Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M4 Feed Ramps - Stag Accuracy Issue? Rock River?

I have been told that Stag does not use M4 Feed Ramps, does any one know why this is? How much does this affect accuracy? Is this an easy mod that any gunsmith can do?

Do the other 6.8 SPC Mfgs use M4 Ramps? Rock River? DPMS? Bushmaster?

Thanks.

Dave

68Forums.com Team Member

Stag doesnt use them becuase they say thier guns dont need them, this has been proven to be incorrect, either way you can get adco to cut your M4 feed ramps for about 15 bucks from what I understand....
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

Would you still recommend Stag as a quality 6.8 Upper? With the Chrome Lined Barrel and 1/11 twist it is attractive..........

Does Rock River use the M4 Ramps? Their current Upper is 1/10 twist with no chrome lined barrel.......

68Forums.com Team Member

yes Stag makes a nice upper especially with the 1-11 chrome lined, I would just suggest getting the M4 feed ramps cut there have been posts where after the owner did the feed ramps accuracy improved.
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

68Forums.com Team Member

Please understand that the accuracy improvements were the result of the bullets in the case neck not being knocked out of alignment or otherwise damaged. The M4 feed ramps improve feeding in that the loaded round is guided into the chamber instead of being beat around until it goes into the chamber.

This is also affected by the different bullet styles. Those with large HP or exposed lead tips are more prone to getting hung up and damaged than those utilizing a polymer tip. A lot of factors are involved but the bottom line is, it is well worth the time and cost to get the M4 feed ramps cut on the Stag, especially with the 1/11 barrel.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army

Very good analysis with regard to bullet damage / deformation.........having said that, would it be wiser to go with RRA which comes standard with M4 feed ramps 1/10 twist non-chrome lined or go with the Stag 1/11, chrome-lined and mod the feed ramps? In other words, does the better barrel from Stag outweigh the feed ramp issue?

68Forums.com Team Member

Yes.........

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmaster23 View Post
    Very good analysis with regard to bullet damage / deformation.........having said that, would it be wiser to go with RRA which comes standard with M4 feed ramps 1/10 twist non-chrome lined or go with the Stag 1/11, chrome-lined and mod the feed ramps? In other words, does the better barrel from Stag outweigh the feed ramp issue?
    As long as you plan on getting the M4 ramps cut, I would go with the Stag. if you are not willing to get the ramps cut, I woudl suggest an alternate upper which does utilyze the correct twist, chamber, and M4 cuts.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5609
    The best advice I can give is to check that thread and choose an option receives an A grade

Contact your elected representative in Congress... Every email counts!
    http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...046526&type=ML

68Forums.com lifer

6.8 Xtreme upper is worth checking out.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtFWTx View Post
    6.8 Xtreme upper is worth checking out.
    C'mon Titan Armory!!! Get me my barrel
    OCD Sucks