6.8 SPC Forums banner

6.8 PMags - MGMPI555BLK - Shooter Notice

31K views 28 replies 16 participants last post by  ozarkpugs 
#1 · (Edited)

As of this posting, the new MagPul 6.8 SPC mags are being listed on various online retailers, though they are not yet in stock. Model number MGMPI555BLK is listed now and other colors may follow.

These are the newly developed magazines for LWRCI's Six8 and its departure from a standard AR receiver/magazine well. As such, these magazines WILL NOT fit your standard AR lower.

At this time, the magazines will only function with the new LWRCI setup. However, LWRCI has stated that they will allow these new dimensions to be used by any manufacturer that chooses to do so. Therefore there may be other models that will accept these magazines in the future.

As referenced in this Six8 introduction article by David Fortier (https://www.lwrci.com/articles/SGNLWRCsix8.pdf)

Regarding 6.8 SPC magazines for existing mag well dimensions:
In an effort to provide as much internal room as possible, steel is utilized to manufacture traditional 6.8x43mm magazines.A polymer magazine like Magpul's famed P-Mag is not possible: there's not enough space.
Regarding the new rifle/magazine project:
LWRCI cast aside the existing AR-15 magazine well dimensions and set out to build a complete rifl e specifically around the 6.8x43mm cartridge. Initially they designed and produced prototype magazines in-house. But eventually they decided to take advantage of the expertise offered by Magpul Industries.
The new design allows a longer cartridge overalllength of 2.32 inches, for future long-range loads, and provides enough room for the cartridges to stack properly. Since the cartridges stack properly, we can have a full 30-round capacity without noticeably extending the length of the magazine compared to a 5.56 piece.
LWRCI then built a dedicated 6.8x43mm platform to utilize the new magazine design. While it looks identical to a standard AR-15 in size, it is not. Not only is the lower different but so is the upper receiver, to accommodate the wider magazine feed lips.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for this. I didn't know any of this. Why would someone want a completely dedicated upper and lower that isn't identical with the AR-15 5.56 receiver? Isn't that the point of the 6.8 caliber? I mean if I wanted more proprietary parts I would go straight to the AR in a .308 platform. I just like the versatility with the 5.56 (300 BLK, 6.8 etc.)

#4 · (Edited)
The larger Six8 platform and necessary MagPul 6.8 magazine was a requirement of a 32,000 unit PDW contract with the Saudi Royal Guard....with 7,000 additional weapons for the Jordanians.

LWRCI and Magpul have already paid the development cost through these military contracts and are now providing both carbines, receiver sets and magazine to the commercial market.

This new Six8 platform and magazine were NOT driven by the US commercial market. The Saudis could care less about interchangeability with legacy US AR15 rifles.

As a side note...LWRCI has stated that the feed geometry has never been correct for a 6.8 in an AR15 mag well. The larger Six8 magwell was an effort to correct those shortcomings of the AR15 / 6.8 geometry while providing sufficient added room to allow use of a polymer magazine....which was not possible in an AR15 mag well using the larger 6.8 case.

#3 ·
Ultimately that is up to LWRCI and their many users to answer. My point of view even as a legacy lower user, versatility to trade cartridges isnt a benefit when swapping away from 6.8 means stepping down in performance.

This thread was only meant as a consumer caution since there is a newer product on the market and early discriptions were vague.

#7 ·
I will be the last to know. Can't speak for the other mods. :a26:

#12 ·
LWRC Mag well for 80% builds

Is there enough similarities to the LWRC lower with the larger mag well for someone like James Madison Tactical www.jmtactical.com to modify and make it an option? They (JMT) make a aerospace base polymer lower that is 80% finished and really tough. Would be interesting if I could convince Dan or Scott if it might be an interesting addition to their already polymer 80% line up. Right now they are working on the .308 version of a polymer lower.

I have 2 lowers that were built with 80% blanks. One was aluminum and the other was James Madison Tactical. The JMT is the most accurate of the two and even more accurate than the Del-Ton (bought w/ serial number) lower when I had it made up. I think the reason is that when I fit my 6.8 SPC upper on it the fitting is like a glove, no slop or play and nice and tight.

Does anyone know if LWRC has such a patent on the modification to take a Magpul magazine? If they don't then to make an 80% lower into a finished lower with specifics for Magpul magazines would be a boon to those that wish to use Magpul's magazine.

#14 ·
Lwrc has made the specs public and allows anyone in the industry to make a lower with those dimensions as well as a mag, possibly metal, as far as i know. Is james madison tactical in virginia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James Madison Tactical is in Eastern Washington State, around Richland area I believe.

#19 ·
I have the standard 6.8 spc.
That is why the 68 PMags won't fit. They are not designed to fit a standard AR15 lower. ONLY the larger mag well of the SIX8

#21 ·
Yup. Guess I need to go buy a LWRC to fit these mags. And order some more for the one I currently have.
Just be aware that the 68 PMags ONLY fit the LWRCI "SIX8".
They will not fit any other LWRCI 6.8 rifles based on the AR15 platform.

You could always sell the 68 PMags to those here who have the SIX8 rifles.

#25 ·
Will these LWRC magazines take a standard Mag loader or is there a specific brand mag loader required?
Wow, 3 year old thread revival

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.