Brass is Brass is Brass. Do different factory ammo loads use different Brass?
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6.8 SPC Fan

Default Brass is Brass is Brass. Do different factory ammo loads use different Brass?

As stated.
    Does Hornady use the same Brass for their American Gunner line as they do for their SPC 120gr SST Custom loads?
    Does Federal use the same Brass for their MSR Fusion as they do for their American Eagle loads? And so on.
    I'm looking to stock up on Hornady Brass via their AG line.
    Anything wrong with that?
    Thanks.

6.8 SPC Lover

just from looking at it an reloading it, i'd say they use the same brass for both loadings.. but i could be wrong.
    Some day your life will flash before your eyes, do something worth watching.

68Forums.com Team Member

Federal will be the same regardless of the box or bullet, as will Remington. Hornady on the other hand could very well be different from one load to the next. I have vmax on hand that is loaded in both the brass that S&B makes for Hornady and in brass that Hornady makes in house, different boxes of ammo of course, but same bullet. Those two brasses are very different in terms of durability and case capacity, so do not mix those two. The S&B brass is considered better than the Hornady. Of course S&B makes their own brass too for the 6.8, and its headstamped as such, but its right in line with the brass that they make for Hornady, they could be interchanged on the loading bench without issue. At this point, there are so many versions of SSA that those should really be sorted by headstamp and kept separated.

Check out the headstamps here for visuals of whats what and made by which company. http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...l=1#post487939

See the full collection of 6.8SPC Headstamps here...

6.8 Remington 6.8mm 6.8SPC Headstamps
    6.8spc Hornady 6.8spc SSA 6.8spc Sellier & Bellot 6.8spc Federal 6.8spc S&B

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by nedro View Post
    As stated.
    Does Hornady use the same Brass for their American Gunner line as they do for their SPC 120gr SST Custom loads?
    Does Federal use the same Brass for their MSR Fusion as they do for their American Eagle loads? And so on.
    I'm looking to stock up on Hornady Brass via their AG line.
    Anything wrong with that?
    Thanks.
    Yes Hornady has 2 kinds of brass, with slightly different markings. And the internal volume (I'm talking off the top of my head, as I recall this was researched a little while ago), and the average brass weight differs.
    The stamp "6.8 mm SPC" I've found in factory ammo, it's made by s&b and mirrors the load performance and volume of S&B and SSA. The stamp "6.8 mm REM spc" (you find this in the unprimed brass boxes) still uses the small primer but otherwise is much similar in volume to the Remington brass. If I recall my notes, the Remington brass has about 2-3% less volume.
    Also, I did some reading on Remington and Winchester brass in 308 b/c there were differences again. There are 2 typical brass alloys used, with slightly different makeup and therefore slighty different properties and more importantly, differing metal densities. Basically an 80-20 brass and a 60-40 brass. So some of the "weight" difference is taken up by the density difference, the rest can be internal volume diff's, since the outer dimensions of the casing are basically the same for a given cartridge.
    I would think that a given ammo mfr would stick to the same alloy of brass but in Hornady's case I'm not sure... maybe, maybe not.
    - Grayfox
    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry

68Forums.com Team Member

The only other change in a manufacturer's brass cases would be in getting new material to run a new lot of brass. Brass lots can differ just as powder lots differ as even when the formula is the same there are slight differences.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

6.8 SPC Fan

OK,
    So it looks like all the stamps on the Hornady I have are the same. 120 gr SST is loaded in the same brass as American Gunner.
    Hornady 6.8 mm SPC, centered, without the REM and are not swedged.
    So as far as what I've researched, these are Stellier & Bellot current manufactured brass.
    That's good news. I'm collecting this brass for reloading.

68Forums.com lifer

OK,

Hornady 6.8 mm SPC, centered, without the REM and are not swedged.
    What is this swedged that you talkth about???
    To swage is to remove of a primer crimp without reaming. A primer gets a crimp if the company is crimping their primers into the pocket thus requiring one to swage or ream the crimp from the brass in order to insert a new primer.

Just wait till next season!

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by CaptGrumpy View Post
    What is this swedged that you talkth about???
    To swage is to remove of a primer crimp without reaming. A primer gets a crimp if the company is crimping their primers into the pocket thus requiring one to swage or ream the crimp from the brass in order to insert a new primer.
    Old mechanic here who used to swege studs. It's not technically crimping either if you want to go there. It's actually staking.
    Crimping would be if you squeezed the outer circumference until it trapped the primer. Just like you do to an electrical connection.
    So my apologies.
    Last edited by nedro; 01-14-2017 at 02:54 PM.

6.8 SPC Addict

Old mechanic here who used to swege studs. It's not technically crimping either if you want to go there. It's actually staking.
    Crimping would be if you squeezed the outer circumference until it trapped the primer. Just like you do to an electrical connection.
    So my apologies.
    Oh my. New to reloading are you?

Silver

6.8 SPC Fan

Why yes, yes I am.
    I'm in the process of throwing out old useless info so I can put new info into this old brain of mine. It's quite the undertaking.