6.8 SPC Forums banner

Confused 3moa dot vs 8moa dot on the Burris Fastfire - which one and why

65K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  drjecod 
#1 ·
I am new to this so bear with me while I ask yet another question. OK, so I know the 8MOA dot will be larger than the 3MOA on the Fastfire. But what advantage would there be with a 8MOA dot for a 1x power scope? This sight will be for very short range shots (40yds and less) and will be my secondary sight

Please tell me pros and cons

#2 ·
I guess it would depend on what level of precision you would like. At 40 yards, an 8MOA dot will cover about 3.2 inches of your target while the 3MOA dot will cover a little less than 1 inch if my math is right. I'm not familiar with the Fastfire line, but would imagine that 8MOA dot would take a decent chunk of your view through the sight. Personally, I like the smaller dot. I have a 4.2 MOA triangle on my Trijicon and you can't miss it.

#3 ·
The difference is how fast you can locate the dot in movement. 8 minute dots are good for close range, fast shooting with pistols or dangerous game rifles under 50 yards or so.

Even w a large caliber double rifle I personally prefer the smaller dot if it is bright enough. The smaller dot bright can be used for more precise shooting and still useful for dangerous game.

Must admit up front though, that I have limited experience with dangerous game ... just Cape Buffalo.

#5 ·
I'm in the same pickle. I just assumed that, given I'll be keeping my 2.5-10x primary scope mounted on the top rail, the 8 MOA reticle would be the quickest acquisition in a home defense/ inside of 50 yard alternative to iron sights option. Given that I plan to offset the Burris at 45 degrees and it will primarily be used as a backup/ close quarters option, is the general consensus still that the 3 MOA dot size is superior?

#6 ·
It's hard to say if its superior as its really up to the shooter. Personally I use a 6moa dot on my open gun and love it. It's incredibly fast and easy to pick up. But I run a 3 MOA dot on one of my shorty rifles so Its a little easier to do precision work (up to a point). If its really 50yard and under I would go bigger. It's immediately available to your eye when you mount the rifle.

#7 ·
get the 3 MOA, I'm running one on a Kel-teck PMR-30, you can adjust the dot brightness for bright days, but lower it down for a small dot for accurate shooting...

#9 ·
Agree the 3MOA would be more precise covering only approximately 3 inches at 100 yds. The 8 MOA would cover 8 inches, and tough to shoot small groups. 8moa would be great on a shotgun home defense or hunting with shot. The 8moa would work well on purely CQB ranges where fast hits are wanted?

#10 ·
Another for 3 moa. I dont see a need for 8, except maybe a shotty.

Look at the two major combat cqb/midrange optics. Eotech and aimpoint both use smaller moa dots on their mil/leo versions. Most aimpoints are 2 moa with a few having 4 moa. Eotech has 1 moa dots with a larger 65 moa ring.

I've never had a problem with my 2 moa aimpoint and have a fastfire 2 with 4 moa dot and its stacking rounds on top of each other at the 25 yd zero.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.