6.8 SPC Forums banner

Best 270 Win powder?

22K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  trigger45 
#1 ·
OK guys I'm fixing to start loading .270 Win for my older brother and need some help on powder and load selection. I have pretty much every manual currently made and have looked at them all to see whats most recommended and it looks like there are a few favorites including, but not limited to, IMR 4350, IMR 4831, H4350, H4831(sc), RE19, & RE22 to name a few of the most popular.

I was given 100 pieces of nice once fired Winchester brass to start with so I picked up a set of RCBS FL dies and a Lee FCD to get the brass prepped and ready to load. I wont have access to the rifle to do any load testing so really I'm loading blind which I don't like but if I do enough research and start with a safe recommended load I'm sure I can find a load that's pretty accurate in most all 270 rifles. I'll be loading the 130gr bullets I already have on hand since that's the weight my brother likes anyway, I have Speer 130gr BTSP & HCSP, Sierra 130gr GK, & Nosler 130gr Accubonds to choose from(may load him some 110gr TTSX's later on since I have a few hundred).

So does anyone here have any experience loading this caliber with any of these bullets using any of the mentioned powders, if so what combo do you recommend for a good 2-250 yard deer load and why one over the other(especially the powder)?

So far I'm finding that 58 gr's of RE22 with a 130gr SP bullet seems to be a favorite among manuals and forums that have recommended loads, anyone care to comment on this load or powder for a good starting place?

I think the rifle in question is a Rem 700 bolt action(wood stock), I know it's a Rem but not sure of model.

Thanks as always,
EWP

See less See more
#2 ·
Not those bullets, but my .270 likes H4831.

#5 ·
What bullets does your 270 like?

I'm also thinking about some 130gr SST, I've seen some very good results from those as well on WT.

The bullets he said that have not done well for him are the plain 130gr Nosler BT and the Ballistic Silver Tip bullets, both gave poor results and deer with good shoulder shots and needed tracked by dogs to find.

#6 ·
Hornady ammunition boxes often have the load listed on the flap of the box. IIRC, they list the brand and weight of powder. I don't know if the Superformance line has this as the powder is not available to reloaders. This might be a good choice since they too must load "blind" and want their load to be accurate in most rifles. It's worth a try.

#7 ·
A good 270 Win. load

Try:

Bullet: Nosler 140 grain BT
Powder: 50 grains of H4831
Brass: Winchester
Primer: CCI Bench Rest
Cartridge Over All Length: 3.875

Daniel

#8 ·
Over the years I have used accubonds and Nosler BTs. Had preferred 140 gr when I could get them over the 130 and 150 gr projectiles but in last 3 to 4 years I settled on Barnes130 TSX w/ 55 gr H4350. Load these for myself and 2 hunting partners and the WT bucks are pretty much DRT or go less than 30 yards. Know they are effective at least out to 275 yards (no shots taken beyond that)

#9 ·
Speer 130 grain SPBT, 54.5 grains of H4350...

Mild load (1.5 grains below Max) very accurate in my model 700 and on my place I don't have long range shots so why destroy any more meat than I have to.

#12 ·
270 is the first caliber I started reloading for, and have loaded thousands of rounds. I have had the best luck with AA 4350, IMR 4831, and IMR 3031. 130 gr bullets ahve always been my best performers, 150's were never great.

#13 ·
130 gr bullets and H4831 are what made the .270 famous go with that and i doubt you will go wrong. IF you get one that wont respond to that powder Rx22 has been my fall back powder for a long time.

#15 ·
This may not help much but the best accuracy I have ever gotten with the 270 was with AA3100 with a 135gr matchking. That was with a featherweight mod 70 push feed gun, floated barrel with trigger work. Hunted with that combination for many years and killed many deer.

Good thing about the powder is you can't over charge a load in a 270 case and shows no high pressure signs but yet still get good velocity.

Bad thing about the powder is when it gets cold. I'm talking like a 0 degrees, The chamber pressure really drops. At 32 degrees you will be ok.

I've hunted when it was 20 below 0 with that load in the north but all the kills were at close range. The gun almost sounded subsonic when I shot.

#16 · (Edited)
I picked up a lb of RE22 this evening and load some 130gr Sierra GK's with the Sierra hunting load of 58.2gr(I used 58.0gr) since I have seen that one load recommended in more places than any other single load. I only loaded 20 rd's and will send them to him to try with a warning that they may be hot and to check the case and primer very good after each round is tested, the powder is pretty slow and doesn't come near filling the case so I think it will be a pretty safe load to begin with.

Any thoughts or opinions on the load I made before I send them? (Win brass, CCI-200 primer, 58gr Re22, 130gr SGK, 2.30" COL, light factory crimp)

While he's trying those loads I'm going to pick up some H4831sc and try a few of the most popular loads with it as well since it's getting the most recommendations here and it's also the accuracy powder in the Nosler manual for the 130gr Accubond at 55gr in a Win case.

Any other suggestion or comments welcome.

Thanks,
EWP

ETA: Hodgdon and Alliant powders are about all I can buy local, I may be able to get some IMR powder but anything else would have to be ordered and this project isn't going to be that important, I'm just trying to help him save some money on ammo for his hunting rifle while giving me something else to load for.

#17 · (Edited)
i'm thinking 2.3" is gonna be a bit short on the OAL. the bullets stuffed all the way into the case are gonna cause problems for sure ;^).

on a more serious note the load looks good but might be a little long depending on his gun. (i'm sure you ment 3.30") most of the factory guns of recent vintage are more like 3.25" OAL to make them happy but his may be just fine. only time and testing will tell.

