my experience with 120 grain SSTs yesterady - Page 6
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    6.8 SPC Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ebhegele View Post
    it seems that this round is hit or miss.
    Yep, if you hit it in the vitals, it is going to die. If you miss the vitals, it is going to get away.

Pretty much the same result regardless of the bullet/caliber/chambering you are using.
    #FightTheNoise
    #VORTEXNATION

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by three View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebhegele View Post
    not to be punny, but after kicking the figurative hornets nest, then pouring diesel and a lighting a match on the hypothetical topic, it seems that this round is hit or miss. I am the first to admit bad shooting, but not that day. Obviously this bullet has preformed very well for some people and thats awesome. Me personally, I now have a bad taste in my mouth, was seeing if there were any similar experiences.

now I need to get back to the reloading bench.

A bullet that fragments and has limited penetration is for varmints. Game animals require controlled expansion coupled with good penetration.
    The sst is not a fragmenting bullet the rear is interlocked. I've killed many many doubles and triples with one bullet. Not sure why it's not penerasing hard to say without a recovered animal. But if it can make it through the thick shield, muscel, and bone of hogs, deer should be no problem.

Killed 4 deer this year with 120gr SST. 3 went no more then 40 yards, the 4th dropped in its tracks at 120 yards. Recovered the bullet in the last deer. Looked good to me.
    Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 Member

I have seen times where a shoulder hit with a softpoint bullet will deflect off the leg bone and make a small entrance into the body cavity, then only slightly damage the internals. On one occasion, I was able to watch with binoculars, my buddy fire the shot, hit the leg bone dead center and have the small doe run off. No bloodtrail left at all. She stopped running about 300 yards away. After a few minutes she fell over dead. The autopsy showed a small cut in the upper back lung from the bullet splitting away and striking it. The leg had a chuck of hide missing from the initial strike. A part of the bullet was found in the brisket. I have used the 120 SST on whitetails, but always try to slip the bullet into the chest behind the legs. I have not had any run more than 30 yards. I do prefer a "harder" bullet like the TSX or the new CBB's for all round use. They will break bone and keep on going.

I honestly believe this is what happened on the buck I shot this year. I know I hit the shoulder but I never recovered him. I was trying to slip the bullet just behind the shoulder but I pulled the shot mabee a couple of inches and got the leg bone in the shoulder. Ether the bullet came apart or deflected I don't know which one. I am not bashing the bullet just looking for something a little more forgiving.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have killed 4 or 5 deer that the bullet preformed perfect. I did kill an eight point with the 120 sst about 3 years ago that the bullet completely exploded. The deer was only about 60 yards from me an slightly quartering away. I hit the deer in the rib cage. The deer dropped in its tracks but when I cleaned the deer he had a entrance hole that you could put your fist through an no parts of the bullet made it to the opposite rib cage. I know the animals I have taken are a small sample size but my results so far have been inconsistent.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I chimed in a a couple weeks ago and shooting a few more critters I am the most confused by the 120 SST than any caliber and ammo I ever shot. Example shoot deer in head drop it. Soot deer in neck drop it. Shot deer in head deer runs. Shoot deer in neck deer runs. A buddied argued me the other day and swore my deer fainted bc there wasn't a bullet hole in it. I have shot deer at 300 and dropped them and I have shot deer at 50 in the head and have to shoot again and again. I will say I'm not confident at all with it. Shot a big deer today absolutely know I hit it behind the shoulder. I watched deer run 300 yds. While running I saw another buck through my scope. Shot him. Dropped him in his tracks other deer is still out there running lol. Somebody have a better choice for ammo before I sell this gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.8 SPC Fan

My brother had a similar experience with the 120sst. Last season he shot a nice 8pt, dropped it in his tracks at 50yds, broad side shot. Deer was laying ther dead, he thought. After a while he took his eyes off of it and the deer got up and ran. He had no time for a second shot. He tracked the deer for 1/2 mile and off the hunting lease and had to give up when the deer entered a swamp. He also hit a doe in the boiler maker and she ran approx. 300yds before she laid up. He's now hunting with his 308. It was very disappointing for me because I built the rifle for him and recommended 120sst to use. Until recently you could not find a negative review on the 120sst but now there are plently. Don't know why. I have switched to S&B 110pts to try and gave him three boxes to try also. But, he won't go back to the 6.8 until he gets some meat in the freezer with his 308. Since I built my two 6.8s I have only been able to shoot one doe. Got her with my 12.5" and a 90gr gold dot. I'm using the PTS in my 18" barrel. Hopefully I will have an opportunity to see what they will do this season.

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunHTR View Post
    Yep, if you hit it in the vitals, it is going to die. If you miss the vitals, it is going to get away.

Pretty much the same result regardless of the bullet/caliber/chambering you are using.

yah, as originally stated, I smoked pig in the head, but thanks for looking out pal

New to the 6.8

some of these shots are out of order time wise, but i was shooting a 308 with 168gr amax approx through the end of may. then i switched to a 6.8 with 120gr sst. tlm had already done the research and that was good enough for me. of course these vids only show the hogs i killed, not the ones that got away.