6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Trigger is Geiselle SSA-E, will only be using factory ammo, Hornady is pretty consistent.

For the three I have a match grade Wilson Combat barrel, SSA-E trigger and Vortex Viper scope.
Plus The takedown pins are Tight!

The gun should be just fine, the ammo will be OK, but sounds like the operator will be the biggest factor (as it is for all of us). Try out some dry fire practice, just 20 minutes a day or every other day can make a huge difference. Eliminating the time it takes to get positioned properly behind the gun, knowing exactly what your sight picture will be, consciously noting your reference points like cheek weld, trigger feel, shoulder placement, etc.

If you have the ability, airgun is excellent training as well. Doesn't have to be a replica of your current match gun, but just a good shooting air gun that can help you with your fundamentals. I shoot at my best by going through a mental checklist for every shot. I will also cancel a setup if things don't feel right. Come off the gun, regroup, breath, start over. Knowing when things aren't going right is half the battle instead of just forcing the gun into position and pulling the trigger. NPA assessment for every shot is critical too.

I've got to load some .223 match ammo this weekend and start my dry fire every day for a long range silhouette match next weekend. I'll be shooting iron sights in this match for the first time, with a brand new gun that has only been zeroed, and sling supported prone! Gonna be a bit different for me, that's for sure!

-Alexander

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Got the lead weights today, pounded them and stuffed them into the A1 stock for the AR308.

So here is the AR308 lower, weighs 5.536 pounds now.

Here is the upper, weighing 5.32 pounds

So the complete rifle set up for Ground Hog Bench Rest competition now weighs 10.85 lounds.

The rifle with the Tubbs Adjustable Butt Plate is at the bottom

Discussion starter · #24 · (Edited)
The 204 Ruger weighs more than the AR308

Here is the 204 Ruger, used to weigh 5.2 pounds, without scope. Now it weighs 11.31 pounds. Both the AR15 and the AR308 have 18 inch fluted barrels, the 204 Ruger barrel weighs more than the Juggernaugth Tactical 308.

The 204 Ruger upper weighs 5.3 pounds with scope. The Vortex scope also weighs about 3-4 ounces more than the Leupold AR on the AR 308.

The lower has half a pound more lead weight in the A2 stock, weighs 5.98 pounds.

Both rifles have about the same length of trigger to butt plate pull.

i qualified twice at the range, first time in boot camp, 2nd was before i went to sunny southeast asia. both times were 3 week events, we called it "snapping in", we snapped in off hand, prone, sitting, and kneeling for 2 weeks before we ever fired a live round. in 2 weeks 8 hours a day you learn and remember cheek weld and sight picture, muscle memory and becomes automatic when the time comes

you saw sun?

Of course I was off shore watching the 5 inch rounds from our destroyer coming into the jungle. Two trips to the Tonkin Gulf yacht club. always there for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Always missed the Bob Hope shows.
yeah, i was there from august 13,1965 to february 14, 1968. saw lots of sun, 3 monsoon seasons LOL i have photos i took at the Bob Hope Christmas show in DaNang, down at the bottom of hill 327, the show was late and units kept being called out to assemble and move out, several calls for different blood types while waiting for Mr Hope to show up. somewhere i have a 200 piaster note with his autograph on it. i fell in love with joey heatherton the moment i saw her LOL in fact my avatar is from right about that time, i was guarding the DaNang air field, well part of it anyway, what's not in the photo is i'm leaning on a pallet of ron rico rum and chivas regal bound for officer country, i schemed on filching some of it but being clever they knew better than trust a Lance Corporal to guard all that booze by himself

Discussion starter · #28 ·
The Chivas was only a $1.78 a bottle at the PX. Jack was even less.

Yeh Joey Heatherton was more my cup of tea, never went wild over Ann Margret.

Carton of smokes $1 in the war zone. I didn't smoke any more so bought a lot of cartons for trading.

The Chivas was only a $1.78 a bottle at the PX. Jack was even less.

Yeh Joey Heatherton was more my cup of tea, never went wild over Ann Margret.

Carton of smokes $1 in the war zone. I didn't smoke any more so bought a lot of cartons for trading.
they wouldn't let us have booze, 2 cans of beer when they would allow it( or if you could steal some ). likely a good idea with a bunch of half to full baked loonies walking around armed to the teeth. we used to trade the ARVN out of their weapons using C-Rats and Salems. an M2 carbine traded for a case of C's, salems were gold and you got what ever they had LOL

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Someone mentioned a rear bag rider. So I am going to get both the front and rear riders, sure don't need that rear stock sling at the bottom. Looks like the riders just keep the rifle level much easier.

Of course I can see where somewhere down the line I will be getting a nicer adjustable front rest. My $24.99 Caldwell has served me well for over 4 years and a heck of a lot of shooting.

