Brass is Brass is Brass. Do different factory ammo loads use different Brass? - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6.8 SPC Addict

I can only reply on Federal brass. I have a friend that works at Federal (ATK). He has told me Manny times the American Eagle brass is seconds. Usually the primer pocket is just a tad on the large side. I have reloaded the MSR, XM68GD and the AE labeled brass. I can say without a doubt that the primer pockets loosen up much faster on the AE brass.
    Mark
    NRA Life Member
    Toolroom Mgr
    Ex Toolmaker
    Ex Pro Hydroplane pilot
    Ex Jack of all trades. My kids know it all now!

"This year will go down history. For the first time a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient
    and the world will follow our lead into the future." Adolf Hitler, 1935

6.8 SPC Addict

Quote Originally Posted by nedro View Post
    Why yes, yes I am.
    I'm in the process of throwing out old useless info so I can put new info into this old brain of mine. It's quite the undertaking.
    I am not new to reloading.

You seem to think that what you have learned in other trades is transferable to reloading, including the terminology. You need to take a step back and listen to what people are telling you.

A staked primer is a staked primer. You still need to remove material or swage the primer pocket to properly engage a new primer into the case.

A crimped primer is just a better way of securing the primer to milspec. I swage and go with it.

Lake City has done some staking in the past and I have used the brass with good results. I swage the primer pocket and all is good.

I have not seen any staked Lake City brass for a few years now unless it is old stuff, and then it has only been 5.56. I can't say if they stopped staking primers or not, other than than I've seen nothing newer than about 2006 or so that was staked.

I could be wrong here but I have never heard of any staked 6.8SPC ammo. It has all been crimped unless there has been no additional securing of the primer other than press fit.

I do not buy 6.8 ammunition. I have enjoyed the development process and listen to those that know what is going on. It has worked out good for me.

I am not new to reloading.

Silver
    Last edited by Ole Silver; 01-14-2017 at 07:34 PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

Thanks Ole Silver.
    Lesson learned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com Team Member

It's neither here nor there as it pertains to this thread, but as an interesting point in 6.8 history, Remington's earliest ammo was staked at three points.

Last edited by Nswish; 01-14-2017 at 09:32 PM.
    Hidden Content
    See the full collection of 6.8SPC Headstamps here...
    Hidden Content
    6.8 Remington 6.8mm 6.8SPC Headstamps
    6.8spc Hornady 6.8spc SSA 6.8spc Sellier & Bellot 6.8spc Federal 6.8spc S&B

6.8 SPC Fan

That was what I was referring to.
    But I'm not here to argue. I just want to learn.

6.8 SPC Fan

When it comes down to the definition if the terms, staking is the correct word here. The industry has been incorrectly using the word crimp. Bearings are often "ring-staked" in bell cranks and fittings in the same manner primers are secured in military brass.