6.8 SPC Forums banner

Nor Cal silhouette matches

15K views 52 replies 4 participants last post by  fast14riot 
#1 ·
Wondering if anyone else here is going to shoot any of the Sac Valley semi auto silhouette matches this year. I missed the first one but am getting set up for this months. I was told that the website is incorrect for open class use of bipods, they are allowed, but I will double check if anyone is interested. I will be shooting my 6.8

http://www.sacvalley.org/clubs/semi_auto_military_rifle_silhouette.html

-Alexander

#2 · (Edited)
I have been watching Sac Valley for awhile now, but I don't know how to decypher their code. I plan on shooting my first match at Tehama Shooters the 1st Saturday of May. If I can, I plan to shoot one in Sac asap. Any intel would be appreciated.

Skip

Followed your link and helped some, rifle specs would be helpful now, I'm sure my M1A is GTG, but I also have an M4-gery in 6.8. They state AR-15 or "similar type" rifle. Do they want 20inch barrels and fixed stock? or can we run the adjustable stock and 16" ??

#3 ·
My brother shot his adjustable stock rifle in the last match, but his was scoped so he had to shoot in open class. I have a 24" heavy barrel, scoped rifle I'm going to shoot.

Give the match director a call, he should be able to answer any questions.

-Alexander

#4 ·
Well I attended this match yesterday, it was a blast! Low key, well organized, and loads of fun! Scopes and bipod are in open class, shooting the 6.8 was fine by them, and it performed well in the stiff winds compared to the 5.56 guys. Had 32 shooters show up, 20 in open class (scoped ARs).

I am already planning on attending the next one in June, I also highly recommend attending if you can! Match fee also includes range fee for the day so if you want to shoot after you can.

-Alexander

#6 ·
Yep, 4 stages, blind draw start. Chickens at 200 meters, turkeys at 385 meters, pigs at 300 and rams at 500 meters.

The 6.8 did well, having enough energy to buck the 15kt wind and still knock over the rams. But, because of all the 5.56 shooters a hit at the rams still counts if it doesn't knock them down. Two bonus targets, one at the turkeys and one at the pigs, a 6" disc. Any hit on the bonus with open sights counts, scoped must flip it.

It was a bit winder than normal for there, as there was a rain storm the night before and the low pressure zone was still moving out. But, winds steadily come up as the day warms, prevailing direction is at about 330° - 340° and the range is laid out nearly straight north/south, shooting into a nearly perfect head wind, but it gets squirrely in the infield.

Sorry for the bad quality pic, I didn't bring any of my photo equipment so you get a phone shot of the range.

-Alexander

#7 ·
I live about 20 min from the range, but I am not a voting member, yet!!!!! I usually shoot at the 300 yard range, and every once in a while will ask a voting member if I can shoot with them. Hate bugging people for stuff like that.

Did the mirage kick up after 1100?

#8 ·
Mirage really kicked in after about 1300, the storm the day before kept air temps a little cooler through the first half of the day. Hardly noticeable off the back of the pig berm when shooting the rams during the match, which concluded by about 1200. I stayed a little later to shoot a bit, my brother and his friend wanted to work out some details with some other guns too.

Do try and make it for June if at all possible! I've already set the date in my calendar.

-Alexander

#10 ·
Just want to bump this, next match is coming up on June 28 (the last Sunday of the month).

Great range, good fun, tough competition! $20 gets you into the match and includes range fee for the rest of the day! Match is usually complete by 12:00. Bring 75-100 rounds, though only 40 are for record.

-Alexander

#14 ·
We went to the HP match in Lincoln last weekend, so we are out. Will try again in the future.

#15 ·
Thought I would give this another bump, next match is August 23. 8 am sign in, 40 shots for record, unlimited sighters, 10 minutes per string including sighters. 75-100 rounds is sufficient, BIPODS ARE ALLOWED even though the website says otherwise.

Great facility, great competition, good fun! $20 buy in and cash prizes for winners! All day range fee is included in entry fee, so you can bring other guns to shoot after.

Hope to see some of you there!

-Alexander

#18 ·
Today's match went well, not so much for me, but there were 47 shooters today! I found out that my barrel does not like to run clean! I started off with some good sighters on a cold bore, but once I went on record with round #3 things were all over the place! I drew turkeys to start (385 meters) and could not get the rifle to shoot where it needed to. On top if that I appearantly pulled a muscle in my lower back and after the first few minutes during string one I developed the shakes from the pain. No bueno!

