Biggest thing for 6.8 in 2016? - Page 7
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sreyemj View Post
    I've thought about this but it's unclear if it would just add to the confusion. If you could sell is as a "6.8 Wylde" or ".270 Short" and play up the ability to shoot all 6.8SPC ammo I think it could be successful. Someone would have to bring all the big players on board with a change like this with guns, ammo, brass, and dies brought to market around the same time. That's far beyond most of us to coordinate and there's probably not a great incentive for companies to bother.

Maybe as the 5.56 stockpiling slows down companies will be more interested in diversifying and more ammo manufacturing capacity will be available.
    Big coordination job to be sure.
    But then again, all of the 556 info says something similar to "you can fire 223 in 556 but don't do the opposite..."
    etc etc
    So it can be done, is all I'm saying.
    dies, brass, even current ammo would not have to change. The design difference is all in the length of jump to the lands. Shoulder angle is all the same. brass specs all the same.
    Only difference is the level of pressure to which the cartridge is loaded.
    So in these respects, this mirrors the 223/556 duo.
    - Grayfox
    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry
    Hidden Content

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Big coordination job to be sure.
    But then again, all of the 556 info says something similar to "you can fire 223 in 556 but don't do the opposite..."
    etc etc
    So it can be done, is all I'm saying.
    dies, brass, even current ammo would not have to change. The design difference is all in the length of jump to the lands. Shoulder angle is all the same. brass specs all the same.
    Only difference is the level of pressure to which the cartridge is loaded.
    So in these respects, this mirrors the 223/556 duo.
    here is a nice quote about chambers from a guy who knows his shiznit
    (2004)Remington 6.8x43 SPC-(SAAMI)- has a .050 freebore and when submitted to SAAMI had the correct 45 degree cone angle, has a .278 diameter freebore. Some drawings from PTG has a 80 degree cone angle, no one knows where the error originated.

(Jan 2006)6.8 Remington SPCII-(SPCII)- has a .100 freebore originally drawn by Art of SSA or Barrett not known for sure had the correct 45 degree cone angle, has a .278 diameter freebore, .3085 neck. Some drawings from PTG has a 80 degree cone angle.

(2007)ARP 6.8x43 DMR (DMR)- has a .080 freebore, .277 dia and a .305 neck diameter it was designed to correct the bad 80 degree cone angle and be a little more accurate in stainless match barrels because of the shorter freebore and .277 dia leade. Only used in ARP stainless match barrels.

(2008)ARP DMR-C enlarged only enough to take into account the thickness of the chrome in the chamber, neck .0307/.3075-Used only in the chrome lined barrels we had produced in late 2008 and sold in early 2009

(2009) ARP 6.8- has a .080 freebore, .2775" dia with the correct 45 degree cone angle and a .3085/.309 neck to work better with the newer SSA brass size.

Noveske mod 1-no real idea, they say it has a .100 freebore, assume it is the same as the SPCII.

(2010) New SPCII- Ben with Bison posted a new SPCII drawing that shows a .114 long freebore with .278 diameter and the correct 45 degree cone angle, everything else is the same as the other SPCII.

IMO all of these chambers except the original "Remington 6.8x43 SPC"(SAAMI) will handle high performance ammo.

These chambers seem to confuse many possibly because the public has been exposed to the chambers and given more info than what has been released about the 5.56 and 308 chambers. There are 14- 308 chambers that I know about but most of the public thinks there are only 2 the 308 and the 7.62x51 NATO. There are at least 10 -223/.556 chambers that I know of. The 6.8 isn't different it is just that there is a lot more info being passed around to the public about it.

right now I think a new saami designation would confuse the caliber more--- we just need someone who will load factory ammo to spec II pressures and I think others would pick up on it if it sold well

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Hidden Content

Mil-Spec means that it meets the lowest specifications that the military will accept. Do you want mil-spec parts?

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hog Man View Post
    right now I think a new saami designation would confuse the caliber more--- we just need someone who will load factory ammo to spec II pressures and I think others would pick up on it if it sold well
    I'm 100% in agreement on the UNLESS you can market it as a higher performing cartridge that also shooting 6.8SPC ammo. That would be part of the appeal to convince major manufacturers of the untapped economic potential of the 6.8. A cartridge that has become a minor commercial success even at 85% performance and designed for the most popular rifle in america is a no brainier. We have thousands of caliber options for bolt guns and only a handful of AR platform calibers, even fewer of which are suitable for hunting. Most gun stores have 30 bolt guns in 15 different calibers and 30 AR's in 3.

6.8 Wylde would be interesting for the name recognition and because people who don't know anything about chambers (most people buying guns) already have the impression it's a better version of another cartridge (people buying guns love that, try selling an AR with a .223 Rem barrel to someone who has picked up American Rifleman recently).
    Last edited by sreyemj; 01-12-2017 at 03:57 AM.

6.8 Member

This has been done for many years, why couldn't manufactures come out with a 6.8 SPC +P with the appropriate warnings.

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnake View Post
    This has been done for many years, why couldn't manufactures come out with a 6.8 SPC +P with the appropriate warnings.
    This is the best option in my opinion.
    As well it's been proven doable.
    "Tactical" does not designate higher pressure.
    Any designation like "Nato" or anything of that type would require a submission.
    +P is already known industry wide as higher pressure ammo.

Liability wise I think it would fly as its does with Buffalo Bore 45LC +P.

However if any companies like LWRC, Daniel Defense ect started voiding warranties if anyone used 6.8 SPC +P it could create a problem for the company producing it. Perhaps a warranty voiding disclaimer as well.
    Cavity Back Bullets
    Hidden Content
    Home of custom precision CNC milled projectiles and more.
    We care about what you shoot!

