.243 bullet/powder suggestions - Page 3
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Have had good luck with 95gr SST out of my Rem 243.

68Forums.com lifer

My daughter took her first deer last year with my .243 handload. 90 gr Speer Deep Curl, Hornady case, CCI 450, 41 gr IMR4350. Out of her .243's 20" 1/10 barrel it clocks 2940 fps, about the same as my 90 gr Gold Dot load for my 6.8, but I'm sure the .243 has more range.
    "Stupid is as stupid does"---Forrest Gump

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ATEXAN View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Mine is a 60's model 99E so it's tighter than the older ones. With that said what kind of pressures can these lever guns handle? I would like to at least get 3000fps with a 80-100 grain hunting bullet. The goal is to get out to 300yds with out any scope adjustments (mpbr). My 18" 6.8 gets 260yds mpbr with a 90gr gd at 3000fps. I was figuring a 20" .243 win should have no problem at least matching that but it doesn't appear so after a little research. Want to keep it safe though.
    A '60s model is fairly new/moder- at least as 99s go!
    These guns can handle up to SAAMI max loads, just work up carefully and pay attention.

Think of them in these terms:S&W medium frame vs Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag.
    Your 99 is the K frame - designed for full house loads, but it's going to shoot loose before the GP100 (Mauser bolt gun analogue).

Remember that a 90-100gr .243 bullet has a pretty good BC advantage on your 90gr 6.8 Gold Dot, and also a max load of some powders will definitely get you 3000fps even in your shorter 20" barrel.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by 303 HUNTER View Post
    My daughter took her first deer last year with my .243 handload. 90 gr Speer Deep Curl, Hornady case, CCI 450, 41 gr IMR4350. Out of her .243's 20" 1/10 barrel it clocks 2940 fps, about the same as my 90 gr Gold Dot load for my 6.8, but I'm sure the .243 has more range.
    Wish I could get my hands on some of those deep curls. Going to try the 95 SST and 100gr interlocks to start with as my funds are limited and try to keep my bullet cost under .30 per.

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by SteveOM View Post
    A '60s model is fairly new/moder- at least as 99s go!
    These guns can handle up to SAAMI max loads, just work up carefully and pay attention.

Think of them in these terms:S&W medium frame vs Ruger GP100 in .357 Mag.
    Your 99 is the K frame - designed for full house loads, but it's going to shoot loose before the GP100 (Mauser bolt gun analogue).

Remember that a 90-100gr .243 bullet has a pretty good BC advantage on your 90gr 6.8 Gold Dot, and also a max load of some powders will definitely get you 3000fps even in your shorter 20" barrel.
    Have you tried neck sizing or is it not worth trying? Some on the interweb say it's ok on the newer models but to full length size after a certain amount of firings and some say don't do it. Trying to get everything I can out of this rifle. Also, can any one school me on how to put multiple quotes on one post?

68Forums.com Team Member

Have you tried neck sizing or is it not worth trying? Some on the interweb say it's ok on the newer models but to full length size after a certain amount of firings and some say don't do it. Trying to get everything I can out of this rifle. Also, can any one school me on how to put multiple quotes on one post?
    Not sure on the neck sizing as there isn't much camming action to a lever gun but you could size like we do for the semi autos by just bumping the shoulder back about 0.003 inches.

For multiple quotes there is a small box on the right bottom of each post with "+ marks in it, you click on the ones you want to include in your multiple quotes then after doing the last one click on the Reply With Quote and it will then add all the "+ that you selected to your reply.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

68Forums.com lifer

Wish I could get my hands on some of those deep curls. Going to try the 95 SST and 100gr interlocks to start with as my funds are limited and try to keep my bullet cost under .30 per.
    I bought 250 of them from RMR a year ago and wish I'd bought more, cause they haven't had any since. They do have Federal Fusion 95 gr, and that's what I'll buy when the Deep Curls run out.

6.8 SPC Lover

The fusions are pretty much the same construction aren't they

68Forums.com lifer

The fusions are pretty much the same construction aren't they
    Deep Curls have some "special" coating that requires using Speers loading data. Other than that they appear the same as the Fusions.

6.8 SPC Fan

I agree you can try just bumping the shoulders, but .........
    Really keep your eyes on what the brass is doing when you shoot.
    The 99 is one of the strongest leverguns, and also most accurate.
    However, I've seen some weird stuff with some of my friends 99s.
    Out of round chambers, large chambers, etc...