Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New to the 6.8

Default 300 Blackout vs 7.62X39

What is the benefit of the 300 Blackout over the 7.62x39mm? I know the 7.62 has some issues with accurately feeding in the AR Platform, but otherwise what benefits.

68Forums.com Team Member

You can use google to see the ballistics and terminal performance. Aside from that, the 300blk only needs a new barrel to work in the AR platform and is a good choice for a short barrel and reliable subsonic cycling in an AR.

Tapatalk on Thunderbolt
    Bugg77 (aka Jim)
    2013 Kill Counter
    2 Pigs

6.8 SPC Addict

I wish 300 BLK ammo was as cheap as x39 ammo.

Lots of 30 cal bullets to pick from for the 300 BLK, even surplus and pulls.

The 300 BLK works well in the AR15 platform, some ARs run x39 like water too. If I had a stock pile of x39 ammo, I would build an upper for it.

I have a x39 AR upper and have had no problems at all with it. I had more problems with my 6.8 feeding. I think using the right magazine has a lot to do with it. I've only used the 10 round Cproducts and ASC mags, since this is a hunting rifle for me, I've not tried the 30 round mags. But the x39 works pretty slick in my AR, and shoot the cheapie rusky ammo better than I expected. CH

68Forums.com lifer

Check out Rock River Arms new 7.62x39 rifle and lower that uses AK MAGS. That should help reliability that some x39 AR mags have demonstrated. Depends on your use. Plinking and end of world stockpiling get the Russian. Trendy tacticool go with the BO.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

Works in AR mags.
    Uses standard bullet diameter.
    Cheaper brass.
    Uses normal bolt, which is both more common and stronger than 7.62x39mm bolt.
    Has subsonic which cycles and rifles use a twist which is compatible with both subsonic and full power ammo.
    More reliable feeding.
    AK ammo sometimes has primers which require a special hammer spring which is not good to also share with a 223 upper.
    Lots of high performance ammo coming out - which for some reason never did for the 7.62x39mm - probably because of the economy-oriented customer base of 7.62x39mm.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Works in AR mags.
    Uses standard bullet diameter.
    Cheaper brass.
    Uses normal bolt, which is both more common and stronger than 7.62x39mm bolt.
    Has subsonic which cycles and rifles use a twist which is compatible with both subsonic and full power ammo.
    More reliable feeding.
    AK ammo sometimes has primers which require a special hammer spring which is not good to also share with a 223 upper.
    Lots of high performance ammo coming out - which for some reason never did for the 7.62x39mm - probably because of the economy-oriented customer base of 7.62x39mm.
    Works in AR mags? Yup, some do without needing mods.
    Uses standard bullet diameter? Yup, can use most .308 bullets. Not all will be accurate or be sent with authority(power)
    Cheap brass? You won't get cheaper than 5.56 or AK, factor in forming used 5.56 brass and the costs go out the window due to time spent on the extra steps.
    Bolt? Depends on what bolt you use. I've seen cheap 5.56 bolts break.
    Subsonic? No we are getting to what the 300 is good at
    Feeding? If you mags don't need to be modded
    AK primers? When ammo is cheap and from the 60s/70s, you might have a click every so often
    High performance? That could be subjective. Not a term I associate with the 300. No need for hype inflated AK ammo, the cheap FMJ stuff works and 123 soft points kill deer dead. Isn't that what the 300 is marketed for, economic?

Help me out, I'm trying find a use for the 300 over using a 5.56 or X39. So far all I come up with is shooting subs out of a 8" barreled SBR with a can.....
    6.8X43 for hunting

