6.8 SPC Forums banner

AR Five Seven Lower Review

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Equalizer_2 
#1 ·
A few weeks ago, I posted a thread in which I asked if anyone had any thoughts or reviews on AR Five Seven's line of "AR Fifteen" lowers. The reason I asked was because I received 3 of their lowers, and all three were out of spec - the hole that contains the spring/detent for the front takedown pin was drilled too low. The takedown pin still engaged the detent, but it caused the pin to rotate counter-clockwise, and since it has a flat side, it rubbed against the lower. It could be fixed by filing down a side of the front takedown pin. I didn't want to have to doctor a lower receiver, so I contacted the company regarding replacements. The guy in "Technical Support" that answered the phone said to fax an FFL to them and they'd send 3 out that same day, no questions asked.

They did. And when I received the next three, they were all done the same way - out of spec again. I was getting aggravated now. When I called them up again, they said there was a shipping error that caused them to ship lowers out of the same batch I had gotten the first time. He said they'd send out three more, and also reimburse me in some manner (though I can't say how, I will say it wasn't money to cover transfer fees). I just picked up the three lowers this past Friday, and the detent problem seems to be fixed.

However, these are some of the sloppiest lowers I've ever seen. Parts of them don't have the Anodized? coating, other detail lines are not straight, rather curved and unfinished it seems. Also, on one of them, my pistol grip won't sit all the way forward, causing the Safety detent spring to be in a bind, so I have to file that down - I'm definitely not going to try getting a replacement now.

Running total: 9 Lowers - 6 out-of-spec, 1 not finished and 2 that barely pass loose inspection. $270 in transfer fees on 3 lowers that cost $75 each and they have stated that they won't provide reimbursement for those fees.

Bottom line - If you get a chance to buy one of these lowers, just burn the money you would spend on them. You'll get more satisfaction out of it.

See less See more
#2 ·
I called AIM and asked them about it when the "out of spec" reports starting popping up, and they said as many as 20-25% were out of spec. Now, with all of the threads about them, it seems as if it is a much higher percentage.

I'm sorry about your situation, but appreciate the report.

#3 ·
I had an out of spec lower from another company. They sent me an email with a return shipping label, shipped the out of spec lower to them and they then sent me a new lower. They said that a warranty return did not need to go through a FFL.

Not sure which way is right though.

#4 ·
I have two Aero Precision lowers. I've never had a problem with them in the past, but these last two (consecutive serial numbers) both have an issue with the trigger pin holes, I cannot install my Timney trigger, one hole or the other is off by several thousandths. I sent and email, well see what happens. Too bad because these have to be the nicest lowers I have ever bought in this price range, around $100.00. Very aggravating, I tried to do the trigger install last after installing all the other parts.

#7 ·
What about an AR Five Seven Complete Lower? Local gun shop has one in their case for $299.
I would approach with caution and check it out thoroughly before I dropped any money on it.

#8 ·
I believe warrantee work involving a new lower with the same serial number doesn't require the FFL as it would be the same as sending a firearm in to the manufacturer for warrantee work. That is the key. I have seen Glock do this, the frame cracked and they took it in destroyed it and made a new frame using the same serial as a warrantee replacement. Directly back to the owner.

#9 ·
Back to the manufacturer does not require an FFL to be involved as stated. I sent the same gun back three times but had to take it to a UPS Hub to ship it. It was returned to my door but required a signature.

#11 ·
I've used my local gun shop to send firearms back to the factory because the UPS hub is 30 miles away and they can send it USPS cheaper. True it would have to be returned to the gun shop (which is fine as I may not be home when UPS attempts delivery), but since it was registered in their book as shipped for repair and the same gun returned to me, there is no FFL transfer fee. I think if the S/N is different (if they replaced it with a new one) there might be an issue.
Yeah, mine is just over 30 miles from the house but only about 15 from work.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.