6.8 SPC Forums banner

The pigs charged me!

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Rob072770 
#1 ·
As I was making my rounds last night I spotted something strange. There were about 15 evenly spaced spots around one of our ponds, they were not moving but definitely really hot so I went to investigate. As I started getting close a crane alerted and took off making an awful noise. As I looked through my thermal monocular the spots came alive hogs!!!!! As I got the rifle up the last three were going over the dam and out of sight so no shot. Not wanting them to get away I rushed up on the dam to try and cut them off. But to my surprise they were still there just on the other side only about 20 yards from me! As I turned on the thermal scope and hit record the image went blurry. The combination of A/C humidity and my sweaty face fogged the rear glass of the scope and all I could see was a black blob of hog heat. There was not time to waste I could see the blob starting to move so I put the blob in the center and let go a few shots. The hogs circled around and headed straight for me I took a few more blind blob shots as they rapidly closed the gap between us. Then bam one hit the shooting sticks and another bumped my left leg the whole group ran on both sides of me disappearing into a creek bed. Only by pure luck my random shots into the group knocked down four of them ;)

Here is the video enjoy!

#5 ·
Good job to put 4 down, funny they ran to you and actually hit the tripod and you.

#8 ·
Know how you feel ... was once standing with two PH's and 2 trackers on a 10 foot tall ant hill while 300-400 Cape Buffalo came charging down the valley in stampede. They went around the ant hill. Someone on the hill was obviously not scheduled out that day! Leaves you kinda breathless.

#11 ·
Have been watching your videos for some time and love them. Is it all about the 6.8 or the pig control. I think a shotgun with tungsten would have taken 6 or 7 with the 1st shot.

JD
Most shots are not that close I have killed some with buckshot but prefer the 6.8.

#12 ·
I realize I was not so clear. True tungsten would make a few more of the shots possible. At the range you showed pigs runnin you over it would have been amazing. I never see pigs like that here but would love to see how many it would kill. Some clean pass thru pellets would take others behind the ones in front. Mayhem.
Keep up the videos. It's like a fix I get from the site.

#13 ·
I would say close call Tex, but since they actually hit you guess that doesn't apply, lol.

I had a similar thing happen a few nights ago but it was a lone boar & luckily he didn't hit me. I shot him in hindquarters from approx 125yds (he was rapidly quartering away). He turned & runs straight towards me, disappeared in high grass where I took several more shots whenever I could see grass move but didn't connect, and finally reappeared 30 yds or so in front of me where I got another shot in his shoulder (120SST pass through) & he piled up 11 yds to the side of me.

Sorry, did not mean to intrude on your thread but since this incident been meaning ask those in the know here a question - Do you think hog(s) will purposely charge when shot at (particularly when night hunting) or are they just running away from the threat and every once in a while that direction happens to be towards the shooter?

#14 ·
In my case they were just running away, and most of the time I think that is the case. I've had ten or so now purposely charge me, out of those ten over half were sows with piglets. I've seen a couple of boars make several attempts to hit people in the daylight also. I messed up here should of had a laser on the rifle.

#17 ·
I've been charged by hogs a few times. Luckily, they were young up-and-comers so no big cutters on them yet. But they certainly aimed right for us and charged at us. Often times, pigs will scatter and sometimes they scatter in your direction, but pigs definitely do charge at hunters, even when getting shot at. I see it more during the day than at night.

Here's a good video showing just how brave and aggressive these pigs are:

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.