6.8 SPC Forums banner

22 Nosler??

116K views 465 replies 66 participants last post by  Rocketvapor 
#1 ·
#297 · (Edited)
My 22N 85gr RDF ammo order came in today.
If all goes well I'll compare a few against my IMR4350 Hagar handloads Friday.

The box says 2750fps. I hope that's from an 18" barrel and not a 24"

I'm looking for at least 2850fps to match wind drift of my 75gr loads.
Sure hope the 85 likes to jump.
Here's the factory round loaded to 2.250" OAL compared to a 0.010" jump 2.364250" OAL :)
Ammunition Metal Gun accessory Bullet

and the sale is over. Back to the ridiculous regular price.

#298 · (Edited)
Still have to calculate averages from the chrono (ran loads sequentially and have to compare to the log) but in general
My best 75gr Amax load (24") seemed to be around 3050fps,
the 80 ELD about 2950,
and the 85 RDF factory loads made just over 2850.
Stayed up late Friday night loading ammo and drove over to Pascagoula Saturday morning for the 600 F Open.
Didn't do so well :(

First the list of excuses

Changed the jump I had previously used on the 80gr bullets (doubt that had an impact). Also shot a box of the factory 85gr RDF with about the same poor results. The Factory 85's had about 1 MOA more drop than my hand loaded 80's.

I ONLY had a 24 power scope.

Wind was screwy. Would be a good excuse if my vertical was tight (wasn't).

New scope mount is too low and forced me to cheek the stock hard it get in line prone.
Worked fine from the bench but I just could not get behind it prone. Centerline of the 30mm scope is 1.29" above the flat top.
The previous mount I used was 1.55" and is probably better. Guess I need to do some more prone dry fire and get to the range more often. Looking at buying one that is 1.45" with a built in 20.
My dope with a 100yd zero is 11 to 12 MOA @600, and 28-30 if I ever get to 1000. A 20 MOA mount would split the difference.

Forgot to start the camera, so no video this time. Wouldn't have posted them anyway

Score for the day was 85.5%, 60 rounds, 4X.
My first sighter, cold bore was an X, a few scattered through the day, and the last shot of the day was an X. The darn 7's, 8's, and nines killed it.
Used only 22N cases. Brass is fine but I did have some stickage with the handloads.

Still had fun in the sun though. Better than cutting grass.

#302 ·
Still haven't cut the grass. RAIN :)

The AR in 22N is a loser. Puts me in F-Open, along side things like the 6.5X284 :(
But I felt like I could do much better than I did. Just didn't feel right.
Once things got rolling poorly it messed with my chi.
I'll keep trying though. It's more about improving ME than buying a winning rifle.

Hitting the little 3 inch X on my cold bore shot was a kick though.
Sighted in at 100 the day before, dialed in for 600. Blam.

I've added a plate to the rear bag, and made a new front bag rider.
Now to order a bunch of diving weights to bring this little AR up closer to the 28 pound weight limit of F-Open (kidding, sort of).

#311 · (Edited)
After my poor performance at 600yd decided I needed some more practice at 100.
Took my 17 pound AR to the HoneyIsland Shooting Range Sunday.
Shot up the rest of the 80gr CFE223 loads that didn't do so great in Pascagoula and guess what?
They didn't do well at 100 either. Groups around 1.5 MOA.
I must have done something wrong with the whole batch.

The purpose of this range trip was to zero the Warne 20 MOA mount and play around with jump.
Loaded up some touching (very light jam), and tried for 10, 20, 30, and 0.040" jump.
The -0.010" turned out -0.008" so I changed each bunch to 8 thou shorter.
(-008, -016, -024, and -032)

Used the same load of IMR4350 for all of them. Most groups were under 1MOA @ 100yds.
Since I have excuses for bad groups, these might have just been luck.

I also took two boxes of factory 85gr RDF. Those also shot under an MOA but at a different POI than the 80/CFE223 and 80/IMR4350 handloads.
Results for this one range trip?

The CFE223 loads, while faster resulted in some hard extractions (manual, no gas) and soot of the necks.
The IMR4350 loads and the factory 85's extracted easily.
The 80 ELD seems to like to jump. The shorter lengths had smaller groups.

With the current velocities I get with the 80 and 85's the 80 has less drift and drop at the ranges I shoot at.
450yd twice a year in South Florida for a fun competition and 600yds F-Open at Pascagoula.
I will need to work up with the 85 to benefit.
For reference I'm using 2980 for the 80's and 2865 for the 85's.
At least I got most of them at clearance prices :)
The Nosler brass survived.

