Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
    6.8 Member

Default Barrel pros and cons: Stainless vs CMV w/ melonite

I am building my first AR and cannot decide on a barrel quite yet. I am brand new to the AR / 68 world and want to make the best informed decision I can.

I am looking at going with a 18" Bison Armory SPR with the stainless bead blasted finish or 18" ARP SPR that is CMV w/ the melonite finish. I know both these companies and barrels are top notch, but just looking for a little extra knowledge

So what are the pros and cons to stainless vs CMV w/ melonite? I am leaving this question quite open because I don't really know the specific questions to ask.

Thanks for all your guys help!

Here is a pic of my build in process

For details on the build parts check out my introduction http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...tral-CA-member

6.8 SPC Addict

Melonite, it's VERY hard, not easy to drill, and when you bump the barrel around it still looks new. I wish all my steel parts in an AR were melonite finished, I already know my Melonited barrel wont rust, but pins and springs do,lol.

I think I've bought my last Chrome lined barrel.

I don't have a Bison, but ARP barrels in 264, 6.8 and 223 Wylde I'm very happy with. I have 3 stainless ARP barrels, they shoot small groups, but Melonite for me in the future.

You really don't go wrong with either a SS or Melonite barrel!!!

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by BradL45 View Post
    Melonite, it's VERY hard, not easy to drill, and when you bump the barrel around it still looks new. I wish all my steel parts in an AR were melonite finished, I already know my Melonited barrel wont rust, but pins and springs do,lol.

I think I've bought my last Chrome lined barrel.

I don't have a Bison, but ARP barrels in 264, 6.8 and 223 Wylde I'm very happy with. I have 3 stainless ARP barrels, they shoot small groups, but Melonite for me in the future.

You really don't go wrong with either a SS or Melonite barrel!!!
    I'm not dissing Bison. As you said top notch. Their barrels can achieve very tight groups.
    Yes, it is hardened to 70 Rockwell both inside the barrel & out. It is a metal treatment not a coating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjbOZAx2mw

Last edited by WVHunter1s1k; 07-12-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    "1 shot, 1 kill!!
    "GOD is great! Beer is good! People are crazy!"
    NRA Life Member

6.8 SPC Fan

Never mind, totally misread the original poster's question.

Would definitely recommend the melonite-treated barrels. That stuff is HARD!
    Last edited by dkindig; 07-12-2012 at 08:53 PM.

68Forums.com Moderator

After owning and using stainless, stainless match grade, chrome lined Chrome Moly, Chrome Moly match grade and Melonite treated.... I am now a Melonite convert.

It adds corrosion resistance. It exhibits excellent hardness...(wear and scratch resitance). It provides a low coefficient of friction... (increased velocity) and it is very economical.

The last (21) 6.8 , .223 Wylde, 7.62x39 and .308 barrels I have bought have been Melonite treated and until technology provides a superior choice.... the next 20+ will be Melonite as well.

Kerry
    Law enforcement officers must understand that armed citizens are there to defend them when they are outnumbered…and to outnumber them, if they enforce unconstitutional laws.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________
    300 AAC Blackout Chambering Cancelled:

Some time ago, Savage announced it would be chambering the Model 10 Precision Carbine in 300 AAC Blackout. Since that time, we have tested many variants of this cartridge in various barrel lengths and rates of twist. This exhaustive testing left us quite unsatisfied with the accuracy we were able to get from the subsonic loads in this chambering. Accuracy with the lighter, faster loads in this caliber was actually quite good. But we believe the real value in this cartridge lies in the use of subsonic loads for suppressed rifles. Therefore we have decided to scrap the project.
    It is our understanding that pushing these heavy, slow bullets presents challenges not found in typical loadings and that our experience is not unique. Subsequently, many in the industry have simply adopted a lower standard for accuracy for these subsonic loads. While this does seem reasonable and we don't criticize any in our industry that have taken this approach, it just won't work for Savage.
    Our brand was built on accuracy and we are too protective of our reputation for building the most accurate factory rifles available. We would rather walk away from this opportunity than sell a product that requires an explanation.

Retired, Burned Out :
    68forums.com Moderator
    Gatewaycobraclub.com Moderator
    Ex-Mfg. Engineer
    Ex-Tool Room Machinist
    Ex-CNC Programmer
    Ex-Stearman Pilot
    Ex-Racing Engine Builder/Shop Owner
    Ex-Funny Bike Builder/Competitor

Currently in 12th year as active duty Cranky Old Fart...

RVN 68-72

6.8 SPC Fan

I know ARP's melonite-treated barrels don't need to be "broken in" like some other barrels. Also, if I'm understanding past correspondence correctly, melonite-treated barrels don't strip copper as much as others and thus stay accurate longer and require fewer cleanings

I can give only one con: once you have one, you'll find yourself buying more!
    Last edited by BaronVonReicher; 07-12-2012 at 10:25 PM.
    "They say the best weapon is one you never have to fire. I prefer the weapon you only have to fire once."

6.8 Member

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonReicher View Post
    I can give only one con: once you have one, you'll find yourself buying more!
    That is what my wife is concerned about...at least we have a comfortable couch