6.8 SPC Forums banner

M4 Feed Ramps - Stag Accuracy Issue? Rock River?

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tim_W 
#1 ·
I have been told that Stag does not use M4 Feed Ramps, does any one know why this is? How much does this affect accuracy? Is this an easy mod that any gunsmith can do?

Do the other 6.8 SPC Mfgs use M4 Ramps? Rock River? DPMS? Bushmaster?

Thanks.

Dave

#2 ·
Stag doesnt use them becuase they say thier guns dont need them, this has been proven to be incorrect, either way you can get adco to cut your M4 feed ramps for about 15 bucks from what I understand....

#4 ·
yes Stag makes a nice upper especially with the 1-11 chrome lined, I would just suggest getting the M4 feed ramps cut there have been posts where after the owner did the feed ramps accuracy improved.

#5 ·
Please understand that the accuracy improvements were the result of the bullets in the case neck not being knocked out of alignment or otherwise damaged. The M4 feed ramps improve feeding in that the loaded round is guided into the chamber instead of being beat around until it goes into the chamber.

This is also affected by the different bullet styles. Those with large HP or exposed lead tips are more prone to getting hung up and damaged than those utilizing a polymer tip. A lot of factors are involved but the bottom line is, it is well worth the time and cost to get the M4 feed ramps cut on the Stag, especially with the 1/11 barrel.

#6 ·
Very good analysis with regard to bullet damage / deformation.........having said that, would it be wiser to go with RRA which comes standard with M4 feed ramps 1/10 twist non-chrome lined or go with the Stag 1/11, chrome-lined and mod the feed ramps? In other words, does the better barrel from Stag outweigh the feed ramp issue?

#8 ·
As long as you plan on getting the M4 ramps cut, I would go with the Stag. if you are not willing to get the ramps cut, I woudl suggest an alternate upper which does utilyze the correct twist, chamber, and M4 cuts.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5609
The best advice I can give is to check that thread and choose an option receives an A grade

#11 ·
For a entry level upper I think the RRA even though it has a less idela barrel spec woudl be a better gun especially for those that are jsut getting into an AR for the first time. If you are a schooled AR owner than the STAG makes better sense. Here is the reason for my answer:

A person new to ARs is going to liekly really have an issue with gettina gun and tehn finding out he needs to take a file or dremel to it to make it function properly.

Then finds out he need to look for special muzzle device if he chooses.

Has to get a new buffer and spring to handle the timing issue caseued by teh carbine gas port.

Has to stake his carrier key screws.

The bottom line is that the best barrel specs in the world are worthless if the thing doesn't function well por the bullets are getting slmeed and ruining accuracy.

Now if you are handiy understand the AR etc than the STAG makes possibly more sense.

It is not rocket science to cut in the ramps.
Anhyone can chamge out buffer and spring.

Finding a muzzle device takes a tad more work to find but is not the end of the world.

The fact is this all of these entry guns and actI find it usually many ARs in general take some tinkering to bring them up to what they are suppsoe to be. That is why they are entry level guns.

As to a Xtreme upper give my connection I will recuse myself from recommdineation. But I will say the only thing that puts into even the same discussion with entry upperslike these s the price as we were not looking to gouge people and were more intersted in getting the best performinmg 6.8 ARs out to as many peoepl as possible to further the 6.8. Anyone that thinks otherwise should see the margins we have.

I woudl say between the RrRA and STAG it comes down to being informed and deciiding what you are willing or not willing to do or capable of doing. Both can work fine

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.