one of those offsets and simply mill it or cut it. nobody can tell the difference. All you are doing is adding some rigidity to help
with the AR's weak spot.

Heads up: just registered that you're using an .875" adj. GB so scratch the Wilson rail off the options list--its 1.47" interior clearance is way too restrictive. I learned the hard way with an slr .875" dimple screw in, which is smaller than your SA model. Will delete. Apologies. Let us know what'll clear that 1.6" clamp on.

Heads up: just registered that you're using an .875" adj. GB so scratch the Wilson rail off the options list--its 1.47" interior clearance is way too restrictive. I learned the hard way with an slr .875" dimple screw in, which is smaller than your SA model. Will delete. Apologies. Let us know what'll clear that 1.6" clamp on.
And this one here claims it's .1" shorter than the Superlative, just FYI.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=915

And this one here claims it's .1" shorter than the Superlative, just FYI.
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57&product_id=915
And here's a handguard that claims 1.55" clearance which could clear Suprerlative's dimple screw model bock.
http://www.jtactical.com/AR-10-Free-Float-Hand-Guard_p_36.html

I want to thank you guys for posting all this information. I've been wanting to build an AR308 pattern rifle for some time now and this is exactly what I needed. I'm also a 7mm 08 fan.
Time to start on parts.

I'll have questions of my own and post them as they come up.
Thanks, Joe

41 - 60 of 213 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.