Dreaming of a 1911 - Page 3
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rifter View Post
    I've owned a lot of .45s over the years. WWI issue, several WWII arsenal rebuilds, a couple Series 70 Colts, and a full on custom stainless steel. Currently I have a RIA Tactical 5", and a Ruger SR1911 5". With the exception of the custom, the best one of the bunch is the Ruger. It feeds anything, is very accurate and has an excellent trigger out of the box. I have Pachmayr wrap-around rubber on it for grips. The only thing I want to change is the trigger. I absolutely hate flat faced grooved triggers. I've got an original WWI vintage long trigger with a half round face and no grooves that will go into it eventually.

But, the Ruger SR1911 rates as a Best Buy in the mid-600 range. Highly recommended. It also comes in a Lightweight Commander version if you prefer that. Either one is a great buy.
    It also comes in an all steel commander version called the Night Watchman. Beautiful gun. Not much left to do on those. Come with Novak night sights, fully dehorned, flared magwell and opened up ejection port.
    01 FFL, NRA, GOA, NAGR
    "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
    ~Elmer Davis

68Forums.com Industry Partner

I think the 1911 format was given to JMB during an astral out of body experience. My ex bought me my first one in 1975. It has been converted to a nice comped race gun. I haven't counted but I have somewhere North of a dozen from mild, what APPEARS to be stock, to the full blown lightened slide, swaged mag well, aluminum comped pistols that would pay for a good used car. Easy to work on and maintain. I've found day in day out that a 1911 in the hand is almost like a magic wand. Maybe someday I'll add one more. Right now the Springfield Officers Model would get my pesos as a base build. ..lol

Greg
    Last edited by GLShooter; 08-18-2016 at 06:08 PM.
    CHECK OUT BHW'S OWN FORUM FOR GREAT INFORMATIUON

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by sfsmedic View Post

Then there is this old thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That one looks like it has some stories to tell. How old is it? Whats the history on it?

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Ed308 View Post
    That one looks like it has some stories to tell. How old is it? Whats the history on it?
    It is a M1911 (not A1) made in 1913 by Springfield Armory. All original parts and functioning. It was a pleasure to have in the shop to have a stripped grip screw replaced.

Brett

Affiliates!

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by sfsmedic View Post
    It is a M1911 (not A1) made in 1913 by Springfield Armory. All original parts and functioning. It was a pleasure to have in the shop to have a stripped grip screw replaced.

Did it have the gratuitous garfs to the screw from using a wrong-sized wood-working screwdriver, instead of a hollow ground 'smithing screwdriver (made for that size screw)?
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.
    The 6.8 is the fastest growing cartridge and #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15.

AR Performance, ARP, However you label it, nothing but the best in AR15 Barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog68 View Post
    Did it have the gratuitous garfs to the screw from using a wrong-sized wood-working screwdriver, instead of a hollow ground 'smithing screwdriver (made for that size screw)?
    Pretty much. Screw was totally stripped.

Brett

Affiliates!

68Forums.com lifer

earliest i ever had was a 1927 Commercial Colt, made me understand "Colt Blue", if i outlive my cousin in law i'm gonna get it back

68Forums.com lifer

Cool

Reading threads like this can be really hard on your wallet................ just ordered a Colt Government Model Series 70. Always wanted one, something else to check off of the bucket list. Anyone have a lead on a decent arched MSH w/pinned lanyard loop? Looks like Auto-Ordinance might have one. Pictures to follow soon....
    '67 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, "Big Mothers"

Quote Originally Posted by Gotfour View Post
    Reading threads like this can be really hard on your wallet................ just ordered a Colt Government Model Series 70. Always wanted one, something else to check off of the bucket list. Anyone have a lead on a decent arched MSH w/pinned lanyard loop? Looks like Auto-Ordinance might have one. Pictures to follow soon....
    I believe Hogue may have what you want. Won't swear to it but they have several options. On second look it appears they no longer have any with a lanyard loop.
    Last edited by Woodstock; 08-07-2016 at 10:31 AM.
    01 FFL, NRA, GOA, NAGR
    "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."
    ~Elmer Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Gotfour View Post
    Smith and Alexander has one. Not all that uncommon.

Brett

Affiliates!

Search tags for this page

guncrafter

Click on a term to search for related topics.