Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6.8 Member

I have had extremely good accuracy and no pressure signs with Rem brass and 30.6 grains of H335. I haven't shot any animals with it yet but I think the prohunters seem to be built for .270 velocities and would be concerned about using them at the low end.

68Forums.com lifer

Quote Originally Posted by mohunter55 View Post
    looks like i'll continue to work up. I won't go past 29 grains (max load listed) which is 2450. I just don't feel comfortable going past a listed max. Will I start to see flattened primers or any other signs at 29grains? My gun already shows light ejector marks with all loads, so that is a little difficult to judge for me.
    This is normally good advice, but with the 6.8, the listed SAMMI loads are for the older spec guns. Even the max in the sammi spec is very mild in a rifle with good specs (better chamber/barrell twist, ect). I exceed max loads in the 6.8 often but I work up the loads and stop when I see excessive pressure signs.
    I disclaim all possible liability for damages including, actual, incidental and consequential, resulting from usage of the information contained in this message. If you do end up using the data posted, it will be at your own risk, and please use extreme caution and proper reloading practices.

68Forums.com lifer

I have used up to 30.5 grains H335 with 110 Barnes TSX and 110 Accubonds with SSA brass and CCI41's. My 16" ARP barrel shot the 30.5 excellently, but had some crazy things going on in a different barrel. The ARP barrel shot the Accubonds fairly at up to 30.05 grains. I have loaded the 110 Prohunters with many powders, but H335 is one that I have not used with it yet. I would really think about keeping the loads at 30 grains max.

I tested out the Silver State Armory 110grain prohunter tactical loads today. It looks like they still are using non-milspec primers, they were silver instead of gold. Is it normal for the tactical loads to show a flattened primer? I'm assuming it would be.

6.8 SPC Lover
    Cleveland, WI, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

I heard they were using non-milspec primers for a while, but it's been a years since I've shot any factory ammo. When loading the 6.8, I stop as soon as I see crescent shaped swipes, you should be able to find an accurate load just below that point. 29gr of H322 under a 110 Pro Hunter is an accurate load and about 2600 fps from a 16" barrel, and shouldn't be a problem in your Bison. RL10x can be faster, but IMO is not as consistent.
    A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.

I asked in your other thread if you had any other signs besides the primers? If not then it is just the soft primers and not much to worry about. I would switch to H322 if you are not going to go over the books load data. But you can as most of that data is done off of the SAAMI chamber and if you have a spec2 chamber it will allow you to do more. You can get up to 30gr with no problem. Also AA 2200 would be a great one as well.

For the primers I would look for other signs.

train like your life depends on it, Because it does!
    A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Posted by HTR:
    They're smarter than dogs, warier than turkeys or deer, and more evil than a dungeon full of Mansons

Thanks James. I posted pictures in the other thread and constructor replied saying that everything looked okay. Now i just need to figure out where the tactical loads shoot compared to my reloads at 100 yards. I was only able to shoot at 25 yards and the tactical loads were dead on. My reloads are around 2 inches load at 25, but dead on at 100. I'm assuming the tactical load will be a little high at 100 yards now. I plan to go back and shoot this coming weekend. I think what I'm going to do is set my rifle up with the hotter loads for deer season and then use the lighter loads for range practice. I feel a little safer using the lighter loads.

68Forums.com Team Member

Quote Originally Posted by mohunter55 View Post
    Thanks James. I posted pictures in the other thread and constructor replied saying that everything looked okay. Now i just need to figure out where the tactical loads shoot compared to my reloads at 100 yards. I was only able to shoot at 25 yards and the tactical loads were dead on. My reloads are around 2 inches load at 25, but dead on at 100. I'm assuming the tactical load will be a little high at 100 yards now. I plan to go back and shoot this coming weekend. I think what I'm going to do is set my rifle up with the hotter loads for deer season and then use the lighter loads for range practice. I feel a little safer using the lighter loads.
    A 110 gr. bullet over 29.5 gr. of H-322 should give you about 2600 fps from a 16" bbl. Setting your scope for about 1.8" high at 100 yds. will give you an approximate zero point of 250 yds give or take. 29.5 of AA-2200 will give 2700 from a 16", and shoot a bit flatter, so you might need to adjust your scope a couple of clicks up. Either load should be a superb deer or hog killer.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    ISRA Member
    US Navy Combat Vet 1970-1974

When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty. Thomas Jefferson
    Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! Barry Goldwater