Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6.8 vs 5.56

Default 6.8 vs 5.56

I know this has be asked a million times. I am build my first Ar rifle and it have it narrowed down to the 6.8 and 5.56. Here is what it will be used for.
    1.Hunting deer out to 200-300yrds and coyote out 300-600 yards.(600yrds maxs for coyote)
    2.Target shooting anywhere form 50-600yrds. 300+ being my normal shooting range.(nothing over 600yrds at our range)
    3.Home defense.
    4.Teaching younger kids how to shoot.
    5.Plinking.
    7.May get suppressed in a year or two.

My upper will be from PSA, it will be either their 18" upper or 16" upper in 6.8. Or their 16" 5.56 upper. Right know I am leaning towards the 18"
    I am having a hard time deciding on what one to get, so any help would be nice. Would a 6.8 with a muzzle brakehave the same recoil as a 5.56, so younger kids won't be scared of the recoil. I also reload, if that makes a difference. Thanks

68Forums.com Team Member

Get the 6.8. The recoil difference is negligible, the killing power is on par with a .30-30. If the driver is doing their part, the 6.8 will deliver with your stated criteria.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Ratdog68; 04-12-2012 at 09:45 PM.
    http://www.68forums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=12308&dateline=1269311358 Make yourselves sheep, and the wolves will eat you. -Benjamin Franklin
    NRA Life Member
    Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
    A Gun's Two Biggest Enemies: Rust, and Politicians
    Obama... don't go to Arizona, they require proof of Citizenship.
    Politicians=Diapers: Full of the Same Thing and in Need of Frequent Changing.

You should SEE how tight my rifle groups single shots !!!

68Forums.com lifer

I wouldn't even think about shooting a deer with a 556 just doesn't have the stopping power. Each caliber has its benefits and draw backs. Ammo 556 is plentiful and cheap the 68 is harder to find and expensive. In my mind the 556 is a competition, varmint, or plinking can take down anything smaller than a large dog. The 68 can get varmints at further distances like 500+ and medium size game 400 or less, its a hunters caliber and not ideal for plinking. Now the 68 is a short to medium range hunting caliber, if you want to reach out you will need a 308 or 30-06 bolt gun. The 68 kicks a little harder than a 556, it is about half the recoil of a 308. But early teens would be more than able to handle the recoil.
    Last edited by WASSMAN; 04-12-2012 at 10:21 PM.
    My Article on AR calibers and why the 6.8 SPC is my top choice https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bywa...prSkJXS0k/edit

Houston Support Network http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...691#post572691

01 FFL / NRA Lifetime

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if your stupid" John Wayne

68Forums.com lifer

I agree mostly with what has been said.
    You looking at a .270 bullet vs a .223 bullet.
    Yes, there has been deer killed with a .223. The 6.8 can kill a deer passed 300y, (closer to 350-400y) with more authority. It's even Killed more than a few Elk.

As said, before, it does have cheaper ammo.
    $.78-.80 is about the cheapest 6.8 for now. But, cheap ammo is on the way.

I can't figure out the 30-30 reference?
    It shoot's much further & flatter than a 30-30.

In the end, it a choice.

PS I'd go with the 18" to get that little extra push.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    "1 shot, 1 kill!!
    "GOD is great! Beer is good! People are crazy!"
    NRA Life Member

68Forums.com lifer

Sorry i meant 30-06. Post edited
    My Article on AR calibers and why the 6.8 SPC is my top choice https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bywa...prSkJXS0k/edit

Houston Support Network http://68forums.com/forums/showthrea...691#post572691

01 FFL / NRA Lifetime

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if your stupid" John Wayne

68Forums.com lifer

Is this some kind of trick question? You do know that the title of this forum is called the 6.8 forum right? Are you asking for us to validate what you can already read freely from multiple AR forums on the internet? When you realize there is no choice when comparing performance, ask the guys if you need any help putting a rig together, they will steer you in the right direction. Oh, and welcome to the board!
    "As long as a hundred of us remain alive we will never be subject to tyrannical dominion because it is not for glory or riches or honors that we fight, but for freedom alone which no worthy man loses except with his life." Declaration of Arbroath 1320

GOA Member

Talk less, shoot more!

6.8 SPC Fan

Get the 6.8 with a 18" for yourself hunting wise first. It wil address most all of your needs. I have the stag 7H 20.77", so, I am not considering or can I even speak to a muzzle break.
    pick up a 16" carbine 5.56 upper for plinking and youth instruction. cost of ammo and weight would rational for an additional 5.56 upper(and appropriate mags). I don't know what your recreational shooting volume will be, but that may help dictate if you buy a 5.56 upper or how much you put into one.

68Forums.com lifer

I got the Stag 6.8 upper, close to what you want from PSA.

I have a BAD shoulder, so before I fired my 6.8 I put a Mako shock reducing stock on it, added a Spikes Tactical T2 buffer that also tames the recoil on carbine length 16/18 inch uppers. My upper has the standard A2 style flash hider, there are several muzzel brakes that reduce recoil even more, look at ARPerformance.com.

I think my 6.8 as configured has a little less recoil than my 7.62x39 SKS. All my sons learned to shoot this in the early 1990's, cheap to shoot but basically a 100-200 yard rifle.

I look at it this way, you are going to pay just as much for 20 rounds of 5.56/.223 ammo that will take down a deer as you would for the 6.8 ammo with twice the bullet weight, and lots of rounds good for deer. Its not likely you will be shooting military ball ammo on deer. And some states don't allow it either.

Be sure to get the free floating handguard and at least 18 inches heavy barrel if you are going for that distance.

Quote Originally Posted by EnfieldMk2 View Post
    I know this has be asked a million times. I am build my first Ar rifle and it have it narrowed down to the 6.8 and 5.56. Here is what it will be used for.
    1.Hunting deer out to 200-300yrds and coyote out 300-600 yards.(600yrds maxs for coyote)
    2.Target shooting anywhere form 50-600yrds. 300+ being my normal shooting range.(nothing over 600yrds at our range)
    3.Home defense.
    4.Teaching younger kids how to shoot.
    5.Plinking.
    7.May get suppressed in a year or two.

My upper will be from PSA, it will be either their 18" upper or 16" upper in 6.8. Or their 16" 5.56 upper. Right know I am leaning towards the 18"
    I am having a hard time deciding on what one to get, so any help would be nice. Would a 6.8 with a muzzle brakehave the same recoil as a 5.56, so younger kids won't be scared of the recoil. I also reload, if that makes a difference. Thanks
    Sorry but I can't see using a 5.56 for deer hunting. I'm not saying it isn't capable, just that theres better choices for a more humane kill.

6.8 SPC Addict

When it comes to new shooters, I've found that muzzle blast scares them on a higher level then recoil from an AR-15 shooting a 6.8 SPC. The Muzzle break(and Blast) will scare them more then shooting a 5.56 AR(unless it has a break too).

5.56 is cheap to shoot, 6.8 is a good hunting round in the AR-15 platform, it costs more to shoot, but output is MORE, lol.