.25-45 Sharps
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .25-45 Sharps

6.8 SPC Fan

Default .25-45 Sharps

Has anybody used or own a rifle in this caliber? I just heard about this caliber, and it sounds like a great cartridge. Does it out perform a 223/556, 6.5 Grendel, or a 6.8 SPC? I'm getting parts for a SPR rifle build and want to build 2 more calibers as I already have a 6.8 SPC upper, and would like 2 more for a great overall anything rifle. 6.5 Grendel for hunting and long range plinking, 6.8 for the same, and .223 for smaller animals and plinking. But I don't know which upper I should ditch for the .25-45. Any suggestions?

6.8 Member

The 25x45 has been around for a bit now.
    Many have used it for pig/deer etc.
    I was going to build one in 2011, but went with the 6x45 instead.
    You can not compare it with he 6.5 or 6.8 though, different class of cartridge.
    More info for the 25x45 over at the predator master site.

68Forums.com Team Member

It is basically a .25-.223. No way it can out perform any .25 cal based on the 6.5 or 6.8 case. Personally I am going with the .257 x 43mm, .25 x 43, or .25 x 6.8, what ever you want to call it, all the same. The .25 x .223 is a fine cartridge and all that but I check out the ballistics of it compared to the others and decide for yourself. Don't go on fan-boy comments because they always make you think it is a laser beam and capable of slaying dragons on the other side of the earth regardless of the caliber in question. Do your own research and separate fact from hype and then decide.
    Look at it this way, bigger case equals more powder to reach a given pressure; more powder means more gas, more gas means higher velocities. So with a .25 x 6.8 versus a .25 x .223, both running at the same pressures, the one based on the bigger 6.8 case will use more powder to reach a given pressure with a given bullet and will give you higher velocities. Simple physics and all that stuff you thought you would never need in high school.
    Join the N.R.A.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.
    On the 8th day God created HKs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com Industry Partner

BB has itt covered. Finally someone that understands that you don't get velocities for free and the only way for the little guy to win is to crank up the pressures and hopefully it will hang together.

That being said I'll be building one this Fall. Of course I know the barrel supplier for those real well. They have been a stock order item for several years at BHW. The biggest issue for many is getting the dies. The best work around for that is a Redding Type-S 223 with the top hole punched for the bigger necks.

I'm doing it for fun. I know a 6X45 will do all the 25X45 will do. The 25X6.8 is the thinking man's anwer to a quarter bore IMHO.

Greg
    Last edited by GLShooter; 04-30-2014 at 11:49 PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

See I was seeing if you guys could provide some info such as ballistics on the round as I haven't found any on it yet.
    "I start way too many threads" ~ AR Lover

Quote Originally Posted by AR Lover View Post
    See I was seeing if you guys could provide some info such as ballistics on the round as I haven't found any on it yet.
    Look at ARFCOM. There's a huge thread on it. Don't confuse it with the 25X223 they talk about over there where they cut part of the neck off. It should push same same weights as the 6X45 a tad faster just like the 6X45 out runs the 223.

Greg
    Last edited by GLShooter; 04-30-2014 at 11:51 PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

BB this is a little off subject but i just got done reading your review of the 6.5x43 bhw and was looking for part 2 if it done.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson.1968 View Post
    BB this is a little off subject but i just got done reading your review of the 6.5x43 bhw and was looking for part 2 if it done.
    BB did a great write up on it:

http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...e-away-Part-II

Greg

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by GLShooter View Post
    just asked H and 6.8 forum this question yesterday. love .25-06 and have a Rem. Sendero. I wanted to explore/find out if any other options than the .25-45 were being done, considered, etc... I found a page on the .257 Raptor (.223 or .222 based). And they talked about a .25 using a 6.8 case and a Grendel case. Now I find out BHW have a .25x6.8 barrel offering! Question is 18" 20" 22" ....hmmmm
    "The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

Yes the 25X6.8 exists from BHW. I designed the reamer. It's s good deer round and easily formed. If you like quarter bores you'd enjoy this one. 20 or 22.

Greg
    CHECK OUT BHW'S OWN FORUM FOR GREAT INFORMATIUON

Search tags for this page

25 45 sharps vs 223

25-45 sharps forum

25-45 sharps upper for sale

25-45 sharps vs 6x45

25-45 vs 223

25x45 sharps review

6x45 vs 25-45 sharps

6x45 vs 25x45

Click on a term to search for related topics.