Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    6.8 SPC Addict

Default Tula 5.56 ammo... not for me

Many friends and family had a nice range session yesterday, we shoot lots of 5.56 ammo and a couple of boxes of 6.8 ammo.

I've shot Wolf 223 ammo in the past(when a friend brings it), the steel cased ammo worked OK, but I'm a brassed cased guy. We had some Tula 5.56 ammo with us, 62 gr stuff, steel cased. The Tula failed to cycle any of our AR-15s, and the cases would cause a short cycle and the spent case would end back in the chamber, where they all would be hard to extract. After tapping the butt stock off the ground to clear many stoppages, we had a case head rip off leaving one rifle out of action.

I'm very sceptically of buying any of the steel cased ammo just for range sessions or to store away. All the AR's ran fine with other Military bulk ammo(IMI, LC), and the hand loads all were OK.

On the Bright side, we shot lots of ammo through a ARP 12.5 inch barreled Pistol(one day to be SBR). This barrel has a Mid gas system, and the gas block is very near the muzzle. It's ported well, and works great, and it shot many of the Tannerite targets at 100m with just a front site on it. 6.8's ROCK.

Any of you guys have good luck with any of the steel cased ammo? I don't think it's cheap enough, hell I would throw away any Tula ammo that was given to me.

I fired about 150 rds of Tula in a match once due to being behind on my loading. No problems for me. It was the 55gr stuff though. Some guns just don't like it.

He has erected a multitude of new offices, and sent hither swarms of officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. - TJ

I would leave this to a Tula problem and not just a steel cased problem. Do you still have the boxes? You could get the lot numbers and call them. probably replace t. Might be a bad batch and they need to know.

train like your life depends on it, Because it does!
    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted by HTR:
    They're smarter than dogs, warier than turkeys or deer, and more evil than a dungeon full of Mansons

68Forums.com Team Member

I've never personally had any problems with Tula 5.56 or 9mm. A buddy had some cycling issues with it, but he was running a 12.5" barrel with a standard CAR buffer and spring. After switching to a tungsten buffer his issues went away. Another guy had some problems with extraction, but also had issues with brass cased ammo and it turned out to be a faulty extractor.

I prefer to set my guns up to run as wide a range of ammo as practical, match chambers or recoil-reducing springs can affect cycling with lower quality ammo, but may provide better accuracy. You really just have to decide where your tipping point is for accuracy, reliability, suitability, etc and work within that envelope.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry (1775)

https://www.facebook.com/GunOwnersAg...ogleCensorship

6.8 SPC Addict

I have the boxes, I'll pursue communication with them. The ammo was bought at Sprortsmans warehouse the day of the shoot, so it shouldn't of been to old.

It's nice to have a low cost solution that doesn't take time and labor on my part to go shooting. It's nice to know what works and what doesn't either.

I've seen this ammo for sale under $180/1k locally, lots of LC for sale around $300/1k. Buying once fired brass and all components, and loading 1k cost about $170.

I'll test some wolf and 55gr Tula, I also haven't priced it at Wally world, but I think I've seen it there. If there is an ammo crisis, I need to know what works

Thanks guys, I'm glad to here it works for some.

My buddy is having fits with his new DDM4v2 shooting the Tull...I'll pass this on to him, I only to let him know he isn't alone...

68Forums.com Team Member

Our wally world stocks it at $5/box, I use it for short range speed drills. Hunting or precision shooting I prefer handloads or quality brass factory loads. I have gotten 1-2" groups with the Tula pretty regularly at 100 yards so it isn't usually too bad, though velocity may be on the weak side. If you normally run 5.56 in your gun then a light .223 load could certainly be an issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains or slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death! ~ Patrick Henry (1775)

https://www.facebook.com/GunOwnersAg...ogleCensorship

There was a guy who was using this ammo at a 3-gun shoot 2 weeks ago. He told me it's all he uses (lacquered steel cased ammo) and he's never had a problem. Then on 1 stage his rifle became a single-shot AR because of the Tula ammo. A stage that shouldn't have taken more than 50 seconds became a 2+ minute affair for him. He was also using a Tapco magazine, so it could have been a combination. What I do know for me is that I will not use Russian, lacquered ammo in my rifles. I like my rifles too much to do that to them.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.

6.8 SPC Lover

I never had any trouble with Tula (had a kaboom w/ Hornady steel cases .223). I won't shoot Tula anymore because of how dirty it is though.

6.8 SPC Addict

ARF.com has lots of ammo info. It looks like Wolf has some Poly coated stuff that has a higher chance of working, Wolf doesn't make the ammo, they buy and distribute it. This Tula doesn't appear to have any coating, but I've read the steel cases don't expand as much or as fast as brass, this might of caused some sticky cases. It was 3 rifles, and in 40 rounds, one gun with a stuck case, and 2 others with sticky cases and short stroking.

I'll test some Wolf poly coated stuff, and if it works good, and the price drops(I'm dreaming, but sub $100 sounds good for 1k), I'll give it another look.