I'll post a picture, realizing this could have been a fluke, caused by luck or planet alignment :)
I usually hover right at 1MOA.
Started on the plate just off to the right, to adjust for the new 20MOA mount, then moved to the bottom dot.
Was able to track right in to the dot in 5 shots.Then on to the other dots.
Then the groups started opening up to my normal 1MOA.
Next trip I will try just a little more jump. Between 20 and 40. The 0.024" seem best.
Wall Paper Paper product Rectangle

At the end of the day compared the remaining 0.032" jump loads to the factory loads.
Soil World Games Play

Note the right shift of the 85's. Happened all day switching between the 80's and the 85's. Why??????

#312 ·
Nice report on your work. The cartridge will shoot with the right stuff behind it beyond any doubt.

The POI variation is due to different velocities and different BC on the bullets. The harmonics of the barrel change as any variable is introduced. Some rifles act worse than others. It can even change with different crimp pressures on the bullet in conjunction with bullet jump as you work up your loads with same same components.

Greg

#313 · (Edited)
Different loads have produced vertical shifts but this is the first time I "noticed" a horizontal shift.
Maybe it was masked by larger groups.
The Factory 85 shot good groups, just different :)

I hope I can repeat this next time. I was stuck at 1 MOA (or a little more) for a Looong time :)

I'm waiting for Breastroker to come in and tell me he could build 3 AR's with a total weight of less than 17 pounds
:) :)

#314 ·
Two years ago I built my 204 Ruger up for longer distance shooting. https://68forums.com/forums/showthr...e-204-Ruger-AR-15/page5&highlight=Ruger+build

Rifle 204 Ruger weighs about 11 pounds now, but can get it back to 5.2 pounds in ten minutes
Put 4 one pound lead bars into the A2 stock.

So if I put that stock on my 22 Nosler with the telephone pole CMMG 24 inch barrel

Just got the super heavy 24" bull barrel 22 Nosler barrel from Ballistic Advantage. Came in under listed @ 71.10 ounces.

The upper will include:

BA 24" barrel @ 71.1 ounces
Lantac side charger receiver @ 11.30 ounces
CH @ 1.5 ounces
Gas blocker 0.936" @ 2.10 ounces
LAR chrome side charger BCG w/bolt @ 12.35 ounces
HG 19.25" @ 16 ounces

Upper @114.56 or 7.142 pounds
So I could easily get the rifle to 16 pounds with one of my heavier scopes.

#317 · (Edited)
Aluminum box from MPJA.com, or Digikey.com.
Set it on a hot plate, melt the lead. I helped with a propane torch.
The lead won't stick to the aluminum. Drilled holes for 8x32 cap screws, counterbored for washers (actually 10x32 nuts).
1/2x1/8 steel strip inside handguard drilled and tapped for the 8x32 cap screws. Cut off excess thread length to stay away from barrel.
It's about 2.95" wide with the wood. I passed the assembly (without the rifle :) ) past the table saw to reduce thickness of the bottom wood.
But a belt sander would have worked.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part
Wood Planer Machine tool Machine
Antique Metal

Wood outside corner, epoxy, Aluminum Black.
For the mag I filled some .30X06 cases with lead and loaded them under the sled follower.

#318 ·
Aluminum box from MPJA.com, or Digikey.com.
Set it on a hot plate, melt the lead. I helped with a propane torch.
The lead won't stick to the aluminum. Drilled holes for 8x32 cap screws, counterbored for washers (actually 10x32 nuts).
1/2x1/8 steel strip inside handguard drilled and tapped for the 8x32 cap screws. Cut off excess length to stay away from barrel.
I take a close up, maybe that will help.
Thanks. Any pics would be appreciated.

Greg

#319 · (Edited)
With everything mounted its a fraction over 19 pounds now.
:) Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Machine gun

I cut a thin plastic shim to slide along the extension tube to cut wiggle and foam circles to match stock detents on the lead center tube weights.
I had to shave the little accessory foot for the stock to slide in the bag. Sanded through it in one spot and had to fill with epoxy.
Why buy when you can make :)

One issue to consider is the height of the rider. It's about 1 and 3/8 inches thick. It does raise the bore but heck it's almost as heavy as my barrel so the CG is below the bore :)

I haven't shot it with the weight added to the grip or mag but it tracked nicely and should be even more stable with the low hanging weight.
Not that it matters much for a rifle shot from a rest but the balance point is pretty centered.
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.