6.8 SPC Forums banner

7mm-08 Long Range Build Project

63K views 212 replies 30 participants last post by  Ammunition Attrition 
#1 · (Edited)
So after talking to several people here on this forum and a few people from my work I decided to go with 7mm-08 for my long range LR-308 build.

Why might you ask? Well after seeing that one can load a 162gr ELD-M to 2700-2800 fps out of a 22" barrel I was sold. Further solidifying my desision was that Lapua makes brass for the 7mm-08 making it easier to load match grade ammunition.

It is my opinion after researching heavily that the 08 is a superior long range round than the 6.5 CM or 260 REM. With some of the newer bullets with very high BCs coming out and already out for the 7mm-08 and the ability to load from 110 to 180 grain projectiles makes it almost as versitile as the 308, but with far better long range capabilities.

This platform is being built since I now live near a 1k range and want to learn distance shooting beyond the 400-500 yards I have shot at I'm the past. This is not a ?safe Queen just because? build. It will be a workhorse and my main practice rifle, the one I will take to some long range tactical course and possibly do some longer range hunting with. I fully expect this sucker to get banged up.

The build:

Reciever set- MEGA Nickle boron matched billet with RRA lower parts kit.
Barrel- Semi-bull Kreiger 5R Match with custom chamber. (Thanks 1stmarine)
Gas Block- Superlative .875 clamp on Melonite.
Muzzle device- SLR SR30
BCG- Alpha Shooting Sports Melonite Premium.
Trigger group- laRue MBT-2S.
Rail- still have not purchased this yet... Waiting on a clearance question but it it fits going to go with the Matrix areospace Lavi 308 15" rail. Sucker is super light.
Buffer tube- POF 7 position kit.
Stock- Magpul PRS G3.
Optics- still a debate but most likely a gen 2 vortex pst up to 25x magnification.
Bipod- between Harris or a GG&G ATM.. depending on funds.

Adding an additional coupler between the receiver set and the rail for added stability as well.

Would like to thank 1stmarine for all the time spent and guidance given in assisting me with this build! Guy is a wealth of knowledge for long range builds!

Pics to come as it all comes together!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi man.
No need to say thanks. I cannot remember the number of times forum members helped me in the past.

Glad you went with 7mm. You will not be disappointed.
I will be happy to post some reference load data as we move along.

IMO there are two bullets one must have in your arsenal:

A) Berger 168gr hybrid VLD
B) Hornady 162gr ELD or if you find some amax for good price those work great too even with melting tips and everything.

I am now looking into the heavier bullets for the bolt action but those above will be perfect for the AR.
Hornady just released a load in 150gr bullets that while is not loaded to its full potential it seems an improvement in the right
direction. Just in case you want to try that one for practice or what not. I have not tried that one yet.

The professional training will be awesome and the best money ever spent.

#3 ·
This is the Forster trimmer that I use for most calibers. One pass, no chanfering or deburring. IMO the best 3 way cutter in the market.
Very consistent. The only way to trim brass consistently on a motorized unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Forster-Cas...1452?hash=item2a6299c69c:g:dvUAAOSwwpdW2GH C

I need to make a video. What I have done is to make the power unit stationary so I don't need the right hand to drive the drill. I simply push the entire base that is on a sliding
bracket into the power and done. There are a few simple tips and tricks to make the forster the best and fastest preparation unit one can have. When I say fast I mean fast
but even if it is not the fastest in the world it is the most consistent cut that is the most important part of all. spreads on are within 1 thousands most of the time.

#5 ·
Just picked up a box of each today. 162 ELD X and 168 Berger VLD. Making brass for the 7-08 from 308. Measurements on the necks are good and not sticking in chamber. Have plenty of clearance. I have more 308 brass than you can shake a stick at so I'm gonna use it. Even using the thickest I have (without turning), I still have .0025-.003" of clearance in the neck. Super stoked about the B.C.'s on these bullets. Told a buddy of mine at the range yesterday that just bought a Ruger Precision rifle in 6.5 Creed that I'm bringing back a throwback and were gonna shut that 6.5 sh!t down with some old school. People have no idea about the 7-08.

