Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cci BR4 Primers

Default Cci BR4 Primers

I hope this hasn't been asked recently but are these ok for 6.8 reloading?

68Forums.com Team Member

First, welcome to the forum.

The harder cup primers like the CCI 450 or 41 are better as is the Remington 7 1/2. The reason for this is that the free floating firing pin in the AR rifles will hit the primer when the bolt slams home. There is a fear that this will cause the round to fire which is the slam fire you will hear about. I don't know that anyone has ever documented this happening but there is always a possibility. The possibility also exists to a lesser degree with the harder primers.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army

68Forums.com lifer

They work fine for me.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    "1 shot, 1 kill!!
    "GOD is great! Beer is good! People are crazy!"
    NRA Life Member

6.8 SPC Fan

I have been using BR4 and 400's in both 5.56 and 6.8 with no issues. As to the slam fire scenario i have had it happen twice using Win. primers in a heavy barreled varmint .223 AR. When it happened the first time I thought I may have double tapped the trigger since it was a very light bench rest trigger that I had adjust just for bench shooting. The second time it was after adjusting the trigger up to around 2.8 pounds and there was no doubt it was a slam fire. >>
    No more Win. Primers in my AR’s

I just purchased some CCI BR-2 LR primers. Would these have the same or worse potential to slam fire?

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by McCLoud of Skye View Post
    I just purchased some CCI BR-2 LR primers. Would these have the same or worse potential to slam fire?
    I use them in my .308 AR with no issues. I have shot approximately 300 of them with no slam fires. I've since bought some CCI 34's to try out since they have a thicker cup.

Thank you for your response "mikear", that eases my concern on these primers. I snatched them up when I came across them due to the shortages we are all now encountering, not knowing how they rate.

68Forums.com lifer

Use the BR2 for M1a and AR10 - couple of thousand rounds loaded with no problems.
    I would not mind using BR4 for 6.8 if I could find some.
    Stingray

68Forums.com lifer

mike: BR-4s are just as thick in the cup as magnum CCI 450s and plenty thick enough for AR rifles, see link below to a chart comparing cup thickness of various primer brands. Those with the thinnest cups are Fed 200, Rem 6-1/2 and Win WSR. That said, I find BR4s to relatively weak compared to CCI 450s and Rem 7-1/2s, and not ideal for the 6.8. Of course, these days you have to take what you can get, and in that regard BR-4s will serve you well in your 6.8 loads. Fire away. - CW

http://www.handloadersbench.com/forum31/593.html
    Vincit Amor Patriae - over the top at 0545Z, 28 May 1918

6.8 SPC Lover

I will begin reloading here in the next few weeks. I found some BR-4s at the local gun show last month, hoping they would be ok - appears so. The next week I was ordering A2200 from Powder Valley and saw they had TulAmmo small rifle magnum primers in stock so I picked those up as well (at almost half the cost of the BR-4s). At the time I did a quick search here on the Tula and found just a couple posts that said they were gtg as well. Hopefully so...

My beginner question (probably first of many) - Is one primer better suited than another for a specific use of the round (plinking, hunting, target, etc)? Just starting out, would ya'll suggest I use up one brand before the other? Or is it irrelevant?