Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here

Default AR Performance 16" Spiral Fluted Barrels

Can anyone give me some info on AR Performance's 16" 6.8 spiral fluted barrels. They look really cool. I'm looking for the specs on the barrels and to find out if they generally shot the same, better or worse than the standard ARP barrels. Also, how much do these cost. Is the fluting actually deep enough to help cool the barrel, or it is primarily for looks. I can't seem to find them on their website. I assume that they are being blocked because they don't have any in stock. Thanks for your help----Grey

68Forums.com lifer

If I remember correctly he stopped doing them. I think it had something to do with trademark or copyright BS.
    30HRT, what a 300BO wants to be when it grows up!

There was one for sale on AR-15.com in 6.8 SPC, new and unused. Don't know if it sold yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Helotes View Post
    If I remember correctly he stopped doing them.
    I had the impression that it was a weight saving thing. Hunters who trek the fields a lot tend to look for ways to save weight without sacrificing accuracy, so that would make sense. My 18" SPR profile is heaver than a "normal" profile, so I could understand wanting that, although my main usage will be hunting from a blind and I don't mind the heavier profile.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by Team Helotes View Post
    If I remember correctly he stopped doing them. I think it had something to do with trademark or copyright BS.
    I believe your spot on TH.
    NRA Endowment Member
    Managing Member: Suppression Solutions LLC
    Custom AR Uppers and Parts
    " Vision without execution is hallucination" Thomas Edison

68Forums.com Industry Partner

Correct, a patent. we have stopped fluting barrels, 2-3oz isn't that big of a savings anyway.
    SIX5 -6.5mm on a 6.8 case
    Nexgen the lightest 308 AR coming mid 2014
    http://www.msrhunt.com/

The 6.8 is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15

6.8 Member

It helps control the temperatures as well. Accuracy International uses fluting on their bolts to prevent them from freezing up in subzero temperatures.