6.8 SPC Forums banner

Hog Anatomy: Where to shoot'm!! Gory pics!!

99K views 58 replies 48 participants last post by  Mdwilson 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought this site was pretty useful in giving the innards of them there Hogs!!! ;-)

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Enjoy!!!

Thought I would add the picture showing the position of the spinal cord, heart, lungs superimposed on the hog!!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That's a pretty good guide.

I tell hunters to try one of two shots, depedning upon the opportunity:

1) most deadly, IMO, is to shoot the pig in the brainstem, and break the spinal column, at the level of about C5 - C 6. This would simply be about 2-3 inches horizontally aft of the ear. You have about 3-4 inches of "vital zone" margin of error here, as a good bullet will still break the neck if a little high, and sever the carotid artery, if a little low. Paralysis of the entire body down will occur if the neck is broken, and the brain can only survive for a minute or two if the carotid is severed.

2) Low on the shoulder. The Scapula is thinner at the bottom than the top, and the heart sits right at the crease of the axilla (analagous to the "armpit" ) Anywhere you hit the animal low in the shoulder will get the lungs and / or heart. This shot carries a lower % ratio than # 1, because heart shot hogs can still run 100-200 yards, and it just hit in the lungs, might go miles.....believe it.

Edit:

While I don't recommend it, while driving around the ranch, I have shot hogs with .22 LR, low in the crease behind the shoulder (right in the heart) and watched them run out of steam in about 175 yards, then lay down and die. (this area is very soft and actually relatively unprotected, which is why "dog hunters" can knife them there). Sometimes you run across them, when you expect to see a Skunk : /

#9 ·
That's a pretty good guide.

I tell hunters to try one of two shots, depedning upon the opportunity:

1) most deadly, IMO, is to shoot the pig in the brainstem, and break the spinal column, at the level of about C5 - C 6. This would simply be about 2-3 inches horizontally aft of the ear. You have about 3-4 inches of "vital zone" margin of error here, as a good bullet will still break the neck if a little high, and sever the carotid artery, if a little low. Paralysis of the entire body down will occur if the neck is broken, and the brain can only survive for a minute or two if the carotid is severed.

2) Low on the shoulder. The Scapula is thinner at the bottom than the top, and the heart sits right at the crease of the axilla (analagous to the "armpit" ) Anywhere you hit the animal low in the shoulder will get the lungs and / or heart. This shot carries a lower % ratio than # 1, because heart shot hogs can still run 100-200 yards, and it just hit in the lungs, might go miles.....believe it.

Edit:

While I don't recommend it, while driving around the ranch, I have shot hogs with .22 LR, low in the crease behind the shoulder (right in the heart) and watched them run out of steam in about 175 yards, then lay down and die. (this area is very soft and actually relatively unprotected, which is why "dog hunters" can knife them there). Sometimes you run across them, when you expect to see a Skunk : /
Much truth!

I thought I'd hit the "magic zone" on both of my first hogs, but turns out I punched at least one shoulder w/ a 110 TSX... Thank goodness due to TSX bullet performance and the 6.8 both dropped in their tracks.

Guess the bottom line is it feels somewhat unnatural to aim that far forward even when you've shot deer with neck shots or otherwise; I certainly look forward to more practice!

B2

BTW, the Palo Duro hogs are delicious!

#4 ·
shots where HTR tells you will put them down, I dont know if I wounded any others while I was there, the only one that dropped was the one into the neck.....

Reactions: Ticonderoga
#6 ·
If my retarded IPhone would sync with ITunes I could show y'all some pictures...

#17 · (Edited)
So this work on Washington State Russian Boar to?

Can Feral hogs can be shot able all year round there as a feral domestic animals? Or they have a season?
In Germany, the preferred running shot is straight up the front leg above the bottom of the chest by 1-2"and forward 1-2". Russian/European/German boars are the same critter. If you have a head/neck shot, that's referred to as the Metzgerschuss or butcher's shot, because of the minimal damage.

Waidmannsheil! (good hunting)

#12 ·
http://www.texasboars.com/hunting/ellusive.html

I have shot too many hogs to count.
The first I ever shot was a 50-55 lb hog with a .270 behing the shoulder like a deer at 75 yds. The guide had a fit!
The hog ran 125 yds with 5 foot of gut hanging out of his chest/abd.
They took that hog and while they were cleaning it, shouwed me this exact place to shoot the hogs.
I have not had a hog take more than a step since. The hogs have ranged form 75-325lbs at a range of 25-275 yds. I take my crosshairs and draw a line from the middle of the shoulder to the bald spot behind the hogs ear. I shoot the middle of that line. It puts it in the solid red of the pic.

This is the only place I will shoot a hog!

#14 ·
really??

we shoot hogs in line with the diaphram looking for a lung or liver shot. Funny nearly every hog shot that way has run doen into the red river bottom and died out in the open on the oklahoma side in the flood plane.

Perfect shot. :)

That way I can watch the buzzards and coyotes from my deerstand.

Seriously, I can't believe that people actually pay to come shoot these things and then treat them likek trophies. I regret that has happened ecause one day some one will decide that hogs need to be classified as game animals.

There three traps on the way to my stand on the red river. They were all full, one had three in it on saturady morning. Emptied during the day on saturday and full again Sunday morning. Have a picture at one of the feeders from sunday night with 30 +/- under it and watched Monday afternoon as a group of 84 crossed a wheat feild about 600 yards (and across the neihbors fence) from me and my 6.8. If it had been dry enough to braket them by kicking up dust I would have tried lobbing a few in.

#18 ·
this hog went about 20 yards and dirt rolled, you can see the o ring on the shaft of how deep it went in. shot at 45yds with a 75gr minimax

this hog was coming at me in tall grass while i had the neice out bunny busting with the 10-22. put six in his head before he stopped about 20 yards from us. the neice was already at the truck, fastest ive ever seen her move lol.

#24 ·
Dude update to ios 5 and use the cloud. Syncing is so last year! Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That user was banned for quoting Tantrik77's post (#6) of this thread. Tantrik is very adamant about his royalties. :a01: Or maybe he was just another spammer.

#26 ·
I have downed 3 with a 50 beowulf. Best one was running down a steep dry river bed away from me, he got a 400g bullet from his right rear hind all ways through to his chest near his front left foot. He did one front tumble, then rolled threst of the way down. I laughed like a wild ******* on that one. The other two just got slammed broadside through the vitals and were DTR. We use dogs and spears now, its more fun.

#32 ·
The best way I have found to clean a hog is the same way you would do a deer. This is because it is how you are already used to cleaning an animal. My preferred method is to have them hanging from their legs on a gambrel. It allows me to clean the animal without getting organs or intestines everywhere. The down side is that you will need to cut between the sternum and rib cage, but at least you do not have to wreck your knife while breaking the pelvis. It also allows me to debone everything while it is still hanging. Everyone just please remember to wear rubber gloves if you are going to be cleaning them, these animals carry way too many diseases that can be transferred to humans.

as far as size I would say anything under 100lbs is great to eat, anything over 100lbs should be a sow. However, taste can vary quite a bit with how you treat the meat, (prior to, during, and after processing) and to some extent, their diet.

#34 ·
With you all the way HTR, I pick one of the 2 spots and shoot all but 1 DRT.

Since we eat our kills there is not a too large 350 down to about 50/60lbs, we jaw hook them and hoist it up. Typically if not taking the whole hog, I am lazy and don't like to skin and gut...we skin the back and take the straps, skin the rear hams and take them, our gator pond gets the leftovers they share w the hogs, yotes and buzzards. I salt water brine all wild game meat and never have a taste or smell that is different than store bought!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.