6.8 SPC Forums banner

22 Nosler??

116K views 465 replies 66 participants last post by  Rocketvapor 
#1 ·
#3 ·
The rebated rim may be so it will work in bolt guns without having to make a 6.8 sized bolt face I get that but they says this was made for ARs.
Next Nosler can't make 6.8 brass so are they just going to crap on the 6.8 and make other brass? Oh wait ...Nosler didn't design the 6.8.
26 Nosler, 22 Nosler ...wonder if Remingtons engineers moved to Nosler.

#5 · (Edited)
It appears they grabbed the HAGAR case as their base. I would guess they figure there are plenty of 223 bolts out there and they were playing to that. Just like when the 6 PPC hit BR in the beginning many guys rebated the rim to 223 because 6PPC bolt face sized rifles were not common.

Greg

#6 · (Edited)
Wonder if this was nosler's idea when they bought ssa? Get the tooling for 6.8 brass, then slightly change it up for rebated rim and longer length...all the while planning on dropping the 6.8 line up to help promote their new nosler 22?

#8 ·
Wonder if this was nosler's idea when they bought ssa? Get the tooling for 6.8 brass, then slightly change it up for rebates rim and longer length...all the while planning on dropping the 6.8 line up to help promote their new nosler 22?
Looks and sounds more like Remington every day.
I never thought being able to pull the bolt out of a .223 and sticking in another rifle to go shoot would be such a huge selling point. But I'll swear the first thing out of every 300BO owners mouth is that. If they can't afford another bolt why build another rifle?

#11 ·
I have a question. Could someone swap a 223 bolt into their 6.8 rifle and use this brass to form 6.8 cases. I'm not saying that would be a good idea. Not by a long shot. But I wonder if perhaps you'll see a 277 nosler that exactly duplicates a 6.8 other than using 223 bolts. With the proper marketing it would be a huge success. It takes the entire argument out of the blackout. They always say. Well the bo uses 223 bolts. What would it leave them with if the 6.8 did. There is really nothing left for them to hang their hat on.

#17 ·
I understand that we would all like to see nosler to embrace the 6.8. But I still feel this is a smart decision for them from a business standpoint. Look how popular the 22-250 is. And it's not because people are shooting 70 and 80 gr bullets. This will make a wicked varmint ar. Plus this throws nosler more into the black rifle game. I'm still trying to stay positive. So far nosler has crapped on the 6.8 since buying ssa. But maybe they'll see the potential. A lot of companies are slow to embrace the black rifles. This could be the start of a good thing.

#44 ·
Maybe so, but Bruce Finnegan's .22 Hellcat will do everything the .22 Nosler can do, and also handles the heavier bullets if you want to go after coyotes and such.

Never been real impressed with Nosler. Seems like they're an arrogant bunch and only out for the bucks.

#18 ·
Nosler will be the only source for ammo or brass. The rebated rims keep reloaders from making their own brass.

#20 ·
They are selling barrels and uppers on Midway. MidSouth has brass and dies and. I have never seen a roll out on a cartridge in years that was done as smoothly as this one. Usually we are waiting six months to a year before we see anything in the wild for us to play with.

Greg

#25 ·
Lot of powder, little bore.

#28 · (Edited)
Could be that Nosler "rebated" the rim because this wildcat has been done before, the 22 PDK, based on a whole rimmed 6.8. This is from Cartriges of the World Face book page. https://www.facebook.com/cartridges...1073741828.1612329515660113/1640749849484746/

22 PDK

The intent of the .22 PDK was to offer a high-velocity .22-caliber cartridge that consumed less powder than a .22-250 or .220 Swift. It was conceptualized by Illinois wildcatter Roy Winnett, in collaboration with benchrest shooter John Hutchins. The parent case was the .20 PDK (Prairie Dog Killer), which is based on the 6.8 Remington SPC case. The .22 PDK will work well in either a bolt rifle or AR-15. It has a 30-degree shoulder and a case capacity of 36 grains of water.
General Comments: The .22 PDK may be especially appealing to AR-15 shooters looking for a higher velocity option to the .223 Remington for shooting targets or varmints at long range. This cartridge is also capable of driving premium, heavy-for-caliber bullets suitable for medium-sized game like deer to much higher velocities than the .223 Remington. While the cartridge does not offer a substantial advantage over the .22-250 in a bolt-action rifle, it is indeed a lightning rod in an AR-15. A twist rate of 1:9 or 1:10 is ideal for this cartridge. Cartridge cases are available from Silver State Armory, and handloading dies and cases are available directly from Roy Winnett, 309-367-4867.

Edit: Sorry, but I may have found some things that you'all probably already know, but it looks like there was a 22x6.8 that Black Hole Weaponry was involved with. Then there was the 22 DTI.

No automatic alt text available.

#29 ·
I have a guy out in ND shooting a BHW 22x6.8 I built and he is thrilled. His only complain is brass availability which I can't imagine will be better with 22 Nosler. He won't be changing anytime soon but I can see people seeing this nosler and being all about it completely unaware that they could have been shooting a 22x6.8 or 22 PDK for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
I have a guy out in ND shooting a BHW 22x6.8 I built and he is thrilled. His only complain is brass availability which I can't imagine will be better with 22 Nosler. He won't be changing anytime soon but I can see people seeing this nosler and being all about it completely unaware that they could have been shooting a 22x6.8 or 22 PDK for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. .

#31 ·
From Nosler's website.....

"Retrofitting a standard AR-15 chambered in
223 Rem / 5.56 NATO to a 22 Nosler is simple.
All that is required is a simple barrel swap to the
new 22 Nosler chambering, run 6.8 Remington SPC
magazines instead of 5.56 magazines and the
swap out is complete."

#32 ·
Looking at their numbers I dont see that big of an advantage over the 5.56 with 5.56 pressures in the 70 grain and up range.
I have 70 grain Barnes TSX going 2925 fps from a 16in barrel.
25 grains of AA2230 @ 2.27 in LC brass gets me there.

I also think 22 Nosler brass could be sized to the 6.8 chamber and use a 5.56 bolt as Sucngas said.

As well if ever a cartridge need one of my modified 6.8 mags its the 22 Nosler :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.