Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

Default Black Hole Weaponry 6-6.8 Wildcat

Hey gang. Got the okay to post information, which is a direct copy from our Corporate Forum. This new wildcat is a direct neck down of the 6.8SPC case to 6mm.

Here's the info:

Comparison of the 6X68 to other cartridges

6mm AR* is made from expensive brass, is a proprietary cartridge with some restrictions. Does work well with the heavy bullets. Requires custom made reloading dies.

The 243 LBC* is made from expensive brass. Made from 264LBC/6.5 Grendel cases and has some head spacing differences. Does work well with the heavy bullets.

Both cartridges hold 36 grains of water as well as operate at 52000 max pressure.

6mm BR* and 6mm AR Turbo* both hold 38 grains of water. The turbo has to be fire formed and uses custom dies. It still only works at a max pressure of 52,000

The 6 BR uses a .473 bolt which at this time is proprietary it runs at an extreme pressure of 56,000 PSI brass is expensive but the dies are off the shelf.

6mm DTI* This is an improved version of the 6X68 Water capacity is 36 grains. The 6mm WOA groups in with this one as well. It too has a 30 degree shoulder but is made by pushing back to form it. In doing this some case capacity is lost from the case's original form. It is proprietary and requires fire forming and a set of custom dies.

**With Straight walled cases and sharp shoulder angles these cartridges tend to have issues in lipped magazines which may result in some feeding issues.

The Benefits of the 6X68 Cartridge

Easy to make with off the shelf dies. Water capacity will be more than the WOA and slightly less than the DTI. Estimated at about 35.8 grains. Does not require fire forming. It will give you the ballistic advantage of the proprietary cartridges listed above without the cost of and limitations of making and using a proprietary cartridge. Commercial Ammunition will soon be available from Tactical Ammunition and for those who wish to reload components can be purchased off the shelf.

We have chosen to bring it out on the market, free and clear, without proprietary restrictions for the enjoyment of the public.

If the interest is there, we are considering a group buy to kick off the production of this cartridge.
    The group buy would be a complete upper in the buyer’s choice of 18" or 20"
    Black Hole Weaponry barrel. Each Upper will be assembled by Ritch Johnson (R Johnson on many boards) with parts supplied by
    New Frontier Armory. Every upper purchased will include starter Ammunition supplied by Tactical Ammunition.

Read more: http://www.blackholeweaponry.proboar...#ixzz1plsHvNeE

Next post will be the initial review from R Johnson on his 18" barreled upper.

Brandon

Owner, South Texas Arms

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War." - George Washington to Congress in 1793

68Forums.com Team Member

Process of loading:

This is a simple neck down. I am using Redding full length bushing dies in 6.8 SPII. It takes two bushings, a .285 and a .268. For a seating die any Hornady 6mm or 243 6X45 will work. I am using Silver State Armory brass.
    Brandon

Owner, South Texas Arms

"If we desire to avoid insult, we must be able to repel it; if we desire to secure peace, one of the most powerful instruments of our rising prosperity, it must be known, that we are at all times ready for War." - George Washington to Congress in 1793

68Forums.com Team Member

Default Review by Ritch Johnson

Quote from R Johnson's post from BHW Forum

(My barrel is supposedly in the works, either 18 or 20", but Greg (GLSHOOTER) is getting his worked up as well.)

I am really starting to like this upper. Every time I shoot it a smile comes across my face. Not only does it look good it will flat out shoot. When looking at the speeds remember this is an 18" barrel. I am sure going to a 22" barrel will have considerable gains. These are also starting loads and just starting load development. These loads were safe in my rifle, but may not be safe in yours. Start 10% lower and work your way up.

After doing some research and a little math I came up with my first load of the day. I had only loaded 4 rounds. Didn't want to load more until I had tried the first load. From the looks of this group, this needs to be investigated further.

Carl ask me to try some 100 grain bullets. So this group is for you Carl. It will definitely go faster. We had to start somewhere.

The last loads I tried were with Benchmark. They started to come together as the speeds came up. Again, we will revisit this. The potential is there. It just needs to be fine tuned.

Brandon

Owner, South Texas Arms

68Forums.com Team Member

Dummy loads R Johnson loaded to 2.230" COAL

Just a pic of some dummies I loaded up with some 80gr Remington PSP's. Cannelure makes 'em look weird but I am excited about this one.

Brandon

Owner, South Texas Arms

68Forums.com Team Member
    The Great State of "West by GOD Virginia!"

Nice, Is this the first wildcat off of the 6.8?
    Steve. - Leader of the Cow Eater Clan.
    Missouri Hunters Group
    6.8 SPC Guide
    Congress Contact Link

68Forums.com Team Member

It's the first one that BHW has done that I'm aware of. The idea is no blown shoulders, no crazy angles... just straight neck down, easy to load. This should provide as many reloads as 6.8SPC as well... obviously it being a wildcat, always, always, load to your rifle, and start 10% lower and work loads up accordingly.
    Brandon

Owner, South Texas Arms

68Forums.com lifer

Looks interesting.
    30HRT, what a 300BO wants to be when it grows up!

68Forums.com lifer

Is that going to be a barrel burner at those speeds? The numbers look impressive.
    6.8X43 for hunting

07 FFL and NRA member

6.8 SPC Addict

EPW is testing my 20 inch 6x45 1in 9 twist barrel, it's a BHW barrel, it's been shooting great for him. I have a 6.5PCC barrel just back from Doc69er(another BHW barrel), I heavy many projects, but can wait to see the groups and #s guys are getting from this round. I've got 6.8 empties, this might be a very worthy project(or they will get stuffed with 95TTSX's).

What are the heaviest bullets you've been testing?

Keep ROCKIN Brandon.

68Forums.com lifer

Keep us updated! Lots of interest here!
    "We have a criminal and a system problem, we don't have a gun problem in this state," he said. "As long as legislators concentrate on gun control, we will continue to have mass shootings and the legislators will have blood on their hands."
    -Sam Paredes