90gr Speer TNT info - Page 2
Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    68Forums.com Team Member

My first load, and still my best.

Best group was .420 for 5 shots at 100 yards. I fired 4 other groups that day. Three of the other four were less than .500, and one was just over at about .650. I had a good day that day, everything just seemed to go smooth ( must have been lucky too ).

29.8gr Re7
    SSA brass
    CCI # 41 primers
    2.295 COAL
    2925fps
    No crimp

AR Performance 16" Recon

I have since adjusted the load to 29.5gr Re7, with all other components being the same. I haven't chronographed any of the 29.5gr ones other than just a handful so I really can't give the true data on them. They run about 2900fps though give or take a few fps.

I'd like to see them get a bit cheaper. The Hornady 110 OTM is next in line, and it's about the same price or cheaper some places now, whereas the 90TNT was the cheapest decent bullet.
    "Don't go ninjiin nobody that don't need ninjiin."

6.8 Member

68Forums.com Team Member

31.0grs A2200
    Ssa brass
    Tula 5.56 primer
    2.280" oal.

Shoots solid 1/2 moa day in and day out. NO pressure signs. New favorite load.
    we have domestic enemies in this country and i'm gonna name names........ Ignorance, apathy, and laziness. -EEL

4. Remove Advertisements
    68Forums.com
    Advertisements

6.8 SPC Addict

since this is about to become our new standard i thought it could use the additional image from ballistics gel testing to show what it is capable of.
    so this is what the 90gr speer tnt bullet did in a block of ballsitics gel as noted on several other sites, jsut referenced it here for your easy viewing pelasure.
    Last edited by SAMPSON; 01-28-2013 at 05:27 AM.
    Aero Pricision flat top upper, Black hole weaponry stainless heavy profile barrel 1:10, Plumcrazy complete lower with six position milspec stock (proudly using an all plastic fire control group), UTG free float quad rail, UTG swiveling bipod, Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm scope, PRI QC muzzle brake, Cproducts 15 round mags, Command Arms Cheek piece bundle, UTG m4 butt pad, DPMS style single rail gas block

6.8 SPC Fan

SSA Small Primer Brass
    Tula NCSR223 Primer
    29.4 grains Reloader 7
    2.295"

ARP 18" SPR barrel 11.25 twist 5R, 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff

I am NOT a benchrest shooter. This was my best group. My calipers measure 0.42" center to center for a 3 shot 100 yard group. This is one of the best groups I have ever shot in my life! It was -6 degrees and I was shooting with gloved hands (which I hate doing!) I am confident this rifle and load are capable of better accuracy with a little more magnification and a little warmer weather.

I didn't get a chrono reading because the cold weather killed the 9v in my CED M2.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovesjammie View Post
    SSA Small Primer Brass
    Tula NCSR223 Primer
    29.4 grains Reloader 7
    2.295"

ARP 18" SPR barrel 11.25 twist 5R, 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff

I am NOT a benchrest shooter. This was my best group. My calipers measure 0.42" center to center for a 3 shot 100 yard group. This is one of the best groups I have ever shot in my life! It was -6 degrees and I was shooting with gloved hands (which I hate doing!) I am confident this rifle and load are capable of better accuracy with a little more magnification and a little warmer weather.

I didn't get a chrono reading because the cold weather killed the 9v in my CED M2.
    -6? That's t-shirt weather there. Did a couple of winters there. Will be there early this summer.
    "... the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their view to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their view." Dr. Who, 1977

Steve
    An American
    Supporter of the U.S. Constitution and ENTIRE Bill of Rights as Originally Written
    Retired U.S. Army
    Twice Retired

6.8 SPC the most versatile MSR Cartridge available in the AR 15 style firearms.

I'm trying to understand how so many people are using upwards of 27.5 gr. of reloader 7. more specifically 29.5 gr of powder, when the manufacturer states 27.5 gr the max load averaging 2983 fps. the data for reloader 10 has a max of 29.5 & I'm just wanting clarification.

I'm using a RRA 6.8spc II with a 16" barrel and 1: 10 twist rate

I pressed up loads with reloader 7 at 26 , 26.6 & 27 gr @ 2.26 oal & tested them out today. I had really tight groups with .50 moa using the 26.6 gr load @ 100 yards

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex68 View Post
    I'm trying to understand how so many people are using upwards of 27.5 gr. of reloader 7. more specifically 29.5 gr of powder, when the manufacturer states 27.5 gr the max load averaging 2983 fps. the data for reloader 10 has a max of 29.5 & I'm just wanting clarification.

I'm using a RRA 6.8spc II with a 16" barrel and 1: 10 twist rate

I pressed up loads with reloader 7 at 26 , 26.6 & 27 gr @ 2.26 oal & tested them out today. I had really tight groups with .50 moa using the 26.6 gr load @ 100 yards
    27.5 max is for a SAAMI spec chamber, and the 2983fps is from a 24" test barrel. From a 16" barrel, it's closer to 2750fps. With a SPC2 chamber and the proper rifling, you can load it hotter and get close to 2900fps from a 16" barrel.
    A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

I understand that the 1:11 rifling is the new standard and allows for hotter loads. For a barrel with 1 :10 rate and spec 2 chamber, would it still be safe to load a hotter round or should I stick to the lower end of the spectrum ? When I loaded up 90 gr TNT with 27 gr of reloader 7 and compared with the SSA 90 gr speer TNT I had purchased, the grouping was similar. Would adding another grain tighten up the groups a little or is increased velocity all I can expect ?

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex68 View Post
    I understand that the 1:11 rifling is the new standard and allows for hotter loads. For a barrel with 1 :10 rate and spec 2 chamber, would it still be safe to load a hotter round or should I stick to the lower end of the spectrum ? When I loaded up 90 gr TNT with 27 gr of reloader 7 and compared with the SSA 90 gr speer TNT I had purchased, the grouping was similar. Would adding another grain tighten up the groups a little or is increased velocity all I can expect ?
    It sounds like your a little new to reloading, and I am going to advise you to start a new thread asking for help. There are a lot of us here that will jump in with sound advice and we will walk you though everything. That way we can keep this thread clean and get you some answers!
    "We have a criminal and a system problem, we don't have a gun problem in this state," he said. "As long as legislators concentrate on gun control, we will continue to have mass shootings and the legislators will have blood on their hands."
    -Sam Paredes

Search tags for this page

90 gr tnt gel test

90 grain sierra tnt load data

90 grain speer tnt

90 grn tnt gel test

cci-speer 90 tnt loads

speer tnt

speer tnt 90

Click on a term to search for related topics.