Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6.8 Member

Default Looking for somebody to show me the hog hunting ropes on Fort Benning, GA

I have never been on a hog hunt before and I finally have my 6.8 and would like to hunt Fort Benning, GA. All I need though is someone to go out with me and show me what to look for and what type of terrain I should concentrate on. Please message me if you would like to mentor me and help me take out some hogs. Thanks.

68Forums.com lifer

What kind of rules are there? Here at Eglin AFB, they actually have a season, permitting and no baiting...then due to missions they close parts down even if you are there without notice.
    Vietnam Vet...Vets helping Vets...To ALL who Serve: Thank You for your Service!

6.8 SPCII

The 6.8SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

6.8 Member

You can hunt them year around except for a couple weeks during turkey season if I am correct. It is not hard to get a license here and they will even give you information about where the hogs are being killed the most. Same thing for dear. I just need someone to take me out, walk me around and explain what to look for, how to set up a blind and things like that.

6.8 Member

I almost forgot, we can bait an area, but you have to pull the bait ten days before you hunt.

68Forums.com lifer

Well maybe, I have had some bad experiences hunting with people I don't know, up to and including nearly getting shot and my eardrum blown out. It would have to be this month, I won't have any free time come Sept., but this month is almost open at the moment or flexible anyways. Baiting wouldn't help you in that case, the pigs clean it out in minutes and they aren't going to hand around after the food is gone. This time of year is fairly miserable in the woods, hot humid, ticks, chiggers, mosquitos and spider webs. Let me check the regs., when would you want to go?

6.8 Member

I understand your reservations, but I would only shoot if you told me to. I would like to go sometime in the next week and half or two weeks. But since you seem willing to take me out and show me, I can be flexible and go whenever you are ready.

68Forums.com lifer

The rule we came to(don't know why it took so long), while I was guiding, NOBODY has a round in the chamber, UNLESS they are in front of me and in fact even when I was in law enforcement, no body with a gun out of the holster BEHIND me. Not being a hardass, its amazing that people would think its OK to shoot a rifle over the top of someones shoulder, because "I could see your HEAD in the scope, so you were safe!" I guided a lot of people that I ended up hating and some that became my best friends. I used to say, the best people I would guide for free, the worst ones, I wouldn't guide again for a million $ and that's a fact. Money won't do you any good if you are dead. Pig hunting is definitely possible although very difficult this time of year on a spot and stalk basis or staking out some feeding spot. Some mast is starting to fall, I have lots of hickory nuts in my years, but I'm not familiar with Benning and where they will be at now. I can help you with pig habits and what to look for and ways to hunt them. If I am going to come down there, I would like to spend a couple days hunting myself, since its about a 300 mile round trip.

6.8 SPC Fan

Good luck!. Hope you nail em.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RTBS1 View Post
    I understand your reservations, but I would only shoot if you told me to. I would like to go sometime in the next week and half or two weeks. But since you seem willing to take me out and show me, I can be flexible and go whenever you are ready.
    I sent you a PM.

6.8 SPC Fan

From looking at the rules there, guests have to be sponsored by a active/retired/reserves person and can only hunt with their sponsor. I was interested in trying hog hunting there too, but didn't want to burden someone.

Other side of the state is Fort Stewart, which doesn't have this requirement. They do make you come there 3 times before you can go hunting there though, which is a lot of effort when you live 5 hours drive away.

Fort Benning has a nice 6.5mb brochure on hog hunting and seems to provide a good bit of guidance.

Good luck!