Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Best 270 Win powder?

OK guys I'm fixing to start loading .270 Win for my older brother and need some help on powder and load selection. I have pretty much every manual currently made and have looked at them all to see whats most recommended and it looks like there are a few favorites including, but not limited to, IMR 4350, IMR 4831, H4350, H4831(sc), RE19, & RE22 to name a few of the most popular.

I was given 100 pieces of nice once fired Winchester brass to start with so I picked up a set of RCBS FL dies and a Lee FCD to get the brass prepped and ready to load. I wont have access to the rifle to do any load testing so really I'm loading blind which I don't like but if I do enough research and start with a safe recommended load I'm sure I can find a load that's pretty accurate in most all 270 rifles. I'll be loading the 130gr bullets I already have on hand since that's the weight my brother likes anyway, I have Speer 130gr BTSP & HCSP, Sierra 130gr GK, & Nosler 130gr Accubonds to choose from(may load him some 110gr TTSX's later on since I have a few hundred).

So does anyone here have any experience loading this caliber with any of these bullets using any of the mentioned powders, if so what combo do you recommend for a good 2-250 yard deer load and why one over the other(especially the powder)?

So far I'm finding that 58 gr's of RE22 with a 130gr SP bullet seems to be a favorite among manuals and forums that have recommended loads, anyone care to comment on this load or powder for a good starting place?

I think the rifle in question is a Rem 700 bolt action(wood stock), I know it's a Rem but not sure of model.

Thanks as always,
    EWP

Not those bullets, but my .270 likes H4831.
    ***Come out for the Southeast Forum Shoot***

Full size image link

6.8 SPC info sheet
    He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. - TJ

68Forums.com lifer

I have no powder advice, but if he can get them at 2 yard go buy him a club.
    30HRT, what a 300BO wants to be when it grows up!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Team Helotes View Post
    I have no powder advice, but if he can get them at 2 yard go buy him a club.
    2-250 = 200-250 yds

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 68WJ View Post
    Not those bullets, but my .270 likes H4831.
    What bullets does your 270 like?

I'm also thinking about some 130gr SST, I've seen some very good results from those as well on WT.

The bullets he said that have not done well for him are the plain 130gr Nosler BT and the Ballistic Silver Tip bullets, both gave poor results and deer with good shoulder shots and needed tracked by dogs to find.

68Forums.com Team Member

Hornady ammunition boxes often have the load listed on the flap of the box. IIRC, they list the brand and weight of powder. I don't know if the Superformance line has this as the powder is not available to reloaders. This might be a good choice since they too must load "blind" and want their load to be accurate in most rifles. It's worth a try.

68Forums.com Team Member

Default A good 270 Win. load

Try:

Bullet: Nosler 140 grain BT
    Powder: 50 grains of H4831
    Brass: Winchester
    Primer: CCI Bench Rest
    Cartridge Over All Length: 3.875

Daniel
    Daniel
    Alexandria, Va

I make my first mistake everyday just by getting out of bed. After that, the mistakes start to cascade, erupting in a full fledge series of failures by the time I get to lunch. At dinner time, my catastrophes become radioactive and I have to shut down for the rest of the evening to avoid a complete melt down. If it weren’t for my sweet and loving wife, half the world would be missing by bedtime.

68Forums.com lifer

Over the years I have used accubonds and Nosler BTs. Had preferred 140 gr when I could get them over the 130 and 150 gr projectiles but in last 3 to 4 years I settled on Barnes130 TSX w/ 55 gr H4350. Load these for myself and 2 hunting partners and the WT bucks are pretty much DRT or go less than 30 yards. Know they are effective at least out to 275 yards (no shots taken beyond that)

68Forums.com lifer

Speer 130 grain SPBT, 54.5 grains of H4350...

Mild load (1.5 grains below Max) very accurate in my model 700 and on my place I don't have long range shots so why destroy any more meat than I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by EWP View Post
    What bullets does your 270 like?

I'm also thinking about some 130gr SST, I've seen some very good results from those as well on WT.

The bullets he said that have not done well for him are the plain 130gr Nosler BT and the Ballistic Silver Tip bullets, both gave poor results and deer with good shoulder shots and needed tracked by dogs to find.
    130 gr GMX and 140 gr BT for mine (worked up the BT loads, but want to try to duplicate with Accubonds). I don't doubt his experience with the BT. A 130 gr out of a .270 win is moving pretty fast and the BT just doesn't seem to handle it well. Long shots are probably good where the bullet has slowed down.
    Last edited by 68WJ; 10-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    ***Come out for the Southeast Forum Shoot***

Full size image link

6.8 SPC info sheet
    He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance. - TJ