Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Which 1-6x illuminated scope ?

Hey guys

Can someone steer me towards a nice 1-6x or 1.5-6x scope. Schmidt and Bender are just a tad too expensive.
    I would like to stay in the $1000 range. Im pretty much trusting you guys on this one. Name a couple and i will go get one. Thanks for the help

Oh also this is for CQB to mid range action.
    Last edited by T9gear; 11-02-2011 at 01:00 AM.

6.8 SPC Fan

New Leopold firedot in 2x7

68Forums.com Team Member

Most of the 1-6x scopes are going to be more $1k.....as txmiller said, the new Leupold VX-R's should fit the bill nicely for under $1k....for the 2-7x

I deal with about 5%-10% of the population 80%-90% of the time...

Owner: Silverback FA

Quote Originally Posted by OC455 View Post
    Most of the 1-6x scopes are going to be more $1k.....as txmiller said, the new Leupold VX-R's should fit the bill nicely for under $1k....for the 2-7x
    How bad would it be for up close buissness. Since its not a true x1 ?

68Forums.com Team Member

When you say close in, are you talking less than 10yards? You should be good to go.

I deal with about 5%-10% of the population 80%-90% of the time...

Owner: Silverback FA

If you are truly doing CQB, I would still opt for a 1x but wouldn't be concerned with going so high on magnification. Coming back to the VX-R, they also do a 1-4x and the reticle setup is very nice.

My 6.8 is a hunting rifle, so 2x is perfect for walking around and most deer shots, but I can go up to 7x if I need to.

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. - TJ

Wouldn't it be better to go with a 4-16X50 and a small dot sight like the Burris mounted on top of the scope tube? That set up would offer options for both close in/fast moving target and long range precision.

I used my 6.8 fitted with a 2-8x Nikon Monarch in a 3-gun match last month and it worked perfectly. Some of the targets were less than 10 yards distant and it was no problem hitting them accurately and fast. The problem you are going to find is the range of power you are looking for. Most true 1x scopes have a 4 power range...meaning they will go from 1-4 power. Most scopes I know use either a 3 or 4 power range. Of course there are exceptions, but those exceptions are pricey. You can do REALLY well going the way mas360 recommended. You can get a GREAT 4-16x scope and add a J-point, Burris or other microdot sight mounted on the side or at an angle and still be much less than $1000. Not sure if it matters, but 2 sights like that will bump you up to "open" class in 3-gun competitions.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoGringo View Post
    I used my 6.8 fitted with a 2-8x Nikon Monarch in a 3-gun match last month and it worked perfectly. Some of the targets were less than 10 yards distant and it was no problem hitting them accurately and fast. The problem you are going to find is the range of power you are looking for. Most true 1x scopes have a 4 power range...meaning they will go from 1-4 power. Most scopes I know use either a 3 or 4 power range. Of course there are exceptions, but those exceptions are pricey. You can do REALLY well going the way mas360 recommended. You can get a GREAT 4-16x scope and add a J-point, Burris or other microdot sight mounted on the side or at an angle and still be much less than $1000. Not sure if it matters, but 2 sights like that will bump you up to "open" class in 3-gun competitions.
    So are you saying the expensive ones would go x1 click x2 click x3 ....... and the cheaper ones just go from 1the straight to x4 magnification?

No, it is that to have a true 1x, and still go up to >5x, it is more difficult to accomplish and thus more expensive. I believe additional lenses are required to effectively manipulate the light through that much magnification. More focused glass equals more money.

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. - TJ