6.8 SPC Forums banner

90gr Speer TNT info

68K views 68 replies 47 participants last post by  10gaugemag 
#1 · (Edited)
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just post the facts or your experience with the bullets. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy. If you don't have any experience please let those that do have experience provide the info for others to learn from.
length .858"
BC- .275

#2 ·
The first of the bullet info gathering threads, lets try to keep the chit chat to a minium and not argu with others opinions. Please just the facts. How they performed on game, the accuracy of the bullet and loading data that produced good accuracy.
Now this is the sweetest little load I have. The Speer TNT loaded in SSA brass with a Cartridge Over All Length of 2.295 inches, 29.5 grains of Alliant RL-7 powder and a Remington 7 1/2 Bench Rest primer, I get about .5 inch groups at 100 yards.

I've shot hundreds of prairie dogs out to over 300 yards with this load. This is a real winner of a load!

Daniel

#5 · (Edited)
With 31.0gr of H322 loaded to 2.300 I get .46 MOA at 2800 fps. Very accurate and has performed well on 2 does at approx. 100yds and has taken a hog from about 80. All 3 animals traveled less than 20yds.
With RE7 29.0gr I get 2720fps and .25 MOA
Here is the group with 31gr of H322:

Reactions: simonp67
#6 ·
29.5 grs rx7
Remington or Hornady brass.
Cci 34 or 41 respectively.
2.280" oal.

3/4 moa from remington or 1/2 moa from hornady. A good solid all around bullet. Tough enough for light big game. Cheap enough to shoot all the time accurate enough for most any job. If you need to find out if your upper is accurate you need to try this one. It shoots well from any gun I've tried it in.

#7 ·
Here's one of my best groups so far, this was with factory SSA ammo, standard loading with a Vortex Crossfire @ 100 yards from a 20" Bison barrel.

#9 ·
I run 29.5 of RE7 with SSA or Hornady brass, pick a primer and shoot it, I shoot these the most and routinely shoot small clays (I think they are 2 inches across) all day long with that load.

Reactions: constructor
#11 ·
My first load, and still my best.

Best group was .420 for 5 shots at 100 yards. I fired 4 other groups that day. Three of the other four were less than .500, and one was just over at about .650. I had a good day that day, everything just seemed to go smooth ( must have been lucky too ).

29.8gr Re7
SSA brass
CCI # 41 primers
2.295 COAL
2925fps
No crimp

AR Performance 16" Recon

I have since adjusted the load to 29.5gr Re7, with all other components being the same. I haven't chronographed any of the 29.5gr ones other than just a handful so I really can't give the true data on them. They run about 2900fps though give or take a few fps.

I'd like to see them get a bit cheaper. The Hornady 110 OTM is next in line, and it's about the same price or cheaper some places now, whereas the 90TNT was the cheapest decent bullet.

#14 · (Edited)
since this is about to become our new standard i thought it could use the additional image from ballistics gel testing to show what it is capable of.
so this is what the 90gr speer tnt bullet did in a block of ballsitics gel as noted on several other sites, jsut referenced it here for your easy viewing pelasure.:a04:

#15 ·
SSA Small Primer Brass
Tula NCSR223 Primer
29.4 grains Reloader 7
2.295"

ARP 18" SPR barrel 11.25 twist 5R, 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff

I am NOT a benchrest shooter. This was my best group. My calipers measure 0.42" center to center for a 3 shot 100 yard group. This is one of the best groups I have ever shot in my life! It was -6 degrees and I was shooting with gloved hands (which I hate doing!) I am confident this rifle and load are capable of better accuracy with a little more magnification and a little warmer weather.

I didn't get a chrono reading because the cold weather killed the 9v in my CED M2.

#16 ·
SSA Small Primer Brass
Tula NCSR223 Primer
29.4 grains Reloader 7
2.295"

ARP 18" SPR barrel 11.25 twist 5R, 2-7x32 Nikon Prostaff

I am NOT a benchrest shooter. This was my best group. My calipers measure 0.42" center to center for a 3 shot 100 yard group. This is one of the best groups I have ever shot in my life! It was -6 degrees and I was shooting with gloved hands (which I hate doing!) I am confident this rifle and load are capable of better accuracy with a little more magnification and a little warmer weather.

