Ordered new upper
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default Ordered new upper

Just ordered a 16" Heavy Mid-length CL/MP Premium upper with the 5.56 NATO chamber. I've been looking for months trying to find one with a faster twist than 1:9 and this one is 1:7, so I can feed it anything. Has a basic A2 front sight and handguard, so its like my 6.8 RRA upper that I'm already used to. Price was at least $200 less than anything else I found elsewhere (and nothing but 1:9), so seems like a good deal.

Anybody else here have this particular model? What can you tell me about it?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    ISRA Member
    US Navy Combat Vet 1970-1974

When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty. Thomas Jefferson
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Barry Goldwater

6.8 SPC Fan
    People's Republic of Illinois, where many perfectly good rifle ranges are occupied by golf courses

Quote Originally Posted by rifter View Post
    Just ordered a 16" Heavy Mid-length CL/MP Premium upper with the 5.56 NATO chamber. I've been looking for months trying to find one with a faster twist than 1:9 and this one is 1:7, so I can feed it anything. Has a basic A2 front sight and handguard, so its like my 6.8 RRA upper that I'm already used to. Price was at least $200 less than anything else I found elsewhere (and nothing but 1:9), so seems like a good deal.

Anybody else here have this particular model? What can you tell me about it?
    Hey Rifter, it's been a while since you posted this and I thought I'd try a reply to see if you've been satisfied with performance of the upper.

PSA has a melonite barrel midlength complete upper in stock now I'm considering, and the on-again/off-again history of customer satisfaction causes me to dig a little deeper.

Thanks for replying if you get this.
    There are two kinds of control in this world, self-control and others-control.
    A society of the self-controlled is peaceful and productive.
    A society of others-controlled is a prison.
    I prefer the former.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Hey Rifter, it's been a while since you posted this and I thought I'd try a reply to see if you've been satisfied with performance of the upper.

PSA has a melonite barrel midlength complete upper in stock now I'm considering, and the on-again/off-again history of customer satisfaction causes me to dig a little deeper.

Thanks for replying if you get this.
    Wow, talk about digging up old posts! I did get it, and it proved to be an excellent choice. I did eventually replace the crap mil-spec handguard with the UTG two piece SuperSlim handguard. The NATO chamber and 1:7 twist really made it sing. Even with iron sights, it shot Hornady 75 gr. Steelmatch ammo so well, and I was so impressed, I actually wrote to Hornady about how well it worked.

My original purpose was to get a SHTF upper and it worked in that role, but I decided recently to go with a better caliber for that, so I sold it to a friend. Nothing wrong with it at all, just a change in my approach to things. If the barrel is the CMV cold hammered FNH barrel and is melonite finished, jump on it. Its a shooter. And, the mid-gas setup is the best way to go.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    ISRA Member
    US Navy Combat Vet 1970-1974

When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty. Thomas Jefferson
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Barry Goldwater

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

68Forums.com Team Member
    The Great State of "West by GOD Virginia!"

Not a heavy contour but I'm using one of these.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/950...elonite-finish
    Steve. - Leader of the Cow Eater Clan.
    Sometimes while your holding the 6.8 you can smell bacon.