#6 ·
7-08 is an excellent round, also one of the few that really benefit from AI treatment, although that may not be ideal for an auto loader. 7-08 used to be real popular in silhouette. I've got a box and a half of 7-08 factory ammo still kicking around from the last one I had. I thoroughly considered it for my next build, but have decided 6.5x47L or 6br (Norma).

I think you will be very pleased with the round for your intended purposes.

-Alexander

#8 ·
That is interesting. I have been reading about some people working wiht 175gr bonded but don't know how far I can push it with even heavier bullets.
To me this is the real advantage of the 7mm that can put more momentum on the target than the 308 itself and any 6.5(obviously) but still with same trajectories
and even slightly better than the 6.5 calibers. Barrel life is a lot closer to the 308 barrel life too.

Do you know what bullets, load and game taken are preferred by the locals?

This year I am working on a 1:8 twist heavy barrel bolt action to test the limits of the round.

Any data would be greatly appreciated.

#9 ·
#10 ·
I follow Nathan's work. He has very good dissections on terminal effect. I think he needs to work a bit more on his 7mm/08 loads with the latest bullets too.

Love that black bear country. all good stuff.

#11 ·
I have a Stevens 200 in 7mm08. I'm sure it has a slow twist. What would be the best twist for the heavy bullets? I'm thinking a 8 twist. I would like to completely rebuild the gun, new stock, trigger, the whole thing for long range shooting.

A little history behind the gun. I pick up the gun for $200. I put a scope on it and found some 110gr factory ammo in my pile of what the hell do I have this ammo for pile. I bore sighted the scope and took it to the woods. In the timber I had a yote jump out in front of me at about 40 yards. Pulled up the gun and pulled the trigger. Bam! Dead yote. First time I ever shot the gun lol. So now I really like the gun.

#13 ·
I've been seeing some good R19 loads with heavier bullets... Speer load manual has their 175gr going 2650 fps with it... Might be able to push a little more as well. That's at 2.8... You can load out to 2.86 with ASC mags. So the round really does well with light to heavy bullets and all in between! Check out some of the new Hornady factory ammo as well 150g http://m.hornady.com/store/7mm-08-Rem BC of .57 and 2770 fps. You can hand load it hotter but for factory ammo that's really really good. Expensive though...

#15 ·
Alco released a bunch of heavier bullets including a 208gr with G1: .945

http://www.alcobullets.com/7mm-bullets/

For the 284 in a long action. But those are designed with some magnums and short magnums in mind shot from long actions too.

IMO there is no need to go too much above the 180gr even with largest cases. Those are laser beams already with well priced bullets and within the more manageable recoil limits.

But yes, the 7mm are getting some new records in ballistics performance w/o the need for special rifle actions or massive weight, expense and recoil.

#16 ·
Wow those ALCO 175 grain... .91 G1 would be nice.. wonder how long they are.. might be able to hit 2600 out of mag length loading if they aren't super long... That would be a great round and out performing any other AR 10 standard loadings. Wow. A bit expensive at over .80 each. But might be worth playing around with for matches.

#19 ·
yes those are for matches, holidays and special weekends!
you have people all over paying 2 and 3 dollars for CNC bullets.
I don't think we need to worry about those things for this.

One thing about the bullets is that you might want bullet comparator for 7mm unless you have one. Don't need to spend a lot.
I have the hornady system but I also have the universal gauge that looks like a hex bolt that is dirt cheap and works great too.
One can even fabricate a diy version that is reliable and easily. Same for a case comparator.

#23 ·
So after talking to several people here on this forum and a few people from my work I decided to go with 7mm-08 for my long range LR-308 build.

Why might you ask? Well after seeing that one can load a 162gr ELD-M to 2700-2800 fps out of a 22" barrel I was sold. Further solidifying my desision was that Lapua makes brass for the 7mm-08 making it easier to load match grade ammunition.

It is my opinion after researching heavily that the 08 is a superior long range round than the 6.5 CM or 260 REM. With some of the newer bullets with very high BCs coming out and already out for the 7mm-08 and the ability to load from 110 to 180 grain projectiles makes it almost as versitile as the 308, but with far better long range capabilities.

