Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Wisconsin to allow statewide rifle use for deer hunting

Been talked about for a while, but it is finally here.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/outdo...225667631.html

already got the call from a couple buddies asking about the 6.8 on deer.

Still not sure if I think this is such a great idea in certain areas, especially the heavily hunted public lands??

68Forums.com Team Member

I'm with you in the not sure if it's good or not boat. Standing by for shenanigans!

6.8 SPC Lover

I also saw an article where they are going to start allowing crossbows during the entire archery season.

6.8 SPC Addict

I'm all for it... we use rifles all the time in shotgun areas anyways, for coyotes and other things.. but just not during gun deer season. I do think they should revise the rule( same as North Carolina when I hunted there) as long as you are in a stand you can use a rifle, but while hunting from the ground you should have to use the shotgun in heavily populated areas. jmho
    "fathers have an impact not only on their own children, but also for two or three generations down the line... we should teach our children, and ... we teach the loudest with our lives"

6.8 SPC Fan

I heard this morning on the radio that WI has surpassed 200,000 concealed carry permits. I'd say a holster on the hip and a long gun on each shoulder. 100% covered.
    I am not so sure rifles should be allowed everywhere.
    "For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security" Thomas Jefferson

"Negotiating with Barack Obama is like playing chess with a pigeon".

The pigeon knocks over all the pieces, s#!%s on the board and then struts around like it won the game.

6.8 SPC Lover

I've never hunted where it was shotgun only... even when I lived in a shotgun only place... I've always traveled to places I can use a rifle. When deer grow wings and fly I'll use a shotgun on them then... So congrats to the southern WI people who can now rifle hunt.

6.8 SPC Fan

Please explain to me how hunting with a shotgun only is safer in populated areas? My 20ga is just as accurate as my 6.8 to about 150 yards. If I shoot at someone with my shotgun will they not die? Populated or less populated shouldnt make a difference in the type of gun you can use because a shotgun slug can travel just as far as some of the hunting calibers used around here. If someone shoots someone during hunting season its because that person didnt identify the target or what was beyond.

6.8 SPC Lover

Here in Missouri we've always hunted deer with rifles. We are just as populated if not more so than Iowa or Wisconsin or pretty much any other state. There's almost no accidents involved here that a shotgun would have prevented. Most are climbing out of a stand, or in close timbers etc where there's a lot of cover and a shotgun would have actually done more damage. Stupid law.

68Forums.com Team Member

Shotgun only has always seemed like a nonsense law to me. Properly trained hunters who understand what they're doing when the trigger is pulled seems like a more noble task to push for.
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    A Gun's Two Biggest Enemies: Rust, and Politicians
    Obama... don't go to Arizona, they require proof of Citizenship.
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.

You should SEE how tight my rifle groups single shots !!!

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Quote Originally Posted by Ratdog68 View Post
    Shotgun only has always seemed like a nonsense law to me. Properly trained hunters who understand what they're doing when the trigger is pulled seems like a more noble task to push for.
    That's what we have here in Illinois... lots of nonsense!!! Illinois is a shotgun only state as well. Mostly because the Cook County morons that have the majority of the population dictate what the farm land of Illinois can do. Bassackwards. "But, but, but... a shotgun doesn't shoot as far" they say, and that's why. Really? Ok. Go stand over yonder and let me put a slug through this here 10 gauge in your direction. Whacha think now?

Just look up the ballistics on a 12 gauge, 3 1/2" magnum shell using a sabot slug and let's just say they shoot very far...
    Last edited by MDWS; 10-02-2013 at 01:57 PM.