6.8 SPC Forums banner

Best way to clean a suppressor

5K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  John A. 
#1 ·
I have a yankee hill phantom and need to clean it.... What type of fluid is best and how long in it??

#4 · (Edited)
There really is little reason to make a take apart centerfire can. It probably causes more problems than it solves. The new Silencerco Saker, is a takedown, and while I love their stuff, I think the can is more complicated than necessary. I got confused just watching them put it back together at SHOT.

IMHO, a CF rifle can should be as brutishly simple as a car muffler, and tough as a pissed off wild hog.

ETA: for those that are just getting into sppressors, the rimfire cans do need to be cleaned, because of the amount of leading that occurs. This will add weight over time, and eventually change the gas handling of the can, which then might affect POI.

Siencerco Sparrow = simplest .22 take down on the market. Tough, simple, GTG.

SF, AAC, WC, Ops Inc, Gemtech, all make great centerfire cans and none of them are take apart.

#6 ·
There are lots of baffle stack designs from makers like Surefire, AAC and a few others that make take downs. Ultrasonic cleaners work well with Simple Green or other cleaners. The Silencerco Sparrow is so easy to clean, you can scrape the lead off the baffle core with a knife , and clean the carbon off it with MPro7.

I do not recommend other solvents as they make lead acetate, and that stuff is so toxic...well you don't want to mess with it.

#7 ·
HTR, once again swoops in to set things straight. Most of the centerfire "military grade" cans are sealed, ie you can't take them appart, and you really wouldn't want to. Really the only cleaning that needs done, and this only applies to the "fast attach" type suppressors, is cleaning the bearing surfaces where the can and the muzzle device meet. This will help with solid lock up and prevent a misalignment or other error that could cause a can to come flying off the end of the gun. All I do is wipe down those surfaces on the inside of the suppressor (before the first baffle) with some solvent (I use MPro-7). I also soak a patch with solvent and put it on the muzzle device (usually pretty buggered up after a long day of shooting) and go about cleaning the rest of the gun. By the time I get back around to the muzzle device the carbon is loose and I just wipe it off.

However, I need to point out that I try to keep my kit in very clean condition because I never know when a perspective customer would want a demonstration or want to see something. An unclean weapon can be a turn-off to some military guys.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.