07 FFL and NRA member

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
    Works in AR mags. According to glossy magazine ads.
    Uses standard bullet diameter. Plenty of AK diameter bullets available also. Hornady didn't have a problem manufacturing 7.62x39 ammo?
    Cheaper brass. But definitely not "CHEAPER AMMO"....
    Uses normal bolt, which is both more common and stronger than 7.62x39mm bolt. That's debatable with current manufacturers of 7.62x39 bolts, some made of better quality steels. Plus no verifiable statistics that show the 7.62x39 bolts are breaking, properly manufactured ones.
    Has subsonic which cycles and rifles use a twist which is compatible with both subsonic and full power ammo. Have a suppressor? No...then ignore this line.
    More reliable feeding. Another debatable fact. Many have reliable 7.62x39 ARs with mags tweaked just like tweaking BO mags. Now RRA has a specialized Russian AK mag using AR lower. Could be the game changer.
    AK ammo sometimes has primers which require a special hammer spring which is not good to also share with a 223 upper. Note the use of the word "sometimes", which comes in handy as an "escape clause" when some report having no issues.
    Lots of high performance ammo coming out - which for some reason never did for the 7.62x39mm - probably because of the economy-oriented customer base of 7.62x39mm. High performance? 2200 fps? REALLY? See above about cheaper 7.62x39 ammo.
    Notice: Above post written by biased source who's employment involves the 300 BO.
    You are the result of 4 billion years of evolutionary success. Act like it.

6.8 SPC Addict

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by 2000ssm6 View Post

Help me out, I'm trying find a use for the 300 over using a 5.56 or X39. So far all I come up with is shooting subs out of a 8" barreled SBR with a can.....
    We all have different uses for the rifles we buy. The 6.8 kick ass, I love my uppers and barrels in 6.8 from H.,

The Blackout gives me a cheaper training option, I bought some M118 pulls for less than 10 cents each, not a game bullet, but fun to put holes in targets and they hit the rocks with enough authority to see impacts 400M away. Tracer rounds trying to hit steel at 1000M is loads of fun. I convert my own Brass, my US GI and Lancer mags run my loads without issue.

I shoot supers, I'll get a can in the future, and I'll still shoot supers through it. I've been loading the Barnes 110 TTSX LV, it shoots straight, and expands below 1500fps IIRC, for my use it's geared more toward 2 legged vermin. 300 BLK 8 inch barreled rifles fit into an Erblestock X3 Lo-drag or Gunslinger II without the scabbard lowered below the pack, I wish my 12.5 6.8 did that, it still fits in the pack, 4 inches sticking out the top, or drop the scabbard at the bottom of the to have none of the rifle stick above teh pack.

I've shot many yotes with the Blackout, and loosing the brass doesn't sting. I've moved to 6x45 shooting yotes this spring, it kicks the yotes ass too. I have my 6.5PCC back, it's in line to zap some yotes in the coming week.

I still shoot 5.56 more than all the other variants I have, Wolf WPA is almost cheap, and any trigger time is good time. The Blackout does offer better Barrier blind vs the 5.56 with the new Barnes bullet, I still don't have any factory ammo to test yet. I've been shooting 147FMJs too, they buzz right through a phone pole the 5.56 gets stuck in. I've been to cheap to go buy cement blocks to test against, damn building supplies are way to expensive to go shoot.

I use a 16 inch 6.8 for deer, stacking the deck on a 1 week hunt, once a year is fine by me.

Hunting, 6.8 for me, 300 BLK- training, and fun range time, PDW(I think one of it's best assets), 5.56, training, and having a blast shooting Wolf WPA ammo!!!!!!!!!, didn't have to load it, and no Brass to process to reload again. The Blackout might not be for everyone, but I'm glad we have many good choices in the AR-15 platform.

7.62x39 ammo isn't as cheap as it used to be, I won a SKS at a pistol match, and ammo was sub $100 for 1200-1400 rounds, timing was perfect, we used to be over run with Jack rabbits, and running them down with the SKS was always a good time with friends, currently I'm x39 less Blackout is easy to load for(I use a x39 powder funnel in my Dillon Presses,lol), and some pulled bullets are cheap to use.

The Blackout still needs more bullets developed for PD and Hunting, things take time, the 6.8 now has many great bullets, 85TSX, 95 TTSX, 110 Accubonds, Hor 110 BTHP and the 120SST, I can wait to see what comes out next for the Blackout. Someone with a nice AK, should be set in that power range, they ROCK too.

68Forums.com lifer

Great non-biased report Brad, thanks.
    6.8X43 for hunting

07 FFL and NRA member