Found some meds, gave up the next stage pretty much, between the barrel and my back. Flopped sides to the rams at 500 meters and suddenly the barrel was properly seasoned! Took out 7 of 10 rams, then pigs at 300 meters I posted a 9 with one pulled shot. Three bonuses today and they were small! The bonus at 300 was a 2.5" disc!

Lesson learned about this barrel, don't scrub it surgically clean the night before a match, lol!

Got to meet forum member "unobvs" as well, also shooting a 6.8 and the same barrel I have, 24" SS Shaw bull barrel. Good guy, glad to finally put a face to the name after our in depth discussions over the last few months.

Next match is end of October, put it on your calendars!

-Alexander

#19 ·
Bumping this back to the top, next match is October 25! Hope to see some of you there! I have really enjoyed shooting these matches and getting to stretch the 6.8's legs out there. 500 meters is a good long ways out, ~550 yards! Having a 10x or 12x scope is nice, but believe it or not people shoot some good scores with iron sights as well! Come join the fun for $20!

-Alexander

#21 ·
Was a good match last Sunday, 34 shooters and cool temps with very mild wind conditions to start the day. I was shooting a new load recipe and hadn't tested it beyond 100 yards, so I was anxious to get it stretched out a bit. I drew turkeys to start, 385 meters. Threw about 10 rounds down for foulers and to get my new dope for this load. Was hitting pretty good after that 10 shots, but as it was only a 15 minute sight in period and my spotter needed to recheck his dope, I decided to wait until the string to get the final dope dialed in.

Well, on the clock I get 3 shots on the sighters and felt ok to go on record, first shot was a little low, so I dial in half a minute of elevation, next one is good but still not hitting where I want, so I dial in half a minute left wind and another quarter minute up. Miss. Damn, check my elevation again and find out that my turret has completely slipped and is free spinning now! The set screws for the resetable zero had backed out! I finished out my string trying to use Kentucky windage (not really how I shoot) and leave 3 targets standing and missed the bonus! Crap.

So I find a small enough driver on my Leatherman to get the set screws tightened down. Next string was a 10 and missed bonus (checked as 200m). After that we switch decks to the rams and pigs. Rams felt really good, I hit 9 and pulled the one miss. Badly too. One of those where you're cursing before it even gets to the target. Pigs I also posted a 9, but did get the bonus, a 4" square. I scored 35+1 out of 40+4 in open division, my personal best yet!

Hope y'all can make it out there one of these days, these matches are a blast and excellent test of skills!

-Alexander

#22 ·
Figured I would bump this for those making holiday plans next month. Match is December 27, so if your sick and tired of ginger bread cookies and eggnog, get out to the range with us and try out those new toys you got! Lots of fun, inexpensive and great way to stretch out your 6.8. Even if you have a 16" barrel rifle, you can still do well, my dad shoots his camo painted 18" ARP 6.8 with a 12x scope and does respectably. No need to have a dedicated range toy for this match. Bipods are legal for this matcb, even though the website hasn't been updated to reflect that.

-Alexander

#23 ·
Last Sunday was a good day for a rifle match. Started off clear and cold, but then some clouds came rolling in. Optically it was tough as targets would go from high contrast with clearly visible mirage to dulled out and lacking definition.

My 6.8 with a new trigger really did well for me, I shot a 40+3 out of 40+4, which was good enough for 2nd place in open division. I started off on the rams at 500m and the bonus was a 6" round between targets 3&4. This was the first time I shot this trigger and pulled my shot on the bonus to the right. That's the nice thing about the rams, they have a long waterline so as long as your elevation is good you've got a lot of room for error in your wind call.

Anyways, once the 2016 calendar is posted I will start a new thread here for it.

-Alexander

#25 ·
Thanks for reminding me by bringing this back up, was a good match last month! Had 3 relays and a challenging course of fire. The bonus targets got smaller, 300 meter bonus was a 2" circle, rams at 500 had an 8" bonus and another 8" in place of ram #10!

I didn't do as well as the match before, shot a 36 as I had an upset stomach and couldn't get in the right frame of mind because of it. I was muscling the gun into position. Pulled lots of shots.

Next match is actually first Sunday in May, should be nice weather by then!

Hope to see some of you out there!

-Alexander

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.