6.8 SPC Forums banner

Ordered new upper

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  HillbillyStyle 
#1 ·
Just ordered a 16" Heavy Mid-length CL/MP Premium upper with the 5.56 NATO chamber. I've been looking for months trying to find one with a faster twist than 1:9 and this one is 1:7, so I can feed it anything. Has a basic A2 front sight and handguard, so its like my 6.8 RRA upper that I'm already used to. Price was at least $200 less than anything else I found elsewhere (and nothing but 1:9), so seems like a good deal.

Anybody else here have this particular model? What can you tell me about it?

#2 ·
Hey Rifter, it's been a while since you posted this and I thought I'd try a reply to see if you've been satisfied with performance of the upper.

PSA has a melonite barrel midlength complete upper in stock now I'm considering, and the on-again/off-again history of customer satisfaction causes me to dig a little deeper.

Thanks for replying if you get this.

#3 ·
Wow, talk about digging up old posts! I did get it, and it proved to be an excellent choice. I did eventually replace the crap mil-spec handguard with the UTG two piece SuperSlim handguard. The NATO chamber and 1:7 twist really made it sing. Even with iron sights, it shot Hornady 75 gr. Steelmatch ammo so well, and I was so impressed, I actually wrote to Hornady about how well it worked.

My original purpose was to get a SHTF upper and it worked in that role, but I decided recently to go with a better caliber for that, so I sold it to a friend. Nothing wrong with it at all, just a change in my approach to things. If the barrel is the CMV cold hammered FNH barrel and is melonite finished, jump on it. Its a shooter. And, the mid-gas setup is the best way to go.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.