Affiliates:
    AR15 Performance Hidden Content
    IronWorks Tactical Hidden Content
    Wild River Ranch Hidden Content

The 6.8 SPCII, the best all around cartridge available in the AR15 platform.

6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaraja View Post
    This is the best option in my opinion.
    As well it's been proven doable.
    "Tactical" does not designate higher pressure.
    Any designation like "Nato" or anything of that type would require a submission.
    +P is already known industry wide as higher pressure ammo.

Liability wise I think it would fly as its does with Buffalo Bore 45LC +P.

However if any companies like LWRC, Daniel Defense ect started voiding warranties if anyone used 6.8 SPC +P it could create a problem for the company producing it. Perhaps a warranty voiding disclaimer as well.
    Me personally, I'm ok with anything that would get the job done. +p indicates IIRC an extra 10%, if so then it seems to fit the spc II.
    As to brass, would s&b be willing to set up to run the brass I wonder... I think they do some of the Hornady brass, so one more customer might not hurt em.
    - Grayfox
    Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry
    Hidden Content

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaraja View Post

The firearm manufacturers have a warranty disclaimer in place stating that reloaded ammo is not acceptable so what would be the difference?
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

Here's the thing. 3000psi =100fps roughly. Hornady loads to 54,000psi, do the rifles blow up? Will the rifles blow up at 57,000psi with a gain of 100fps...uh no. That is about what SSAs "combat" loads were loaded to- a 110 at 2650fps.

I'll run 60k because I have for 9 years now and I know I'm ok doing it. 62k is about max before I start seeing flat primers and over expanded brass and I back off. 62k will still not blow a bolt or barrel. 70k will not break a bolt or blow a barrel but the brass is pretty much useless after fired. There is little chance of any harm running pressures at 57-58k but...there are a ton of people out there just looking for a reason to sue.
    Why load ammo 100-200fps slower than everyone else? That isn't much of a selling point especially for a GMX that should be high performance ammo.
    They are killing their own business and don't know it.
    Hidden Content AR Performance 6.8 SPC barrels.
    Never buy a Rec Direct/Dr Wellness/Energy saver hot tub, worst brand in the country.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Here's the thing. 3000psi =100fps roughly. Hornady loads to 54,000psi, do the rifles blow up? Will the rifles blow up at 57,000psi with a gain of 100fps...uh no. That is about what SSAs "combat" loads were loaded to- a 110 at 2650fps.

I'll run 60k because I have for 9 years now and I know I'm ok doing it. 62k is about max before I start seeing flat primers and over expanded brass and I back off. 62k will still not blow a bolt or barrel. 70k will not break a bolt or blow a barrel but the brass is pretty much useless after fired. There is little chance of any harm running pressures at 57-58k but...there are a ton of people out there just looking for a reason to sue.
    Why load ammo 100-200fps slower than everyone else? That isn't much of a selling point especially for a GMX that should be high performance ammo.
    They are killing their own business and don't know it.
    I still think a lot of guys don't even look at the muzzle velocity rating on the box---- besides, ammo companies often inflate those numbers anyway ( like telling you the velocity from a 22-24" barrel when its meant for an AR style chassis with 16" barrel)

the general public still falls for marketing hype, pretty pictures and packaging, and false claims everyday .... make some black and chrome ammo with the word 'tactical" on the box and have a pretty girl in the adds and that sells

in certain calibers, people may pay more attention to the velocity numbers and ballistics but one again, lots of that is due to the "tacticool hype" --- I bet people that buy 338 lapua look at the ballistics more than 300 black out guys-- but how many people buy a 338 lapua and actually shoot it at the ranges it was intended for? I bet lots of those rifles are sold due to the "sniper" marketing hype --- just like the ruger precision rifle--- its a "tacticool sniper rifle" offered in "sniper" calibers -- thats what sells

the majority of guys still only hunt or shoot at 100 yards or less anyway -- my buddy just shot a 465lb bore at just under 100 yards last week in texas with factory GMX ammo from a midweight 18" ARP barrel and it dropped him with one shot

You want to make the 6.8 caliber BOOM? have Hollywood make a tacticool sniper or navy seals movie where the "operators" are shooting 6.8 caliber rifles-- sales would skyrocket

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Hidden Content

Mil-Spec means that it meets the lowest specifications that the military will accept. Do you want mil-spec parts?

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hog Man View Post
    I still think a lot of guys don't even look at the muzzle velocity rating on the box---- besides, ammo companies often inflate those numbers anyway ( like telling you the velocity from a 22-24" barrel when its meant for an AR style chassis with 16" barrel)

the general public still falls for marketing hype, pretty pictures and packaging, and false claims everyday .... make some black and chrome ammo with the word 'tactical" on the box and have a pretty girl in the adds and that sells

in certain calibers, people may pay more attention to the velocity numbers and ballistics but one again, lots of that is due to the "tacticool hype" --- I bet people that buy 338 lapua look at the ballistics more than 300 black out guys-- but how many people buy a 338 lapua and actually shoot it at the ranges it was intended for? I bet lots of those rifles are sold due to the "sniper" marketing hype --- just like the ruger precision rifle--- its a "tacticool sniper rifle" offered in "sniper" calibers -- thats what sells

the majority of guys still only hunt or shoot at 100 yards or less anyway -- my buddy just shot a 465lb bore at just under 100 yards last week in texas with factory GMX ammo from a midweight 18" ARP barrel and it dropped him with one shot

You want to make the 6.8 caliber BOOM? have Hollywood make a tacticool sniper or navy seals movie where the "operators" are shooting 6.8 caliber rifles-- sales would skyrocket
    Good idea, I'll send one to Walberg.
    Hidden Content AR Performance 6.8 SPC barrels.
    Never buy a Rec Direct/Dr Wellness/Energy saver hot tub, worst brand in the country.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content