6.8 SPC Forums banner

Which length would you choose for a 308 barrel?

Votes: 14 11.4%

Votes: 50 40.7%

Votes: 47 38.2%

Votes: 12 9.8%

Best barrel length for 308

6K views 29 replies 25 participants last post by  Orionsrevenge 
#1 · (Edited)
Which would you choose?
Comment on lightweight , midweight(.850/.750/.730) or heavier(.925/.875/.800)?

#3 ·
I vote a 20" in midweight. To me, this is the best compromise of OAL w/ suppressor, weight and velocity for mid-range targets or heavier game, which is why I would select a .308 AR in the first place.

#4 ·
re

I voted 18 inch,make it a lightweight
18 inch for good velocity,Lightweight for the hunters and there are plenty of Heavyweights and there are really no lightweights other than the DPMS.

Keep the price reasonable enough that it encourages someone to buy from you instead of DPMS.

Corner the market for hunters looking for a lightweight 308.

#9 ·
I assume you mean for semi auto rifles. If so, would these barrels be for the NexGen or "conventional" 308 ARs?

To me, there seems to be a significant difference in muzzle blast between 16" and 18" barrels. The extra 2" portability/weight penalty of an 18" barrel is more than worth it to me.

If for the NexGen then disregard, but if for "conventional" 308 ARs then my advice is to look for something that Faxon Firearms isn't offering.

http://faxonfirearms.com/barrels/ar-10-lr-308/308-winchester-7-62-nato/

They seem to have a good selection of moderately priced 308 barrels that perform well for the price.

#13 ·
18 or 20 would be my choice. had an 18" PSA that shot good, back in the day toted an M14, it shot better...but i'm 55 years older now. so,,,if you make an ARP 308 i'm in, regardless the length

#14 ·
16": doesn't make much sense. Better than nothing but a bit of a waste.
18": is about the minimum for a 308
22": is perfect for the 308 but longer and heavier and not needed for most uses.
20": 19" would be a nice one but a 20" with a shorty brake or crown will be almost as long as the 18" with some commercial brakes out there.

So I voted for 20"

#17 ·
I vote 20" mainly because I have been researching alot lately and my next build will be a 20" 1-10 twist with a folding stock chassis or folding Manners T-4.
The19- 20" seems to be the best compromise between compact portability and performance running the 175-190 class bullets.

#18 ·
barrel length 308

It depends on your purpose. I have 20" heavy, it shoots wonderful and i have carried it to deer stand, 1 of the reasons i have bad back. lol. If i had it to do over I would go with 20 mid to light for general purpose, if running suppresed go 18. If you are shooting 1000yds, range only gun go 24-26 heavy for more fps and stiffness l. If you are going to hunt with it do not get heavy barrel in any length you will regret it, I do.

#20 ·
I voted 18 inch, midweight, long enough not to be excessively loud and provide good velocity, heavy enough to remain stiff and not heat up too quickly to provide good accuracy for repeated shots but not too heavy to carry.

#22 ·
ARs.
IMO the long range group is much smaller than all the people in it thinks it is although there are a lot of sniper wannabes. I've owned a 24" AR, probably the least shot rifle I have ever owned. With that said if I build a precision rifle for myself in any caliber they have been 22" .925 behind the gas block and fluted, .875 gas block and .800 from the gas block forward. That would be the heaviest barrel I would ever make for myself.
Hunting and just in case rifles are a completely different ball game.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.