Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New to the 6.8

Default Crimped primer pockets: to ream or to swage?

Those of you who are reloading military brass, which method do you prefer & why?

6.8 SPC Lover

I use both methods, and haven't seen any practical difference.

I'm with Walt214 I've done both. I have an RCBS swedger and it works great on .308, but was terrible on my 5.56, so I got a cutting head for my RCBS case master and it worked just fine. For me it boils down the the convience of the device I use and not which method, they both worked just fine, just what gizmo I used to get the job done. It's a pain, but I'm too cheap to let good brass languish in my coffee can storage system. CH

The Dillon is my favorite hands down so far.
    http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...uper_Swage_600
    "You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have embarked on this downward path." -- Ronald Reagan

Administrator

I ream mine but that's the only method I've tried.
    USAF Ret.
    Pistol,Rifle,Sniper Team

Combat/Flight medic- 88-94, Flight Nurse 94-08, Chief Nurse / CCATT 05-08, Marksmanship Team 00-08
    Tours -Desert storm 2, Somalia 1, Bosnia 3, Afghan. 2, Iraq 1

68Forums.com lifer

I ream mine as well but, I have noticed that it is hard to be consistent with a hand reamer. Some primers go in easily while others I seem to have to fight a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    I ream mine as well but, I have noticed that it is hard to be consistent with a hand reamer. Some primers go in easily while others I seem to have to fight a little bit.
    I started with a hand ream but holy cow my hands got tired and cramped in a hurry.
    (And as you can see from my avatar, which is an actual un-retouched photograph of me, my hands are HUGE!)
    "You and I are told we must choose between a left or right, but I suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There is only an up or down. Up to man's age-old dream -- the maximum of individual freedom consistent with order -- or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. Regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would sacrifice freedom for security have embarked on this downward path." -- Ronald Reagan

6.8 SPC Addict

The Dillon Super Swage, even at $100 is a time and finger savor.

Even with Stack's un-retouched photo avatar(I like his older one LOTS better,lol), Duke is wise enough to swage vs ream.

If you have a couple hundred cases to take care of, reaming them makes sence, if you have a couple of 5 gallon buckets to do, the super swage will take out lots of the pain.

68Forums.com Team Member

I used to ream all my crimped primer pockets, but have since switched to the Dillon Super Swage.
    I'll never go back to reaming by hand.
    If you are doing hundreds of primer pockets, your hands will thank you !
    Pain is Weakness leaving the Body
    Force Lima 3/3
    Originally Posted by angsniper
    "Capitalization is the difference between helping your uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse."

68Forums.com lifer

I started with a hand ream but holy cow my hands got tired and cramped in a hurry.
    (And as you can see from my avatar, which is an actual un-retouched photograph of me, my hands are HUGE!)
    HAHAHAHA, I know what you mean, I have to keep it to about 100 rounds at a shot to keep it from getting too painful.