6.8 SPC Forums banner

.25-45 Sharps

21K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Warfarin 
#1 ·
Has anybody used or own a rifle in this caliber? I just heard about this caliber, and it sounds like a great cartridge. Does it out perform a 223/556, 6.5 Grendel, or a 6.8 SPC? I'm getting parts for a SPR rifle build and want to build 2 more calibers as I already have a 6.8 SPC upper, and would like 2 more for a great overall anything rifle. 6.5 Grendel for hunting and long range plinking, 6.8 for the same, and .223 for smaller animals and plinking. But I don't know which upper I should ditch for the .25-45. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
The 25x45 has been around for a bit now.
Many have used it for pig/deer etc.
I was going to build one in 2011, but went with the 6x45 instead.
You can not compare it with he 6.5 or 6.8 though, different class of cartridge.
More info for the 25x45 over at the predator master site.

#3 ·
It is basically a .25-.223. No way it can out perform any .25 cal based on the 6.5 or 6.8 case. Personally I am going with the .257 x 43mm, .25 x 43, or .25 x 6.8, what ever you want to call it, all the same. The .25 x .223 is a fine cartridge and all that but I check out the ballistics of it compared to the others and decide for yourself. Don't go on fan-boy comments because they always make you think it is a laser beam and capable of slaying dragons on the other side of the earth regardless of the caliber in question. Do your own research and separate fact from hype and then decide.
Look at it this way, bigger case equals more powder to reach a given pressure; more powder means more gas, more gas means higher velocities. So with a .25 x 6.8 versus a .25 x .223, both running at the same pressures, the one based on the bigger 6.8 case will use more powder to reach a given pressure with a given bullet and will give you higher velocities. Simple physics and all that stuff you thought you would never need in high school.

#4 · (Edited)
BB has itt covered. Finally someone that understands that you don't get velocities for free and the only way for the little guy to win is to crank up the pressures and hopefully it will hang together.

That being said I'll be building one this Fall. Of course I know the barrel supplier for those real well. They have been a stock order item for several years at BHW. The biggest issue for many is getting the dies. The best work around for that is a Redding Type-S 223 with the top hole punched for the bigger necks.

I'm doing it for fun. I know a 6X45 will do all the 25X45 will do. The 25X6.8 is the thinking man's anwer to a quarter bore IMHO.

Greg

#6 · (Edited)
Look at ARFCOM. There's a huge thread on it. Don't confuse it with the 25X223 they talk about over there where they cut part of the neck off. It should push same same weights as the 6X45 a tad faster just like the 6X45 out runs the 223.

Greg

#11 ·
There is one in the works that is based on the 6mm Mongoose case necked up to 6.5, or down to .257, I don't remember which. The Mongoose was designed to push the heavier bullets in 6mm from a 5.56 based case, and does that very well, so if that can be done with the larger bore it will beat the .25x45.

#13 ·
I have a 25-223 in a savage bolt action with a 23.5" lilja barrel. It prefroms really well with 75-110gr bullets, 3100fps down to 2700fps. I have a longer throat and use it as a single shot, so I'm not limited to AR15 mag length. It's a really good round in a bolt action and I have shot it out to 1100 yards.

In an AR the 6x45 is better for general use with 55-87gr, Id rather shoot 6.8s for 85-120gr though.

#14 ·
I run this caliber, it was my first AR. I love it. I have gotten good accuracy from quite a few different bullets. Mine is a 20" barrel. Have not run them over a chrono as I don't own one. The 70 gr BlitzKings are devastating on varmints and very accurate. Don't have my load data with me right now but will post it later. I have loaded up some 100gr Partitions and Ballistic tips and had to load way down to get them to a 2" group. I did get to chrono these and with I'm thinking around 23 gr of powder I was getting 2330 fps out of them. I didn't want to push these too much as there is no load data and SRC advises against using them. They use a RN for their 100gr+ bullets because it's bearing surface is longer then a spitzer type bullet. With the 100gr bullets I am at the edge. I can't seat them any deeper or I will crimp on the oglive and can't hang them out any longer because of magazine length. I have talked to a few people and their answer was to trim some off the neck. I haven't tried this yet and not sure I want to.

#15 ·
I run this caliber, it was my first AR.  I love it.  I have gotten good accuracy from quite a few different bullets.  Mine is a 20" barrel.  Have not run them over a chrono as I don't own one.  The 70 gr BlitzKings are devastating on varmints and very accurate.  Don't have my load data with me right now but will post it later.  I have loaded up some 100gr Partitions and Ballistic tips and had to load way down to get them to a 2" group.  I did get to chrono these and with I'm thinking around 23 gr of powder I was getting 2330 fps out of them.  I didn't want to push these too much as there is no load data and SRC advises against using them.  They use a RN for their 100gr+ bullets because it's bearing surface is longer then a spitzer type bullet.  With the 100gr bullets I am at the edge.  I can't seat them any deeper or I will crimp on the oglive and can't hang them out any longer because of magazine length.  I have talked to a few people and their answer was to trim some off the neck.  I haven't tried this yet and not sure I want to.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.