I didn't get a chrono reading because the cold weather killed the 9v in my CED M2.
-6? That's t-shirt weather there. Did a couple of winters there. Will be there early this summer.

#17 ·
I'm trying to understand how so many people are using upwards of 27.5 gr. of reloader 7. more specifically 29.5 gr of powder, when the manufacturer states 27.5 gr the max load averaging 2983 fps. the data for reloader 10 has a max of 29.5 & I'm just wanting clarification.

I'm using a RRA 6.8spc II with a 16" barrel and 1: 10 twist rate

I pressed up loads with reloader 7 at 26 , 26.6 & 27 gr @ 2.26 oal & tested them out today. I had really tight groups with .50 moa using the 26.6 gr load @ 100 yards

#18 ·
I'm trying to understand how so many people are using upwards of 27.5 gr. of reloader 7. more specifically 29.5 gr of powder, when the manufacturer states 27.5 gr the max load averaging 2983 fps. the data for reloader 10 has a max of 29.5 & I'm just wanting clarification.

I'm using a RRA 6.8spc II with a 16" barrel and 1: 10 twist rate

I pressed up loads with reloader 7 at 26 , 26.6 & 27 gr @ 2.26 oal & tested them out today. I had really tight groups with .50 moa using the 26.6 gr load @ 100 yards
27.5 max is for a SAAMI spec chamber, and the 2983fps is from a 24" test barrel. From a 16" barrel, it's closer to 2750fps. With a SPC2 chamber and the proper rifling, you can load it hotter and get close to 2900fps from a 16" barrel.

Reactions: straightshooter
#19 ·
I understand that the 1:11 rifling is the new standard and allows for hotter loads. For a barrel with 1 :10 rate and spec 2 chamber, would it still be safe to load a hotter round or should I stick to the lower end of the spectrum ? When I loaded up 90 gr TNT with 27 gr of reloader 7 and compared with the SSA 90 gr speer TNT I had purchased, the grouping was similar. Would adding another grain tighten up the groups a little or is increased velocity all I can expect ?

#20 ·
It sounds like your a little new to reloading, and I am going to advise you to start a new thread asking for help. There are a lot of us here that will jump in with sound advice and we will walk you though everything. That way we can keep this thread clean and get you some answers!

#26 ·
I see many optimal loads are well in excess of 2.260. I don't have that option with a variety of non-PRI mags available, so I'm sticking with 2.260 -.010 for a COAL.

Does anyone have any specific loads for COAL of 2.260 with Re7 and SSA brass? My tube is one of Constructor's 16inch Melanite coated 5R, 11T.

#32 · (Edited)
Has anybody been able to try LT32 with this bullet? Seems the powder may work with a wide range of bullet weights.
I think I'll go ahead and try some anyway but wondering about anybody else's results.

#34 ·
here is some info from my thread on 1200r......should have updated info this weekend

2.295 oal
90gr Speer TNT w/1200-R .............3-shot groups@100yds
29.5 2767 1.068 group
30.0 2812 1.750 group,.....may have screwed up a shot
30.5 2826 0.434.....BEST GROUP
31.0 2881 1.200 group, starting to show minor pressure signs?
31.5 xxxx 1.127 group, chrono didnt register, flat primers, ejector swipes
32.0 XXXX did not chrono, heavy pressure signs, did not proceed.

#37 ·
I like it for coyotes, I use the sierras more because I can get them locally for cheap, but the TNTs are like the hammer of Thor dropping on a yote from 10-300yds. I would not hesitate to use it for a doe or small buck ether. But I would use a more traditional hunting bullet if your going after pigs or have a chance at a trophy buck. The Sierras would blow up too soon, the TNT would hold together better, but I would want something that I know would work great.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.