First test of the Sup Arms bleed off gas block - Page 4
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by sfsmedic View Post
    Their goal is to make an adjustable gas block that does away with gas blow back like a piston does.

This all stemmed from a convo between me and tony while discussing the Syrac piston system they were trying to get working for the 6.8. It never met my standards. I told tony I prefer DI with adjustable has blocks but do like the idea of reduced gas blow back while shooting suppressed. Next thing I know tony calls me and tells me he is working on this
    I get that but I don't think there is a lot of blow back with a suppressed (reduced gas) adjustable position. I mean, nothing substantially more than shooting w/o suppressor full open anyway.
    however when the system is triple duty supersonic and subsonic suppressed then that is a whole can of worms. IMO some of those should be dedicated to be 100% reliable in any
    situation. When the whisper came out I made it to be subsonic only and it stayed that way as the round was originally intended.
    The gene pool could use a little chlorine!

Think like a bullet sm

Yamaraja will be installing one on his 22" ARP next week. I'm interested in his results. We talked this afternoon about it and he's going to check bleed off velocity.

I need some bench time on paper before I can really give it a grade. The quality of the block appears to be there and I like the design and concept.

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

68Forums.com lifer

I have a lot of gas blow back on my 10.5" 556 upper when shooting it suppressed and poor ejection with the first one I tried. It was not bleeding off enough gas and I was sent one that has a larger bleed off in it. Now to find the time to get the upper back together and test it.

I am glad lad semicop had good luck on his 6.8 and hoping mine does well with bleeding off and ejects better.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com lifer

I know this is dragging up an old post, But Brett, is there a reason why it appears you don't sell the SA GB on your uppers? looks like the SLR is the GB of your choice?

I watched the youtube video from M bell and there seems to be not much change from a restrictive GB to the bleed off GB in the way of both blow back to shooter and temp increase to the BCG (which makes sense as it still requires the same amount of gas to operate the DI system correctly)---

there was a decrease in velocity with and without a suppressor on the SA gas block when the restrictive GB was compared to the bleed off SA --BUT the SA gas block doesn't really loose velocity over a non- adjustable, the restrictive GB actually adds velocity.

lastly in the video, M Bell showed us that it appeared that the SA gas block may be quieter than a restrictive one--- BUT his numbers had to be wrong, he was showing 85db with the SA block, and 115db with the restrictive GB---both those numbers are waaaay under what sound level a suppressed 223 with supersonic ammo actually are (usually around 135 db), so I don't trust his sound test at all

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Mil-Spec means that it meets the lowest specifications that the military will accept. Do you want mil-spec parts?

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Default First test of the Sup Arms bleed off gas block

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hog Man View Post
    I know this is dragging up an old post, But Brett, is there a reason why it appears you don't sell the SA GB on your uppers? looks like the SLR is the GB of your choice?

I watched the youtube video from M bell and there seems to be not much change from a restrictive GB to the bleed off GB in the way of both blow back to shooter and temp increase to the BCG (which makes sense as it still requires the same amount of gas to operate the DI system correctly)---

there was a decrease in velocity with and without a suppressor on the SA gas block when the restrictive GB was compared to the bleed off SA --BUT the SA gas block doesn't really loose velocity over a non- adjustable, the restrictive GB actually adds velocity.

lastly in the video, M Bell showed us that it appeared that the SA gas block may be quieter than a restrictive one--- BUT his numbers had to be wrong, he was showing 85db with the SA block, and 115db with the restrictive GB---both those numbers are waaaay under what sound level a suppressed 223 with supersonic ammo actually are (usually around 135 db), so I don't trust his sound test at all
    In my honest opinion and now that I have my test products I supplied back. It never worked properly with the 6.8. It was never properly adjustable. It require ports to be opened substantially to operate unsuppressed. Most of my advice on how to fix the issues were ignored and the typical route was taken at the sacrifice of the firearm in my opinion. The goal was always to just make it work never make it work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sfsmedic; 02-15-2017 at 05:20 PM.
    Brett

Affiliates!

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by sfsmedic View Post
    In my honest opinion and now that I have my test products I supplied back. It never worked properly with the 6.8.

thanks for being honest
    right now I prefer the SLR and the Odinworks ----I like the SLR better due to the detent and leaf spring construction over the ball bearing and coil spring of the odin, but the SLR is $50 more

LUCK
    is the residue leftover when you subtract chance from preparation.

Mil-Spec means that it meets the lowest specifications that the military will accept. Do you want mil-spec parts?

68Forums.com Industry Partner

I always liked the Syracs but I never liked the owner (last name Alexander, hint hint) and how he treats his dealers. The SLRs are a better design because they are easily cleanable and rebuildable and I did have the Syracs get very dirty to the point they didn't want to allow adjustments. The Odins are just to big and bulky otherwise no real complaint on them.

Brett

Affiliates!

Default First test of the Sup Arms bleed off gas block

The first Superlative blocks I used simply would not work in full bleed off setting. They were still over gassed at full bleed off suppressed. After the bleed off ports were opened up I was able to to obtain 3:00 ejection suppressed with my 12.5" ARP's. I also was able to get 3:00 ejection with my 8" barrel but had to install an H2 buffer with that short gas system to obtain it. From what I understand they work really well in 5.56 applications but I don't know that from experience.

The SLR and the Odin are the best restricting blocks IMO as well.

For now I'm satisfied with my Superlative blocks.

6.8 SPC Fan

Is Syrac out of business at this point?

6.8 SPC Fan

I already have syrac on two 6.8. One seekin on my 308. I plan on shooting suppresses on all three is it worth switching to superlative. I do want to reduce amount of gas and dirtying the rest of the rounds In the mag. Not sure that do you guys think

Search tags for this page

sup arms piston

suparms gas block

Click on a term to search for related topics.