6.8 SPC Forums banner

shooting lead bullets in 6.8SPC

6K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  bcraig 
#1 ·
I had an interesting time to day at the range. I pour a Lee .270 bullet with gas check and it weights 141gr's they're about a 1/4 inch of it sticking inside of the case when loaded. this is the first time I've had the cases eject perfectly out of the AR with a lead bullet. I used 23gr's of H-322, 24gr's of H-335 and 28 gr's of 8208. there was just one little problem! you've heard of a minute of pie plate? well, I had a minute of cookie sheet at 25 yards, with these loads. the loading needs a little work!and NOE is out of his .270 molds and he said he'll do some more later!!!! I think his .270 bullet mold is about the only one I've heard that might work in a AR-15 platform.(and I've been looking)

#2 ·
The RCBS 27-130 fp didn't work well for me ,but mine dropped 145 gr . There is a Lee 285-130 that may or may not work . It didn't work out in the 7x6.8 bolt gun, I didn't try it in the 6.8 .
My low buck Blackthorne 16" gave me 2" for 10 rounds at 100 yd using the NOE I had sized at .278 . Sized to .280 they close that to 1.5 . In FC commercial brass and CCI 41 and 23.6 H322 for about 2050 fps with Darrs lube. Mine is 14 oz Vaseline ,18 oz paraffin ,3 tbsp STP. Alloy will play a roll.
Muzzle device? The gap between the A2 bird cage shoulder and crown caused me greif ,mine is now thread minor dia all the way through.
My alloy is 75/25 WW / 1-20 from tamper seals, and water dropped . It gives me about 18 bhn with expansion. At 106 yd lasered this load will punch 1/4 plate at 30 cal plus. Slowed to 1900 It flattens out the gas check and the bullet completely splashes .

#3 ·
Have been using the Lyman 130 grain cast bullets water quenched, sized to 0.278 with gas check and AA2230 powder. Not shot them past 78 yards, length of my closest range, and group under two inches with just enough powder to cycle the bolt without short stroking. Only other 270 mold I have is 150 grain and don't feel it's worth the effort to try. Been looking at molds, not going to go the Lee route so will probably have someone machine me a custom or semi custom that will drop bullets around 110 grains and see what happens. Likely try a flat point so can seat bullet out far as possible. Try to make most of my rifles fling lead if possible as cost is big issue if want to get a lot of trigger time.

#4 ·
I have the NOE 125 gn mold. I have been powder coating them and they shoot ok and cycle just fine. I load them on the lighter side with IMR 4198.
I do not use them for hunting and have not tried developing an accurate or fast load for these. I use them for plinking and they are good.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.