This platform is being built since I now live near a 1k range and want to learn distance shooting beyond the 400-500 yards I have shot at I'm the past. This is not a ?safe Queen just because? build. It will be a workhorse and my main practice rifle, the one I will take to some long range tactical course and possibly do some longer range hunting with. I fully expect this sucker to get banged up.

The build:

Reciever set- MEGA Nickle boron matched billet with RRA lower parts kit.
Barrel- Semi-bull Kreiger 5R Match with custom chamber. (Thanks 1stmarine)
Gas Block- Superlative .875 clamp on Melonite.
Muzzle device- SLR SR30
BCG- Alpha Shooting Sports Melonite Premium.
Trigger group- laRue MBT-2S.
Rail- still have not purchased this yet... Waiting on a clearance question but it it fits going to go with the Matrix areospace Lavi 308 15" rail. Sucker is super light.
Buffer tube- POF 7 position kit.
Stock- Magpul PRS G3.
Optics- still a debate but most likely a gen 2 vortex pst up to 25x magnification.
Bipod- between Harris or a GG&G ATM.. depending on funds.

Adding an additional coupler between the receiver set and the rail for added stability as well.

Would like to thank 1stmarine for all the time spent and guidance given in assisting me with this build! Guy is a wealth of knowledge for long range builds!

Pics to come as it all comes together!
+1 on that. All it takes is a little reading of our balistic/loading tables and we'll regret a lot fewer calls we make in this world, brother. Barrel 'n bolt'll be here long before the receiver of choice, but patience pays many dividends....

#24 ·
I found this youtuber project online. Not necessarily all the things I would do including the garbage scope but also not too bad.
Here he explains his logic for the 7mm and practical approach that is solid. Even when he said the 6.5 and 270 shoot flatter but that is not true
depending on the bullets and when you look at the best bullets available.

Anyway I think is entertaining and perhaps a challenge for someone repurposing a basic rifle on a tight budget...

#28 ·
Not everything he does is the best choice but it is entertaining and relatively well organized. The axis 2 comes with the accutrigger now. Also the axis action can be cut and trued on the front for the regular
recoil lug making it a very strong action and since it takes savage 10/11 barrels and bolt heads then one has a lot of options to build a very strong rifle on a budget.
Also with prices for the savage 10/11 around $420-430 wiht a nikon scope one should seriously consider the legendary 10/11 action IMO.

#29 ·
I agree, not everything he did was the ideal choice, but within his $500 constraint I think he did a good job. I would have chosen a different scope, even with his budget, but that price point is a crap shoot anyways.

-Alexander

#30 ·
Good choice on the 7mm. The 6.5's are getting a lot of love because the creed is new and Hornady is making some really good match ammo for it but the newer high bc 7mms are having an impact in the long range game. Guys are even necking up 6.5x284 brass to 7mm. Talk about irony. Sierra makes 2 heavies with 700 bc's but they may be too long for the 7/08 case.

#31 ·
you got that right the irony of having survived through the 6.5 only to have to go back to the parent 284 bore to get better ballistics.
This tells you how easy is to get the clueless masses to buy "a better caliber" based on marketing information & dollars alone.

#36 ·
That's good. Whatever feels good is important. Putting a rifle starting with the bullet is like going to the tailor to get a suit done. Everything should be done to fit you and not the other way around.

#37 ·
Going to go through alot of 162gr eld-ms, eld-xs and 168gr bergers for sure lol. My wife asked what I wanted for my birthday... I told her 162gr ELDs and Lapua brass lol. Love my wife. Will be some time until I get my hands on a scope, selling my 300 Bo to find that purchase. Im 90% going with vortex gen 2 pst. But I do have my Night Force NXS 2.5-10 that I will use for practice until then :)

#38 · (Edited)
Damn, I thought you were further along. Mine's done, couldn't wait any longer, started on load development this evening. 168 Beger VLD's with H 4895. OCW test Friday. Getting ready for long range match in March. Natchez shooters supply still has Weaver Tactical 3-15x FFP IEMD reticle for $589. Solid optic, graet reticle. It's a steal.
https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-su...llum-enhanced-mil-dot-reticle-emdr-matte.html

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.