Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 458 SOCOM build kit from Wilson Combat

Has anyone built a 458 using Wilson Combat's build kit?The price seems excellent for Wilson.

Does it require a different buffer spring? I know the ejection port must be larger. Any other part differences?
    Last edited by heavy_d; 12-27-2012 at 04:16 PM.

I do not know anything about the Wilson build kit, But I do have a factory Wilson 458 SOCOM, and bought one of their 5.56 uppers for it as well.

The rifle functions perfectly with both uppers. The whole concept of the 458 SOCOM, was that it would work with a standard 223/5.56 lower, with NO changes.

You are correct the ejection port must be opened up a little wider, from what I have read, you must be careful not to remove much metal from the tip of the port, if you do the trap door will not remain closed. most of the material is removed from the bottom of the ejection port.

68Forums.com Team Member

Go over to 458socomforums.com and do some reading. This has been discussed ad-nausium there.
    Short answer, their kit is good but not the end all of kits and IMO is a bit over priced. Make sure you get the newer kit that does not have the middle locking lug in the feed ramps removed. Wilson tried to re-engineer the wheel and screwed the pooch on that that mod. They have since gone back to retaining the lug in the middle of the feed ramp but you do NOT want one that had the lug completely removed.
    All other questions are answered over there but short answer:
    You need an enlarge ejection port as you know. Any upper will do if you are not a klutz and can use a Dremel and file and follow simple directions.
    Special .458 bolt.
    New barrel.
    That's all.
    Standard buffer and springs work best. No need for fancy buffers and springs. It was designed to run with the standard items as much as physically possible.
    Run like hell from their 1:22 twist. That is going to be a disaster for anyone getting one IMO. Get either the 1:14 for shoot anything ability from 100 to 500 gr. and for suppressed use, or if you are going to shoot only 300-400 gr., the 1:18 will do very well. However, my two 1:18s shoot 500s just as well as my two 1:14s do. Personally I like the 1:18 twist best since I mainly shoot 250 to 300 gr. bullets and 'calculations' say for those bullets the 1:18 is better suited.
    Join the N.R.A.
    Beware speaking with a sharp tongue as you are apt to cut your own throat.
    On the 8th day God created HKs.

68Forums.com lifer

compared to anything else you can find, the best in my opinion...

the 1:22 is optimized for lighter/longer all copper bullets like the 300 TTSX, so depending on what you want, which I only shoot the 300gr, and i'm shooting a factory gun, not WC setup, I would like to see the reports on it and how it shoots the 300's...
    Dave
    NRA Endowment Life Member

68Forums.com lifer

My upper has a McGowen 1-14" barrel. It has no problems with the 300 Barnes ttsx or any other bullets I've used so far, 300 to 350 grain. I haven't tried any heavy bullets yet.
    “Come and take it”- Texas flag at the battle of Gonzales, October, 1835

"...The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed ... However
    improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

Judge Alex Kozinski , 2003

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by elkbow View Post
    compared to anything else you can find, the best in my opinion...

the 1:22 is optimized for lighter/longer all copper bullets like the 300 TTSX, so depending on what you want, which I only shoot the 300gr, and i'm shooting a factory gun, not WC setup, I would like to see the reports on it and how it shoots the 300's...
    LONG bullets need a faster twist, not slower. The 100 gr. Lehigh aluminum bullet needs a fast twist like the 500 gr. bullets (it is as long as a 500 gr. bullet) so the longer the bullet, regardless of weight, the faster the twist, not slower. So solid copper and light bullets need a faster twist, not the slower twist. That 1:22 is going to be a mistake, mark my words. Marty has done hundreds of 1:18 and 1:14 for bullets ranging from 100 to 600 gr. without an issue so IMO this is another example of Wilson trying to reinvent the wheel. A 1:22 is going to be too slow a twist for anything but a 250-300 gr. lead/jacketed bullet, and even that might be iffy. It may shoot OK but I really doubt it will give the best accuracy.

The 1:14 is the most useful all around twist. It will handle anything from a 100 gr. to a 600 gr. bullet and everything in between regardless of composition. Hogfarmer, you will not have any trouble with heavies with your 1:14. The 1:18 is the one that is border line with the heavier bullets but works OK with them, at least to 500 gr., but is ideal with the lightweight 250-350 gr. bullets.
    Join the N.R.A.

68Forums.com lifer

lol, yea ok, i wasn't talking purely about length of bullets, when we talk a .458 bullet, its a little difference factor, much less, not as long as an all copper .277 bullet per caliber, which will make the big difference...not such an issue with the 458, so my comment is mainly weight...but I am talking about copper bullets hence my comment

My 458's are 1:14, but I do want to see the tests with a 1:22 and if you don't have one, you haven't provided any specifications, numbers that would tell us what the ultimate twist is. Ask Marty, or point out where Marty has tested it, i'll go with that, but would have to be with specific bullets.

don't think there is any reinventing the wheel, I can still by .223 barrels from 1:7 to 1:14 twist, wonder why that is, I can still buy a good range in .308 barrels, wonder why that is, because depending on needs, people may want to be at one end of the bullet spectrum vs the other...I still have my 1:12 twist .223 barrel, I'll never get rid of it, one of my best varmint guns with light bullets...
    Dave

Does anyone know where in the world I could get a .458 barrel and bolt? 16 or 18"
    I don't see anything currently available.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Stack; 12-30-2012 at 07:05 PM.
    "You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have embarked on this downward path." -- Ronald Reagan

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Stack View Post
    Does anyone know where in the world I could get a .458 barrel and bolt? 16 or 18"
    I don't see anything currently available.
    Thanks,
    WC says just put it on order and wait, can view their comments in the WC vendor part of this forum

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/458-SOCOM/products/436/
    Dave

68Forums.com Team Member

The reason is the wide range of bullets just as you said. My 1:12 5.56 barrel loves 40-50 gr. bullets but not the 69gr+ bullets. It will shoot them, sure, but not as accurately. Same with all my 1:7 twists. They like the heavies, but not the light varmint rounds ALTHOUGH the 1:7s twist will shoot lights a lot better than my 1:12 twist will shoot heavies. It is the (mythical) over stabilized versus the factual under stabilized argument. Over stabilized bullets supposedly travels with the bullet tip pointed up throughout its trajectory but still stays on course and is relatively stable until the drop becomes extreme. The under stabilized bullet will tumble very shortly. IMO that 1:22 .458 barrel is not going to work with the heavies near as well as the faster 1:14, especially if one tries bullets at subsonic speeds. At that point they may not stabilize at all out of a 1:22. I know Marty and Tony have experimented with twists at least up to 1:20 and they settled on the 1:14 and 1:18 twists. Wonder why that is? It's your money, do as you wish and report back but if you are going against conventional tried and true then do not be surprised when it will not shoot heavies very well and they go through the target sideways and you find that you have to stick with generally light short bullets to get any kind of accuracy. If that is your goal, to have a rifle that can only shoot a limited weight of bullets then by all means, that 1:22 may be the preferred choice. I think most of us prefer a barrel that will shoot a wide range of bullets weights well, like the 1:8 and 1:9 twists in the 5.56. Wonder why that is?
    I am not even sure Wilson has sold any of those 1:22 uppers yet or if they are still vaporware. It will be interesting to see if a disclaimer comes up stating that they are only for 250-300 gr. bullets driven as fast as they can be driven or even if they hit the market at all.
    Join the N.R.A.