#18 ·
only time and testing will tell.
Exactly. I load for 2 different .270s, both Ruger (one an M77, the other an M77 MkII), and both require different COAL's for best performance. The difference is dramatic enough that I have trouble closing the bolt on the MkII with ammo loaded for the M77 due to pushing the bullet into the lands.

#19 ·
I use the old Jack Oconner load of 55gr. of IMR 4350 with a 130gr. Nolser Partition. My Ruger #1 really likes this load and it is all I ever feed it. The Partition will ALWAYS get the job done. Other bullets may be more accurate but I've yet to find a bullet that will peneratrate the way a Partition does. Several years ago I took the only shot I had a very large 8 point buck. The deer was quarting away in thick timber and the only clear shot was his left hind quarter. I took the shot and he droped where he stood! I found the Partition rolled up under the hide of his right front shoulder, it had peneratrated the complete length of the deer, that's performance you can count on!

#21 · (Edited)
OK guys I'm fixing to start loading .270 Win for my older brother and need some help on powder and load selection. I have pretty much every manual currently made and have looked at them all to see whats most recommended and it looks like there are a few favorites including, but not limited to, IMR 4350, IMR 4831, H4350, H4831(sc), RE19, & RE22 to name a few of the most popular.

I was given 100 pieces of nice once fired Winchester brass to start with so I picked up a set of RCBS FL dies and a Lee FCD to get the brass prepped and ready to load. I wont have access to the rifle to do any load testing so really I'm loading blind which I don't like but if I do enough research and start with a safe recommended load I'm sure I can find a load that's pretty accurate in most all 270 rifles. I'll be loading the 130gr bullets I already have on hand since that's the weight my brother likes anyway, I have Speer 130gr BTSP & HCSP, Sierra 130gr GK, & Nosler 130gr Accubonds to choose from(may load him some 110gr TTSX's later on since I have a few hundred).

So does anyone here have any experience loading this caliber with any of these bullets using any of the mentioned powders, if so what combo do you recommend for a good 2-250 yard deer load and why one over the other(especially the powder)?

So far I'm finding that 58 gr's of RE22 with a 130gr SP bullet seems to be a favorite among manuals and forums that have recommended loads, anyone care to comment on this load or powder for a good starting place?

I think the rifle in question is a Rem 700 bolt action(wood stock), I know it's a Rem but not sure of model.

Thanks as always,
EWP
I would take the H-4831sc, start at about 56 gr. and work up toward 62. 4831 is one of the very best powders for that class of cartridge (incl 280 Remington and 30-06), and should give you something from 2800 fps up to about 3100 fps, give or take. I would also use the BTSP bullet for best long range accuracy. I used a similar load in .280 with the 140 gr. on mulies once. The deer humped up and dropped dead like he'd been hit by lightning! I would expect similar results with the .270.

Edit note: I would also try IMR-4350, as well as Varget. 4350 was one of my favorite powders in .30-06 class cartridges, and either that or 4831 were both exceptionally accurate, depending on the particular rifle. I currently use Varget in my 06 loads for the M1, and accuracy is outstanding. The .270 should rock and roll with one of those three.

#22 ·
My .270 bud offered this, 64 grains of H-1000 pushing 130 grain Hornady spire points. He gets 3,012fps out of a 22" Win. I saw the same load posted using 130 grain Nosler partitions.....all claim sub moa. My buddy uses this load on NM mule deer and claims its a DRT combination. The Hornady SP is a good bullet, I used their 139grn configuration in my 7mm mags years ago.
I questioned the H-1000 being too slow (I loaded 160 grn Barnes 7mm with H1000 and it worked well) for the 270, although Hodgdon recommends it for heavier 270 bullets along with the "over bored" calibers. He used H4831 prior to switching to H1000.....says he likes it better. Can't remember which article he read recommending this. I guess it boils down to what combination your rifle likes best. I had excellent success with H4831 with 25-06, but that's another story.......

#24 ·
While I don't load for the .270 Win, I do load for the .280 Rem. My go to load is IMR 4350, 53.5 grs., Fed 210M, and Nosler 150 gr. Ballistic Tip. This load gives me 3/16 " group at 100 yds., and I have used it for deer from 100 to 425 yds. It drops them in their tracks. I've also taken bobcat at over 200 yds. with it, and even a wild steer at 400 yds. with a "called" shot to the forehead.

IMR 4350 gives me consistent velocities of 2965 fps, out of a 22" Douglas #4 bbl.

#25 ·
Thanks guys, my brother is trying the first Re-22 loads now and when I hear back from him about how they did I will try some of these other powders and maybe some different bullets as well if he doesn't like the 130gr Accubond's or SGK's I loaded the first go round.

#27 ·
One of my best friends owns Trophy Ammo, and has loaded everything imaginable. He guarantees 1/2" groups with the ammo he loads for each specific rifle. So, several hundred rifles later, he knows pretty much which powder gives the best results for a given caliber. He uses H4831, and Re-22 for big 30 caliber rifles (300 Win, and Weatherby Mags.) He has recommended the IMR4350, and Re-19 for 30.06 sized cases. FYI:a04:

#29 ·
I think IMR 4350 and Re19 will be my next powders, I was going to pick up a 5lb jug of Re19 but someone else got it before I could get back to buy it.

I guarentee sub 1/2" groups with the ammo I load, if you cant shoot them then that's your fault:a04:

#30 ·
I have been shooting a 270 WIN since 1978 and started reloading about the same time. The load we came up with was 56gr of IMR 4831, cci large rifle primer and any 130gr 270 bullet. This is the middle load in an old Speer manual. If you look up this load in new manuals it will show it is over max. The bullet we are loading now is Nosler Accubond 130gr. We have not found a gun yet that does not like it. We have shot this load in Rugers, Remingtons, Browning & now a TC. Good Luck.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.