Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here

Default Adjusting iron sights for elevation

Just picked up my Tactical Lightweight Hunter in 6.8. Shot the iron sights before sighting in the Accupoint 1-4x24 scope. Iron sights are about 2" high at 25 yards. I have the tritium front sight which was installed at WC. How do I adust the iron sights for elevation? I see the knob for windage but nothing for elevation. Do I screw the front sight further in or out?

6.8 SPC Lover

You want to make the front sight taller in order to bring the point of impact down. How much depends on the zero range you select to use.

Yes, you raise the sight to lower the point of impact on the target, and you lower the sight to raise the point of impact on the target. You do the opposite with the front sight as you want the bullet go on the target. With the rear sight you move it the way you want the bullet to go on the target. With iron sights you should be shooting low at 25 yards, if you're high at 25 you'll be really high at a 100. A lot of people zero dead on at 50 and that will probably do you for most ranges you'll shoot with irons. CH

How do I raise the front sight? Turn it?

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by The Savage Rabbit View Post
    How do I raise the front sight? Turn it?
    Assuming you have some variation of a standard or folding AR-15 sight, you want to adjust the sight counter-clockwise to lower the POI. You accomplish this by depressing the spring-loaded locking pin with a bullet nose (or something similar made of brass) while simultaneously rotating the sight with the bullet nose. Try Googling for AR-15 sight adjustment.

Savage Rabbit,
    First, thanks for being a customer! My Lightweight 6.8 stays in my truck all the time, and I'm sure you will enjoy yours! Here is a video explaining adjusting your iron sights.......
    Last edited by WilsonCombatRep; 11-27-2011 at 06:10 PM.
    Wilson Combat, On Your Side!

WilsonCombatRep
    http://www.wilsoncombat.com/
    Customer Service 1-800-955-4856

To add to the video, a sight adjustment tool makes it much easier/faster, but is not required. You can use a nail, small punch, or any similar tool to depress the detent and rotate the post. Military shooters primarily use the tip of a 5.56 bullet, but 6.8 shooter are typically using soft nosed hunting bullets and that technique is not advisable.

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. - TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 68WJ View Post
    To add to the video, a sight adjustment tool makes it much easier/faster, but is not required. You can use a nail, small punch, or any similar tool to depress the detent and rotate the post. Military shooters primarily use the tip of a 5.56 bullet, but 6.8 shooter are typically using soft nosed hunting bullets and that technique is not advisable.
    I found the site tool in the package of stuff that came with the gun and turned the front sight twice. Thank you all or your help.I love this rifle. It has the best trigger I've ever felt on a rifle.Reminds me of a 1911. Was it supposed to come with a 10 round mag? The supplied mag only fits 5.