Welcome to the Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com.

Advertise Here
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    6.8 Member

Default Rifle Weight: Is YOUR AR-15 a Fatty-Fatty?

I'm putting together a 6.8 SPC build and decided to see approximately how much the completed rifle will weigh. A few parts are still inbound, so these weights were mainly taken from the Maryland AR Shooters Group Google Spreadsheet (link below).

So, what does YOUR 6.8 SPC rifle weigh, "Fully Loaded & Out the Door"?

I think mine is going to weigh in right around 11.2 LBS 10.0 LBS even. [EDIT: the Trijicon 2.5-10x56 & Larue LT104 showed up today and I re-weighed everything and also dropped down to loaded 15rd PRI mags (instead of a 25rd PRI]. Granted, this is primarily a hog gun and I could get it down to about 8.25 LBS if I swapped the Accupoint for an Aimpoint and ditched both BUIS. I was surprised by the 25-rd PRI mag weight. They definitely feel heavier than a standard 30rd USGI magazine, but I had no idea they were a solid 1/2 pound boat anchor each!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...ndefined#gid=0
    Attached Images
    Last edited by TXAGGIECCL; 04-11-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Re-weighed rifle as more parts showed up.

6.8 Member

My first 6.8 is 9.9 lbs as shown loaded with 30 rounds. That's down from 10.4 when I had a CTR, MIAD and AFG on it. Magpul stuff is heavy.

My second is a mere 8 lbs as shown loaded with 25 rounds.
    I have no idea what I am doing, and it shows!

Banned

As pictured except FH is now a WC AccuTac instead of the Vortex.

Mega receivers
    12" DD Lite rail w/DD QD sling attachment
    16" Recon barrel
    Vltor GB
    forged CH w/PRI Combat latch
    WC FH
    Troy BUIS
    YNM BCG
    LMT H Buffer
    Magpul ASP plate
    Mil-Spec receiver ext
    Carbine spring
    Magpul ACS w/boresnake
    MIAD w/front sight tool and plastic dummy round
    Larue QD mount
    Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 w/Aluminum lens covers
    PRI 15 round mag
    5 rounds Hornady V-Max

weight: 9lbs 10oz

Fatty would partialy defeat the purpose wouldn't it? RRA lists mine at 7.1 lbs. I suppose it could be 7.5 with the EOTech, I would have to weigh it to know.

68Forums.com Team Member

I dont know what this one wieghs but it doesnt seem that bad
    Molṑn Labé
    http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf
    "I figure we are gunman because we are better then most, and it beats branding cows or digging copper" -Appaloosa
    Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.-Thomas Paine

6.8 SPC Fan

With Leupold scope as shown 9lbs 12.75oz
    With Aimpoint CompM2, 9lbs 2.75oz
    Ten rounds in mag.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 03-31-2011 at 12:42 PM.

I don't know and I dont' care as it's not too much and not cumbersome. I always found the obsession with weight to be a little odd considering we kicked the nazi's a$$ across Europe with 18yrs olds lugging garands.....

also, I like all the stuff I have on mine and like I said, the weight is manageable.....

6.8 SPC Lover

Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    I don't know and I dont' care as it's not too much and not cumbersome. I always found the obsession with weight to be a little odd considering we kicked the nazi's a$$ across Europe with 18yrs olds lugging garands.....

also, I like all the stuff I have on mine and like I said, the weight is manageable.....

I carried a Garand in Boot camp and OCS; therefore, I like my rifles as light as possible. My latest 6.8 was just under nine pounds with optic (no mag).

Quote Originally Posted by lwrkeysfisher View Post

I carried a Garand in Boot camp and OCS; therefore, I like my rifles as light as possible. My latest 6.8 was just under nine pounds with optic (no mag).
    you missed my intent. Of course lighter is better all things being equal. I was merely saying that for the limited range or hunting time your gonna carry, its not gonna make a bit of difference

68Forums.com lifer

I don't have a digital scale..but best I can tell my rifle weighs 7lbs on the nose. Feels no different weight wise than a ruger compact mag. I have which weighs 7lbs also on the same scale.

Noveske Rogue Hunter
    ergo grip
    ts31 acog- larue qd mount
    15 round pri mag-empty
    A2 flash...which will be replaced this weekend with a 4x4 mcd. will add a couple ounces
    vtac sling was not on- so a couple more ounces with that.

with a loaded 15 round mag,sling and new mcd, rifle should still weigh in a touch under 8lbs.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Benjamin Franklin