6.8 SPC Forums banner

Dial Readout Caliper

9K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  WestKentucky 
#1 · (Edited)
i've got most everything collected up for loading, both when there is power and if there is a power loss, i have a semi/mostly reliable digital readout caliper but want to get a dial readout. gathering data to acquire one. any into provided much appreciated.

probably should have included "micrometer" in the title

#4 ·
#6 ·
#9 ·
Mitutoyo is the only one I trust. Been a Moldmaker for over 25 years and have seen just about all of them. Spend the cash on a good one or you will just be buying multiples of the cheap ones.

#11 ·
I have a 20 plus year old set that says Midway on them, they still seem to work fine; but Why not digital ??? They Make it so much easier.... my cheap Dig. Lyman are .001 off from the other, which one is correct who know but both work good for me,, just keep a new battery around....

#22 ·
Mitutoyo are good, just get some gauge pins to double check them if you ever drop it. As a metrologist I put my trust in Etalon, Brown & Sharpe, Starrett, Tesa. Mitutoyo and Fowler are great for the money, I have a couple 6" vernier Mitutoyo calipers I use on the loading bench all the time. I'm not a huge fan of dial readout. They however, are excellent for checking deltas quickly. We may not see what exactly the measurement is, but our eyes can pick up that the needle isn't in the exact same place as before.

A little tip when buying used calipers, ask for very detailed close up pics of the upper and lower jaw tips, many "machinists" like to use them as a scribe on metal, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement.

-Alexander

#30 ·
I like American stuff but on measuring tools you simply can't beat Japanese equipment. Mitutoyo is incredible, Starrett is good enough. My digitals are Hornady but I'm pretty sure they are made by Starrett. My dials are junk and serve only as a backup to the digital...old school Lyman. The thing I like about them and why I keep them is that the tail is a tiny round rod rather than a blade. It is really easy to use it as a depth gauge in tight places. I would not buy them now but I would love a new set similar to them that is a bit more precise.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.