The egw rear bag rider gives a surface parallel to the bore to help tracking. It is held in by the bolt for the rear sling swivel.

-Alexander

Congrats on the new adventure.

You already know all this but anyway...

The rifle is simple, have the rifle fit you (vs you fitting the rifle) whatever the configuration.
The PRS stock is affordable, heavy enough and it has lots of adjustments but there are other options.
The A2 stock can be filled with a bag or wrap of shotgun shot as needed and double wrap in case the bag is teared.

Regarding the caliber you need two things to consider.

- Good groups (consistently = repeatability).
- Good ballistics (sustained, that can buck the wind)

These come from quality chamberings and consistency of brass and loads.

The 6mm is easy to shoot with amazing ballistics and here the 6BR is king. In the AR15 the 6mm/LBC cat beats the parent grendel at everything courtesy of the 105gr VLD hybrid bullets.

But possibly the best compromise is the 7mm/08 with 162-168gr. Those need weight as they are more snappy but still civilized.

The 7mm does everything the 260 and 308 do, but better at any role. The only exception is the 308w with 180gr soft points/bonded superchared for large game hunting. Other than that, the 7mm ballistics beats both calibers.

With all that said there is nothing wrong with using the 5.56 and 308 prime loads to get aquieten with the new game. 1/2 of the work is studying and preparation. The rest is just time behind the wheel.

Discussion starter · #35 · (Edited)
Lost Wages often has winds 25 to 40 mph in the mornings when the Ground Hog Bench rest shooting starts at 9 AM. Later in the day 60 MPH isn't unusual. Today the wind is dead calm, but the County range is closed for a regional meet. Supposedly will be on TV. Only 100 degrees today expected.

Just looking at the web site they get a lot of mirages, lots of wind and report often the 6BRs can't see the bullet holes.

Farthest they shoot is 400 yards, so the 308 will do great at that distance. Bullet holes are much easier to see.

So I have two AR rifles set up, the 204 Ruger for less windy days, the 308 for the windy days. Really want to see how the AR 308 shoots the Hornady ELD-X ammo, and they have a ELD Match too. But shooting 75 rounds of 308's will test my bad shoulder, but with the rifle weight now double the recoil should be OK.

Only problem I see is I have to do may part, which means a LOT more shooting days starting at 200 yards.

I expect my membership card for the Desert Sportsman's Range soon, since I am retired I can go Monday and Tuesday when the Clark County range is closed. Really want to shoot once 7 days in a row!

I agree that 6, 6.5, and 7mm chamberings are all excellent, but the .277 is also great and works well for me. Your caliber doesn't win the match. Granted, some are easier to tune and do well with, but consistency is king. Velocity, rifle, shot process. All should be as equal to the shot before it as possible. Accuracy helps, but precision and accuracy will win matches every time.

In sailing we say it's not who sails the perfect race that wins, it's who sails the least imperfect race that wins. So, small errors and mistakes can be recovered from and a decent finish salvaged.

-Alexander

Discussion starter · #37 · (Edited)
204 Ruger chrony results

Thanks to fanninland
Shooting 5 shot groups at 200yds, my 18" WC barrel recently averaged 3851 fps MV with the 32gr and 3612 fps MV with the 40 gr on a hot (92degree) and windy TX day
So I should get about the same from my WC 204 Ruger. I don't have a calculator YET, can someone compute the drops at 200, 300 and 400 yards.

Thanks

Assuming a 100 yards zero, your drops in MOA should be:

32gr Vmax (.210BC, 95°, 3851fps, 2.75" sight height)

40gr Vmax (.275BC, 95°, 3612fps, 2.75" sight height)

-Alexander

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Wow, nearly identical meaning they are VERY flat shooting.

Assuming a 200 yard zero, how many clicks on a 1/4 MOA per click scope such as the Vortex and Leupold going from 200 to 300 yards?

One guy on the 204 Ruger forum said he used one click going from 100 to 200 yards!

It looks like the 204 Ruger needs a scope with even finer divisions like 1/8 MOA clicks. I have several cheaper scopes that actually worked great for me in the past.

It would be safe to call it a 200 yard zero for all practical purposes as is. There was a 0.9" rise at 150 yards before coming back to zero at 200. Those numbers are MOA from zero. So from 200 to 300 with 32gr you would add 1.4 MOA, between 5 and 6 1/4 MOA clicks depending on your actual velocity. Just divide the drop by whatever graduations your scope is in.

Finer clicks are great if you can hold a very small aim point, but also "holding off" to get that smaller amount without twisting knobs can be very productive as well. Some people call it Favoring, Kentucky Windage, Shading, etc...

-Alexander

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.