Cavity Back Bullets Thread - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    Finally had time to load some 92gr for my 243 but wont be able to shoot until next week...expecting 3300+.
    Those will be some deadly companions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.8 SPC Fan

As far as other prospective bullets. A 165 ish grn pointy .358 bullet for the mgp, yeti, and I think 2 other wildcats for ar15 would probably go over well as the 180s are the nice zippy bullets but there's only 1 or 2 to choose from -anything lighter is a pistol bullet that is going way faster than its designed for and is no good for hunting . The 180s are almost at mag length so the 200s and 225s have marked fps decrease as it heavier and all the extra bullet is eating powder space.

Personally I'd love a 220ish pointy copper bullet for the .452 velociraptor. Barnes 460 s&w bullets are 200 and 275grn one a bit to heavy eats up powder space other loses energy to fast with low bc. Your cavity back at 220 would prob be a really decent bc for a big bore. Most of the FTX are the only other ok bc 452 bullets are probably going to fast at close in ranges. I realize both calibers are smaller market but there's definite holes in the useable bullets available

I don't have time to try out these new 6.8 bullets this deer season but I'm looking forward to crop permit does in the spring, I'm thinkin that 120 is made for the 12.5" arp barrel
    Last edited by jofus; 10-01-2016 at 02:16 PM.

68Forums.com Industry Partner

I was able to get out for about an hour with the Ruger PR 243.
    The 105Amax loads didn't do very well but the 92gr CBB and 95 Berger bullets shot well under 1/2" at 100. 1 group from each measured 1/4" and 3 groups each around 3/8".
    This is the first time I have had this barrel out and just dumped 42.5gr Re17 in a Win case with CCI BR4 primers and loaded the bullets to 2.8". No load development at all or OAL tests. Pretty impressive for a bullet that has never been shot before.
    Now I just need a good 6mm Predator barrel to test them in.
    Hidden Content AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers- Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

The 105Amax loads didn't do very well but the 92gr CBB and 95 Berger bullets shot well under 1/2" at 100. 1 group from each measured 1/4" and 3 groups each around 3/8".
    This is the first time I have had this barrel out and just dumped 42.5gr Re17 in a Win case with CCI BR4 primers and loaded the bullets to 2.8". No load development at all or OAL tests. Pretty impressive for a bullet that has never been shot before.
    Impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff H!!
    That's what we were after!

I have already shot two deer with the CB 105 this weekend. I did not develop or chrono just loaded 29.5 and 30 grains to zero and shoot at deer.
    I noticed the 30 grain A2200 load was super accurate but a little too hot in my barrel and gave fairly deep swipes.

I had them loaded out to 2.295". Would love to see the "porototype" be an 80 grain screamer with higher BC versus other 80 and 85 grain bullets. That would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamaraja View Post
    Good stuff H!!
    That's what we were after!
    I shot 3 105 Amax to get on paper, then 2 groups of 3, first about 1-1/4" then 1 around 1/2". 9 shots so far out of a new 243 barrel.
    These are the next 3, 10-12 out of the barrel and the first 3 CBB 92gr. Even with a 22x scope I couldn't see clear enough so I walked downrange to check.
    IMG_0287.JPG
    I knew from tests years ago 42-43.5gr RE17 would work with 95gr bullets in a standard 243 chamber. I used 42.5gr and set the bullets to mag length at 2.8"
    Hidden Content AR Performance 6.8 SPC, 5.56 & Grendel barrels.
    complete uppers- Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Florida structural engineer & home design- Artibus Design
    Hidden Content

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by HTR View Post
    I have already shot two deer with the CB 105 this weekend. I did not develop or chrono just loaded 29.5 and 30 grains to zero and shoot at deer.
    I noticed the 30 grain A2200 load was super accurate but a little too hot in my barrel and gave fairly deep swipes.

I had them loaded out to 2.295". Would love to see the "porototype" be an 80 grain screamer with higher BC versus other 80 and 85 grain bullets. That would be something.
    Chris- how did they perform on the 2 deer you shot? retain the bullet? or pass through? DRT? or run a bit? lots/little meat damage?
    Last edited by Texas Hog Man; 10-04-2016 at 07:11 AM.

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Hidden Content

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by HTR View Post
    Would love to see the "porototype" be an 80 grain screamer with higher BC versus other 80 and 85 grain bullets. That would be something.
    ^^ This right here!! Seems everyone wants to go big and heavy, I'd like to see flat and fast and efficient from 10" barrels!

Default Load Data?

What would be a comparable bullet to begin load data? Are they similar the the Barnes TTSX?

Search tags for this page

cavity back bullets

cavity back bullets reviews

cavity back load data

cavity backed bullets review

cb 105 mzk

Click on a term to search for related topics.