Dreaming of a 1911 - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    6.8 Member

Damn Brett - that is one fine pistol!

68Forums.com lifer

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sfsmedic View Post

This started life as an RO, mmm FCS!

Did a bevel package on it, and recessed the slide pin

Hand cut checkering, deluxe blend of the mag well, undercut the trigger guard

Matched rear of slide to the sights.

All internals replaced with cylinder and slide components and hand fitted for a precise 2.5# trigger.

Finished it off with a classic hot bluing job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nice! I likes my Springer too, older defender model with some upgrades (sights, trigger job, beaver tail, Ed Brown barrel etc.) not near as nice as your RO but a real shooter. Currently looking for some basic version of a mil-spec just for kicks, maybe an Auto-Ordnance, suggestions??
    '67 Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club, "Big Mothers"

68Forums.com lifer

I think bullitboy had one for sale over on 1911forums

Brett--- I have a 1986 colt MKIV national match gold cup 80 series with the split accurizer bushing, and adjustable ellasion rear sight ---I rarely shoot it, it's probably in 95% condition and I have 1 original 7 rnd mag with it --if it was yours would you mess with it (if so what would you do) --stash it in the safe for passing on to kids, or sell it and start over with a better base

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

If you reload, turn a flat based bullet around and seat it backwards in the case with apx .170 of the full dia part of the bullet left outside the case. Chamber it. If it chambers you have a SPCII. If not start seating the bullet deeper. If the full diameter part of the bullets ends up apx .070 out it is a SAAMI chamber.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default Dreaming of a 1911

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hog Man View Post
    I think bullitboy had one for sale over on 1911forums

Brett--- I have a 1986 colt MKIV national match gold cup 80 series with the split accurizer bushing, and adjustable ellasion rear sight ---I rarely shoot it, it's probably in 95% condition and I have 1 original 7 rnd mag with it --if it was yours would you mess with it (if so what would you do) --stash it in the safe for passing on to kids, or sell it and start over with a better base
    There are three things that should always be done to a 1911 if you want to improve them; first a good trigger job, Second good sights and third a reliability package. The theory behind these three things are as follows. The trigger allows the shooter to be more accurate what good is an accurate gun if you don't have very good sights so you can't get rounds on target and lastly what good is an accurate gun if it's not reliable. Those three things should always be the starting point with any improvement of a firearm especially 1911.

The problem with gold cup is the trigger channel is much wider therefore the triggers you have to choose from are limited. It can be done but there are better platforms to start with if you're going to build a custom gun so you have to decide how much you're willing to spend on the gun, what you want out of the gun and how extensive the work is that you want. For instance the gun above that I posted has a lot of work done to it, a lot of it's cosmetic.

The other issue is it's an 80 series which as extra internal parts that make up a firing pin block which can be removed and I suggest they are to do a proper trigger job. The problem with The firing pin block is it is disengaged off of the trigger so you'll always have that feel of moving the block out-of-the-way on your trigger. On a 4.5 or 5 pound trigger you won't notice it but doing something like a 2 1/2 pound trigger you absolutely will. Other versions of series 80s for instance Smith & Wesson 1911 the firing pin block works off the grip safety so these are fine to leave in

Brett

Affiliates!

6.8 Member

Fusion Firearms makes some really nice custom 1911's. If I recall correctly, the owner of that company is an old Dan Wesson custom builder that branched off, but I could be wrong. Prices are kind of high and the backlog is usually a few weeks out. But you could always do what I do, wrap your computer in saran wrap to catch your drool and then look at all the pretty pictures of 1911's.

68Forums.com Team Member

Love me some 1911 !! My pride and joy is a MkIV Series 70 Govt. model... massaged by an old master in Anchorage, AK. His name was Bill Thompson, retired APD. I took this gun with me to the S&W Academy in '91 for an instructor's recert. course. Burned through 1,000 rounds in the class, it never skipped a beat.. ran flawlessly, and grouped very well.

NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.
    The 6.8 is the fastest growing cartridge and #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15.

AR Performance, ARP, However you label it, nothing but the best in AR15 Barrels

68Forums.com Team Member

I've owned a lot of .45s over the years. WWI issue, several WWII arsenal rebuilds, a couple Series 70 Colts, and a full on custom stainless steel. Currently I have a RIA Tactical 5", and a Ruger SR1911 5". With the exception of the custom, the best one of the bunch is the Ruger. It feeds anything, is very accurate and has an excellent trigger out of the box. I have Pachmayr wrap-around rubber on it for grips. The only thing I want to change is the trigger. I absolutely hate flat faced grooved triggers. I've got an original WWI vintage long trigger with a half round face and no grooves that will go into it eventually.

But, the Ruger SR1911 rates as a Best Buy in the mid-600 range. Highly recommended. It also comes in a Lightweight Commander version if you prefer that. Either one is a great buy.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    ISRA Member
    US Navy Combat Vet 1970-1974

When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty. Thomas Jefferson
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Barry Goldwater

68Forums.com lifer

Picked up my first a while back...

Colt Rail Gun Public Picture Resized.jpg

68Forums.com lifer

Love my Taurus 1911 stainless in 38 Super. Very accurate, even better after some easy mods.

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Then there is this old thing.

Brett

Affiliates!

Search tags for this page

guncrafter

Click on a term to search for related topics.